Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:12 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by kiloohm
I had a flight FSD-DEN-PHX-EWR-YHZ (I know this is crazy but it was the only way to get to my destination at the time I needed to). The PHX-EWR segment was a red eye so wanted to maximize my chances of upgrading it. I called in to be waitlisted using a RPU only on that segment and my reservation showed as such.
Before the flight, the DEN-PHX segment cleared upgrade using a CPU but the PHX-EWR didn't clear and I never got the RPU redeposited in my account.

Questions are: should I get my RPU back in that case? How long does it take to get is back (flight was 3 weeks ago). Should I email 1K voice to ask for it?

I'm new to 1K status so not sure how to proceed...
Yes, you should get your RPU back.

It is not always automatic. When I was 1K I always called, but you should be able to do it via 1K email as well.
kiloohm and Kannai like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Just a quick question,

I will fly LAX-XXX tomorrow on a direct red-eye flight however I have the option to change my flight to LAX-EWR-XXX as I also want to experience the new UA 787-10 and their Premium Service route Economy service. I have heard that United started to serve the regular 3h+ domestic product on their LAX-EWR and SFO-LAX routes on their Economy and EconomyPlus cabin. Is this true or they still serve an improved service ( like AA or DL from JFK ).

Thanks in advance,
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ekwang
Flying Z fare end of month RT PDX-DUB: Can I use this business class lounge?
I don't know the current lounge situation in DUB, but there is almost always a contract lounge for paid J pax who are departing. Last I heard it was 51st & Green for flights which have US preclearance.

Originally Posted by Mogreen
Flying SEA-IAH-FRA 3/24 and return is FRA-ORD-SEA 3/29 and have applied GPU hoping for upgrade Am a 1K . When I look at Manage Trip on the United website it has shown Upgrade requested next to each segment.

Today the FRA-ORD segment is now repeated at the bottom with a yellow border , and states Flight To Chicago Waitlisted

Any idea what this means , positive ? negative ? This is the international segment with the most availability so thinking positive but have not seen an indication that upgrade went through
You should check carefully that the FRA-ORD segment with the waitlist is exactly the same flight as the confirmed Economy segment. While the display sometimes does this (and it doesn't mean anything), it will always do it if there is e.g. a minor schedule change and the waitlisted PZ segment is not changed to reflect that. If the upgrade request is out of sync, it will not clear.

Also, as an aside, you can fly SEA-FRA nonstop on LH and I find it to be a much easier upgrade. (It does require a slightly more expensive Economy fare though.)

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Just a quick question,

I will fly LAX-XXX tomorrow on a direct red-eye flight however I have the option to change my flight to LAX-EWR-XXX as I also want to experience the new UA 787-10 and their Premium Service route Economy service. I have heard that United started to serve the regular 3h+ domestic product on their LAX-EWR and SFO-LAX routes on their Economy and EconomyPlus cabin. Is this true or they still serve an improved service ( like AA or DL from JFK ).

Thanks in advance,
What "improved service" are you thinking of? On p.s. routes, UA will serve a hot meal and free alcoholic beverages in Economy Plus, and no additional soft product in Economy. If you have access to the E+ cabin, the 787-10 gives you a shot at choosing a Premium Economy seat for the same price, and getting the E+ service.
ekwang likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Originally Posted by QtownDave
I don't know, maybe 6K for each person.

EWR-MUC and then VIE-EWR.
Domestic flights on NH in Japan are 5K one-way short distances, 8K long distance,
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Something odd happened today, maybe you guys can help.

I was checking in today for my IAD-EWR-BOS flights. During that I was asked if I wanted to volunteer (650 USD was the lowest bid for me to select) to take a different flight. The options I had were 10:30 am, 12:30 pm and one more flight I do not recall. The odd things is that my original flight is scheduled to depart at 5:25 pm, thus later than all the other flights which never happened to me before. So I went to the airport to aim for the 12:30 pm flight. I approached the agents at check-in, information desk and gate, but all were clueless how to handle this since they only look for people that volunteer to take a later flight if their flight is overbooked.

