Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Opinions please.. If I am going BUD to LAS would you choose BUD to MUC to LAX to LAS or BUD to FRA to DEN to LAS?? Total travel time is about the same. Either way I am looking at BUD to DEN/LAX on LH for their PE seats.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:22 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by gene2632
Opinions please.. If I am going BUD to LAS would you choose BUD to MUC to LAX to LAS or BUD to FRA to DEN to LAS?? Total travel time is about the same. Either way I am looking at BUD to DEN/LAX on LH for their PE seats.
I would avoid FRA, it's a pain
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If I am going BUD to LAS would you choose BUD to MUC to LAX to LAS or BUD to FRA to DEN to LAS?? Total travel time is about the same.
A lot depends on the time of day and length of the layovers, but if everything else is acceptable, I would probably go through DEN to avoid LAX. Immigration should be much smoother in DEN.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:29 pm

Thanks. We do have Global Entry so that will help with immigration and customs. The only advantage I can see going to LAX is a longer flight in PE and a shorter hop to LAS to end the trip. Once I get the dates settled I will take a closer look at connection times before I make the plunge. Anyway I do it it means two stops, something that is very new to me after 30+ years of being based out of EWR.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Edited: MUC over FRA, LAX over DEN, especially if you are *G and can access the *A lounge.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I would probably go through DEN to avoid LAX. Immigration should be much smoother in DEN.
Well that's totally backwards.

I've seen horrific lines at DEN. LAX has mostly been very good for several years now.
abaheti likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; Apr 22, 2019 at 3:53 am Reason: Misread itinerary the first time
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I would avoid FRA, it's a pain
I agree I always prefer MUC to FRA, though that's principally because I'm normally coming in/going back to UK which is from B gates and usually my other connection is from A/Z which involves the tunnel to go between. MUC is much easier to move beween gates whereever you come/go out. Having said that you will probably be coming in from BUD on A and departing from Z which is vertically above A, so not so bad.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I've seen horrific lines at DEN. LAX has mostly been very good for several years now.
Global Entry at LAX is a happy thing, so I'd take the longer leg, MUC (FRA is a pain, as stated before), and then hop to LAS. Depending on time of year, fewer delay risks at LAX too. But if you do immigration at Tom Bradley you have to get yourself to T7/T8 for your UA flight to LAS which may reduce your fun time available at the *A lounge and involve a trek.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:29 pm

thanks for all of the advice. Leaning towards using LAX at this point just to fly on an A380 one time. One of us is *Gold so we will be taking advantage of lounges when we have time. The only draw back to all of this is the 6am departure from BUD.....I doubt traffic from center city to the airport will be an issue at 3:30am
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Just because someone has a different experience or opinion doesn't make them or their opinion backwards. I stand my mine.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 22, 2019 at 8:39 pm Reason: Unneeded comment removed
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:42 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Just because someone has a different experience or opinion doesn't make them or their opinion backwards. I stand my mine.
As an independent observer, my read of "backwards" in this context is "reversed," not "wrong."

Then again, what do I know, English isn't my first language .....
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: Star Alliance
GPU on Saver economy (X/XN) Award

Hi all, just like to confirm that GPUs cannot be applied to X/XN award tickets. I am a 1K.

I assume not because it's not a paid fare, but I've also heard stories of GS being able to do this.

Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Brent Brady
Hi all, just like to confirm that GPUs cannot be applied to X/XN award tickets. I am a 1K.

I assume not because it's not a paid fare, but I've also heard stories of GS being able to do this. ...
Both your understandings are correct

1Ks cannot use GPUs on award tickets but GS can.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
As an independent observer, my read of "backwards" in this context is "reversed," not "wrong."

Then again, what do I know, English isn't my first language .....
I am a native English speaker, and I endorse your reading.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:08 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but here goes. I have 180k miles and need to get 3 award tickets R/T to Russia on the second or third week of June (1 adult 2 kids) and coming back in like August. Unfortunately, United only has 70k awards, for June, I don't see any 30k ones. The only closest 30k awards are May 30th, and July 5th. If, let's say, I book one of those, can I call and switch my ticket to the date I want in June? Or will United ask me for an additional 40k miles per ticket?

I did try calling them about award availability and they said they also only see 70k flights in June.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stormpelt
If, let's say, I book one of those, can I call and switch my ticket to the date I want in June? Or will United ask me for an additional 40k miles per ticket?
They will ask for the additional miles. Saver-level availability can be difficult to find during popular travel times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.