Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Have a question about earning UA miles - I have an upcoming Air China flight class V ticketed by Cathay Pacific (of course it is one world not Star Alliance).

Can i earn EQM and redeemable miles on the Air China flight if I input my UA account for Air China flight?

Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Tommys888
Have a question about earning UA miles - I have an upcoming Air China flight class V ticketed by Cathay Pacific (of course it is one world not Star Alliance).

Can i earn EQM and redeemable miles on the Air China flight if I input my UA account for Air China flight?
Yes. In Star Alliance, mileage accrual depends on operating carrier, not ticketing carrier.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tommys888

Thanks!
Yes, you can get Premier Qualifying Miles and redeemable miles for the Air China flight. You will earn according to the charts on this page -- it looks like 100% of the distance flown for PQMs, and 75% of the distance flown for redeemable miles. You will not earn Premier Qualifying Dollars.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Thank you both for the reply!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:58 pm

Smile Thanks!

Originally Posted by Kacee
About $185 per passenger. Most of that is UK taxes and fees. The US departure costs only $5.60.
Thanks very much - thats very helpful :-)
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: MileagePlus
I got an email from United saying I could upgrade to Economy Plus for a flight next week...but when I click on Select a Seat it's still trying to force me to pay. I called a Customer Service person who said I can only upgrade 24 hours out, which is the standard MileagePlus Premier Silver window...but this clearly says PICK YOUR SEAT now. I don't understand. Was the email an error?

"We're upgrading you to Economy Plus for your Chicago flight"
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kac2138
I got an email from United saying I could upgrade to Economy Plus for a flight next week...but when I click on Select a Seat it's still trying to force me to pay. I called a Customer Service person who said I can only upgrade 24 hours out, which is the standard MileagePlus Premier Silver window...but this clearly says PICK YOUR SEAT now. I don't understand. Was the email an error?

"We're upgrading you to Economy Plus for your Chicago flight"
There have been a few reports of these offers but as most active FT posters already have E+ access, we are not very familiar with the offer. Have not seen the terms and conditions of the offers to understand the details which may be different from the headline. Also, the phone agents are probably not very familiar with these new offers so a second try on the phone might be worth the effort.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by FTA
Even international reward business tickets get free lounge access correct? Thank you
Originally Posted by FTA
I just have the Explorers card so I don't qualify for the Polaris lounge correct? Haven't booked the ticket yet but will be flying direct from the US to PEK on United
There are three ways to get lounge access... (a) class of service - if you have a biz class ticket for an international flight, or (b) you have status with the airline or some other type of card that offers access, or (c) paid entry.

In your case you have access by class of service. You don't also need a card on top of that.

If you are flying polaris this will give you the best lounge access available (polaris lounges, where available).
FTA likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There have been a few reports of these offers but as most active FT posters already have E+ access, we are not very familiar with the offer. Have not seen the terms and conditions of the offers to understand the details which may be different from the headline. Also, the phone agents are probably not very familiar with these new offers so a second try on the phone might be worth the effort.
United Customer Care emailed m back. Said they authorized an upgrade and I could go ahead and change the seat. I still couldn’t do it on the app so I called them and they did it over the phone. Yay.

Another one one for the group: when I have a same day itinerary (for example EWR to ORD and back same day) and I check in in the morning, I appear on the upgrade list for the first flight. Since I never actually check in on the second flight, I never get added to the upgrade list. I asked a gate agent last time and she manually added me to the list. What am I doing wrong? I know I’m silver so I’m never getting upgraded anyway but I’m moving up so I want it to work.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
when I have a same day itinerary (for example EWR to ORD and back same day) and I check in in the morning, I appear on the upgrade list for the first flight. Since I never actually check in on the second flight, I never get added to the upgrade list. I asked a gate agent last time and she manually added me to the list. What am I doing wrong? I know I’m silver so I’m never getting upgraded anyway but I’m moving up so I want it to work.
I don't understand "I never actually check in on the second flight", Did you get a BP for the second flight when you checked in for the first flight?
To get a BP, you have to have checked in but it may be doing it at the same time as the first flight due to the short turn.
Is the turn in ORD under 4 hours?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:03 pm

I don't understand "I never actually check in on the second flight", Did you get a BP for the second flight when you checked in for the first flight?
To get a BP, you have to have checked in but it may be doing it at the same time as the first flight due to the short turn.
Is the turn in ORD under 4 hours?
Here’s what I did last Monday, EWR to ORD and back:

Sunday: check in for Monday 6:30 am eastern flight and get boarding pass for first flight (return is 4:15 pm central). Immediately added to upgrade list for morning flight but can’t see afternoon flight.
Monday: took morning flight. Realize I want to add bp to Apple Wallet so I log back in and pull down the second bp. No check in though. App says I’m already checked in. Notice I’m not on upgrade list for second flight. Check with gate agent later. She manually adds me.

So so I don’t check in twice, or trying to manually check in again does not add me to the list.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:12 pm

...Realize I want to add bp to Apple Wallet so I log back in and pull down the second bp. No check in though. App says I’m already checked in. ...
So the first check-in also did the second flight check-in. Like due to the short turn (sub-4-hour??)
...Notice I’m not on upgrade list for second flight. ...
First guess this is an unrelated issue. See what happens the next time before concluding correlation.
...So so I don’t check in twice, ...
because you were already checked-in.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:17 pm

So the first check-in also did the second flight check-in. Like due to the short turn (sub-4-hour??)
First guess this is an unrelated issue. See what happens the next time before concluding correlation.
because you were already checked-in.
It’s not sub 4 hours. First flight departs 7:30 NY and next is 5:15 NY. This has happened to me 3 times now, but I’m not suggesting there’s another issue. Just the weird issue on the upgrade. The gate agent actually noted “added to upgrade list” was not appended to the bottom of my second boarding pass.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:44 pm

It’s not sub 4 hours. First flight departs 7:30 NY and next is 5:15 NY. ,,,
The sub-4-hours refers to the arrival in ORD to the departure in ORD -- but you are at about 7 hours. However, it appears the system is treating these short trips are connecting OWs and not a roundtrip, hence the check-in of the "return" is being done on the outbound. Usually, a break of 4-hours creates a stopover and prevents the check-in of the return. United has always been a bit squirrely on same day returns.

Possible try having the agent uncheck-in the return and then you can try re-checking-in
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:27 am

If an airport doesn't come up on united.com, do phone agents have access to it?
Example is Jinka (BCO), which is served by ET.
It is not seen by UA, Avianca, or ANA. It is seen by Aeroplan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.