Anyways, did this happen to anyone else? And if so, how did you handle the situation. The way it looks like I got myself a lot more time in the lounge than planned and will have to take the flight as I had booked it.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flauschie_Mr
The odd things is that my original flight is scheduled to depart at 5:25 pm, thus later than all the other flights which never happened to me before..
It doesn't make any sense that they would ask for volunteers and offer flights several hours earlier. Are you certain those weren't for flights tomorrow or the day after? That's happened to me, and it's extremely subtle; I missed it at first. They print the date but don't call it out or highlight it or anything.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by jsloan
It doesn't make any sense that they would ask for volunteers and offer flights several hours earlier. Are you certain those weren't for flights tomorrow or the day after? That's happened to me, and it's extremely subtle; I missed it at first. They print the date but don't call it out or highlight it or anything.
I checked the United App yesterday (Sunday) and had similar offers for the same time (the $ amount was lower though, 300USD at that time). However, I have to admit that I did not check the date, maybe all the 'offers' where indeed for tomorrow Tuesday.

Is there any way that allows me to look at the bid I made to find out what date it was for?

Last edited by Flauschie_Mr; Mar 4, 2019 at 11:34 am
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I have an award flight booked as 2 RT's for a total of 10 people on multiple reservations. I need to swap one of the persons in our party. I know that you cannot simply do a name change, you must cancel and rebook with the new person. I would like to book the same flights. On the outbound flights, one segment is on UA and the other is AC. On the return flights, there are 2 UA segments. I believe that when you cancel a UA award flight, X or XN availability typically opens up right away. However, I don't know about AC. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Would be convenient to have all 10 of us on the same flights rather than 9 on one and 1 on another. Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by trmbn65
I believe that when you cancel a UA award flight, X or XN availability typically opens up right away.
I would say this is rarely true. You may get lucky, but you should expect to have to pay for the new person.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
. I believe that when you cancel a UA award flight, X or XN availability typically opens up right away. ....
Perhaps if you book and cancel very soon afterwards but if there has been any significant lapse of time, I would not expect for that to happen. Same for partners.

Award inventory is not an isolated quantity. Award inventory is part of an overall picture and if space is returned later the carrier may or may not make it available immediately or later as award space.

So it may happen but you can not count on it.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I have an award flight booked as 2 RT's for a total of 10 people on multiple reservations. I need to swap one of the persons in our party. I know that you cannot simply do a name change, you must cancel and rebook with the new person. I would like to book the same flights. On the outbound flights, one segment is on UA and the other is AC. On the return flights, there are 2 UA segments. I believe that when you cancel a UA award flight, X or XN availability typically opens up right away. However, I don't know about AC. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Would be convenient to have all 10 of us on the same flights rather than 9 on one and 1 on another. Thanks.
I considered canceling and rebooking a UA award on AC metal for our family of 5 (within 24 hours of booking). Was told that those seats may or may not go back into inventory and that UA only has access to 9 seats. So there were only 4 left for our flight. Not knowing if we could ensure the fifth seat, I just left as is. If there is an available seat on the UA website for your flights, I’d suggest booking a new ticket then canceling the original one. Also you’d want to know how quickly points from cancellation repost to your account, if you need them for rebooking. I once had to wait a day or two to get some Delta points back. Maddening.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Award booking changeable within 24 hr?

I seem to recall that an award booking made on the UA website (this would be for a *A round-trip), can be changed/cancelled without fee/penalty within 24 hr of the booking. Is this still true?

Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I got a UA RT flight booked in Economy via LH.
My UA MP number including seat reservations are saved via LH website.
But when I open the booking on UA website, it shows no frequent flyer details at all.
When I try to add that information via UA website, it's telling me that there is a mismatch with my name and UA MP details - I think because LH put "MRDR" in there which UA can't process.
I'm a bit afraid to miss out on my opportunity to get upgraded to Eco+ due to UA MP status.
What is the easiest way to fix this? Will it work at check-in? Call UA? Call LH to remove the MRDR from my name?
Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I seem to recall that an award booking made on the UA website (this would be for a *A round-trip), can be changed/cancelled without fee/penalty within 24 hr of the booking. Is this still true?

Thanks
Yes.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Flying lax-ewr-dtw tomorrow.
Used an RPU for lax-ewr but specifically excluded ewr-Dtw for me and my fiancée.

After checking in today, I show up on the CPU list ewr-dtw but not, my fiancée. I know that reservations get split automatically at checkin, but should that exclude her for being CPU eligible with me on the second flight?

1K desk said airport would have to add her.
i rechecked her in - she appears to have my status still, can pick e+ seats and SDC for free, etc. The app also says she has been added to the CPU list.

Last edited by BThumme; Mar 6, 2019 at 10:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.