Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
You won't be able to change your flight without getting your bag re-tagged. You can try explaining the situation in LAX and see if you get a sympathetic agent.
Awesome! thanks jsloan, it’s much appreciated.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sooty
Im moving from Australia to Houston. Originally had a flight that gets into LAX at 6.40am and leaving at 12.55am as I was going to meet up with friends in the afternoon.

The United attendant said I couldn’t check my bags through as the connection was greater than 12 hours. So I switched my flight to an earlier flight.
Old restriction but some agents still enforce
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Originally Posted by sooty
...would there be any issues if I now change my flights to the later flight. I fully acknowledge I need to do customs in LAX. I just don’t want to be lugging around bags all day.
Are you talking about SDC after checking bags? Can be difficult to do SDC and would require an agent (not app). But it probably would work.

If you SDC before checking bags, the checkin agent may ofject to the 17 hour layover for bags.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Economy Plus Automatic Upgrade

I booked a roundtrip flight from LAX to Tokyo. First leg is on United, second is via ANA. As you all know, MileagePlus Gold and above get automatic upgrades from Economy to EconomyPlus when flying with United directly. Does this same perk extend to ANA and other Star Alliance as well? Basically, do I get the same upgrade privilege on the ANA leg as I do on the United leg?

Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, slumber123
Originally Posted by slumber123
I booked a roundtrip flight from LAX to Tokyo. First leg is on United, second is via ANA. As you all know, MileagePlus Gold and above get automatic upgrades from Economy to EconomyPlus when flying with United directly. ...
E+ access is a benefit on UA for just UA elites.

Originally Posted by slumber123
Does this same perk extend to ANA and other Star Alliance as well? Basically, do I get the same upgrade privilege on the ANA leg as I do on the United leg?....
The concept of E+ does not exist on other *A carriers. Those carriers do have limited "preferred" seating --- bulkheads, exit row, ... for their elites. A few may offer access for UA elites at the gate but in general no. You can ask at the gate for an "improved" seat.
slumber123 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:02 pm
FTA

Why are there no first class seats from ORD to PEK in the next month or so?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by FTA
Why are there no first class seats from ORD to PEK in the next month or so?
On UA? UA no longer has international first class.

Are you asking about another carrier? Cash or award tickets?
FTA likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:37 pm
FTA

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA no longer has international first class.
Yes UA. Oh, didn't know that. Thank you
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
I should know this. Looking at LAX-xxx-ADD in business. See LAX-YYZ-ADD, with the first leg Air Canada economy, connecting to Ethiopian business. Can I wait list for business on AC, or is that just on UA metal? And if I can, from a practical standpoint, any chance it will happen? Thanks.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by abaheti
Looking at LAX-xxx-ADD in business. See LAX-YYZ-ADD, with the first leg Air Canada economy, connecting to Ethiopian business. Can I wait list for business on AC
No, not possible.
abaheti likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:30 am

Does Air Canada fly to ADD?

Last edited by FlyingHighlander; Apr 3, 2019 at 10:36 am
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Does Air Canada fly to ADD?
No
The OP is asking about waitlisting on the LAX-YYZ leg operated by AC and then continuing to ADD on ET.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I'm a lifetime United Club member. Over the years they send out a new membership card whenever there is a branding change. Just out of curiosity does anyone know if annual members still receive physical cards? I know UA Golds no longer receive cards.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No
The OP is asking about waitlisting on the LAX-YYZ leg operated by AC and then continuing to ADD on ET.
Thanks. I realized that when I re-read the post, but the damage was done
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I'm a lifetime United Club member. Over the years they send out a new membership card whenever there is a branding change. Just out of curiosity does anyone know if annual members still receive physical cards? I know UA Golds no longer receive cards.
Yes, I received mine yesterday.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
UC members are presently provided a UC card. As it is the only way to get admission to partner clubs -- UC membership is not reflected in the PNR or BP.
There is a UC membership virtual card in the app, so perhaps in the future, this could change.
worldwidedreamer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.