Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
GUM-HNL should require a GPU and minimum W fare, but it has historically been very inconsistent when it comes to the computer. I would take what the computer gave you and ask no more questions

Otherwise, as long as there are no stopovers along the way, it is normal for one certificate to cover that. I once used one GPU to upgrade NRT-GUM-(hopper)-HNL-LAX-SFO.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
GUM-HNL should require a GPU and minimum W fare, but it has historically been very inconsistent when it comes to the computer. I would take what the computer gave you and ask no more questions

Otherwise, as long as there are no stopovers along the way, it is normal for one certificate to cover that. I once used one GPU to upgrade NRT-GUM-(hopper)-HNL-LAX-SFO.
In the spirit of "ask no more questions," I have a follow up question...

There was a time change for the HNL-LAX flight, which I've already accepted. (The flight number is the same.). The new time (9:37) shows up as the first and third flight in the picture, and the old time is the middle. (It shows first class, and the option to select a seat, but when I go to the seat menu I'm unable to actually click on any of the first class seats. - but that's not my concern.)

My concern is that there's a dummy flight interfering with this booking. Normally I'd call (or send a message over twitter) asking them to remove this incorrect segment, but I don't want to mess up my odds of the other two flights' upgrades clearing.

Should I just leave it alone? Would it give me any heartache at check-in?

Thanks again for your wisdom & advice!!

Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Since you have a waitlisted PZ segment at the new time, I think you are still correctly in line for the upgrade on HNL-LAX. You're right in that the 8:45p segment is now an orphan and needs to get deleted. I would probably take a shot at asking them to clean up the record, but obviously up to you. You do run the risk of someone wondering how GUM-HNL was upgraded, but I think at least 4 out 5 they will either not look carefully or honor that the computer already upgraded you. UA is pretty good about honoring its own IT mistakes as long as they aren't crazy.
LASNRT likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: BA
This may be a question for the Aer Lingus people, but I know you can redeem United miles on Aer Lingus, but can you not redeem Air Lingus miles (Avios) on United? Why one-sided?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
SDC=Same Day Change
Free for Gold & higher and also free at a connecting airport (flying AAA-BBB-CCC, free at BBB)
$75 for others
A method for changing flights -- as long as origin and destination of the trip remain unchanged -- allows for routing changes.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ions-wiki.html
Thank you so much. I'll keep that in mind.
However, it may not work well for me considering that my United flights booked right now are all one-leg each way. No "BBB" to do a SDC with.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by risenmyth
Thank you so much. I'll keep that in mind.
However, it may not work well for me considering that my United flights booked right now are all one-leg each way. No "BBB" to do a SDC with.
You can change a non-stop into a connecting flight. For example if you are flying ORD-IAD you can change it to ORD-EWR-IAD.

Read the wiki here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ions-wiki.html
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: *G
I've got award tickets for relatives who have no status. It's domestic Y (waitlisted for F) connecting to international J, all UA.

Assuming the waitlist does not clear, do they still have access to priority check-in, priority boarding, extra check-in luggage allowance, and access to lounge at departure airport for first segment?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by deniah
I've got award tickets for relatives who have no status. It's domestic Y (waitlisted for F) connecting to international J, all UA.

Assuming the waitlist does not clear, do they still have access to priority check-in, priority boarding, extra check-in luggage allowance, and access to lounge at departure airport for first segment?
Yes
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Looking at a 752 LIM-EWR flight in late August departing on a Monday - what is the likelihood of P opening up again if the current availability is J9 C7 D2 Z1 ZN1? Slim-to-none I assume?

I am deciding to wait or book the 1 stop option in P and hope for a SDC.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:12 am

Question re: change fee. I bought a RT T class ticket. I was at the airport today, feeling ill, so offered to VDB on an oversold flight rather than fly with a GI bug. At the last minute my seat wasn't needed, but the GA took pity and rebooked me for tomorrow. That ticket's fare class is now Y. I'm still sick, so am considering postponing my trip. Does the Y outbound bucket affect cancellation/change fees? I don't expect it to, but it just hit me that paid Y is flexible. Of course my return bucket is still T... I'm prepared to pay the change fee, but am curious how this gets handled.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mehitabel
Does the Y outbound bucket affect cancellation/change fees? ... Of course my return bucket is still T...
A ticket is governed by its most restrictive component, so even if it is real Y (which it may or may not be), it should have no effect.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
A ticket is governed by its most restrictive component, so even if it is real Y (which it may or may not be), it should have no effect.
I can't think of any scenario under which the fare rules would change. There are plenty of other places where UA uses the RBD instead of the fare class (meaning Y rather than T in this scenario), but I don't think calculating changes would be one of them, since I don't think they actually refare the tickets when they rebook them. For changes (not refunds), the most restrictive language generally only applies to the changed fare components.

That said, OP: if you're too sick to travel, UA will refund your change fees. You may need to get a doctor's note saying that travel is inadvisable.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 30, 2019 at 5:11 pm Reason: split post
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Originally Posted by jsloan
I can't think of any scenario under which the fare rules would change. There are plenty of other places where UA uses the RBD instead of the fare class (meaning Y rather than T in this scenario), but I don't think calculating changes would be one of them, since I don't think they actually refare the tickets when they rebook them. For changes (not refunds), the most restrictive language generally only applies to the changed fare components.

That said, OP: if you're too sick to travel, UA will refund your change fees. You may need to get a doctor's note saying that travel is inadvisable.
Thank you both for useful info!

jsloan, now I'm curious how it works for refunds if you don't mind elaborating? (for educational purposes - I'm going ahead and changing this one)

Last edited by mehitabel; Mar 29, 2019 at 10:43 am Reason: adding a question
Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:09 pm

Quick question.

Im moving from Australia to Houston. Originally had a flight that gets into LAX at 6.40am and leaving at 12.55am as I was going to meet up with friends in the afternoon.

The United attendant said I couldn’t check my bags through as the connection was greater than 12 hours. So I switched my flight to an earlier flight.

Apart from the moral ethics, would there be any issues if I now change my flights to the later flight. I fully acknowledge I need to do customs in LAX. I just don’t want to be lugging around bags all day.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sooty
Apart from the moral ethics, would there be any issues if I now change my flights to the later flight. I fully acknowledge I need to do customs in LAX. I just don’t want to be lugging around bags all day.
You won't be able to change your flight without getting your bag re-tagged. You can try explaining the situation in LAX and see if you get a sympathetic agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.