Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Corporate booking option on United.com & UA App

Old Jul 12, 16, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

My company just announced a pilot project that allows us to book flights directly on United.com instead of Concur. Signing up for the pilot results in a "Corporate booking" checkbox being added to the United.com reservation forms.

I'm curious if anyone else is doing this and, if so, what advantages or limitations there are to booking through united instead of Concur.
Old Jul 12, 16, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme View Post
My company just announced a pilot project that allows us to book flights directly on United.com instead of Concur. Signing up for the pilot results in a "Corporate booking" checkbox being added to the United.com reservation forms.

I'm curious if anyone else is doing this and, if so, what advantages or limitations there are to booking through united instead of Concur.
My company also uses Concur with Balboa. We are required to use this system. I don't see us doing what your company is doing for a couple reasons.

1. As we all go through one portal it is easy to track corporate bookings to see if meeting targets for discounts.

2. As we are required to book cheapest flight within a tolerance, booking direct on UA would eliminate the comparison to other airlines and would raise costs because if another airline is significantly cheaper, on UA would not see that.
Old Jul 12, 16, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
My company also uses Concur with Balboa. We are required to use this system. I don't see us doing what your company is doing for a couple reasons.

1. As we all go through one portal it is easy to track corporate bookings to see if meeting targets for discounts.

2. As we are required to book cheapest flight within a tolerance, booking direct on UA would eliminate the comparison to other airlines and would raise costs because if another airline is significantly cheaper, on UA would not see that.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. We use Concur as well, for all of the reasons you list. And Concur isn't going away. Tickets purchased on United.com are supposed to show up in Concur (the sign up process involved linking my Concur account to my United account).

I can't imagine that our travel management group didn't think of the fact that we wouldn't be able to see fares on other airlines. And I'm guessing that United.com isn't suddenly going to start showing competing flights. So somehow this still made enough business sense to justify a pilot.
Old Jul 12, 16, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Concur is simply compliance software which works with other booking software. That could be, for instance United.com.

Concur can check to make sure that a given traveler is complying with whatever rules the traveler's employer sets for that traveler, e.g., class of service, carrier, refundable, and so on.

Presumably, OP's employer has worked it out so that UA will provide all of the reporting which the employer needs.
Old Jul 13, 16, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Not sure how beneficial it is necessarily for the traveler, per say, unless they specifically want to travel on UA (I know...many on this forum). However, for the corporation, yes, has the ability to raise costs if prices aren't being compared to other carriers. But would likely bring down costs in other ways - no paying Concur a 'commision' or whatever, no extra fees to the corporate for changes, cancelations, etc. And for UA, pretty much guaranteed business (and they probably are discounting rates for that).

If the corporation has a contract to fly specifically UA anyway (I forget the term used in the past - but basically, the corporate contract requires employees to fly UA in most cases anyway), I could only see this as a benefit to the comany. Concur probably makes a lot of money off of simple transactions that can be handled without a middleman.
Old Jan 27, 17, 12:50 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Reviving this thread from a few months ago --

Did anyone notice this suddenly appearing when they visit UA.com now? Just today I saw that the "award travel" box is greyed out by default, and now there is a "corporate booking" option in the advanced search screen that has been enabled.

Is this happening due to an integration with Concur, or our company specifically?

Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 17, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I too noticed this appearing. It appears the pricing is lower. I've received no notification from my company about this.
Old Jan 27, 17, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
This just popped up on my booking page as well, but I got the email from Concur that said., "Your United account is now linked". I am curious about how it works as well, especially since I was told we are still not allowed to book our own travel... kind of odd.
Old Jan 27, 17, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
We use Concur to book company travel and this showed up one day on my UA account as well. I had received an email from Concur saying that accounts are linked. Weird thing is that it only lets me book for 1 person and does not let me search for upgrades.
Old Jan 27, 17, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Concur and several other compliance packages can now link to UA and, soon other carrier websites directly.

It leaves the same functionality as Concur permits the enterprise now, e.g., if your employer authorizes F, you can book F and so on.

All done through the UA website instead of a third-party. This can represent a savings to the employer.
Old Jan 28, 17, 2:44 am

We don't use Concur - we have GetThere (AMEX). Exit rows are not available when we book there. So, I would have to get the PNR created from the AMEX website and go to United.com to grab the exit seats. So, I can see this will help with that.

We did have a change recently where WN fares are displayed and RR# transmitted to WN.
Old Jan 30, 17, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Is there a way to remove the check that's present in the "Corporate Booking" box in profile every time I log in? It's always checked - I want it off by default.
Old Jan 30, 17, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by miasmal View Post
Is there a way to remove the check that's present in the "Corporate Booking" box in profile every time I log in? It's always checked - I want it off by default.
Old Jan 30, 17, 10:21 am

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
To be very specific, you don't need to remove your MP number from your profile. I successfully turned this off by going to my Profile - on the Left, under Other Settings, I went to Concur Connect, and revoked access to United.
Old Jan 30, 17, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Originally Posted by villox View Post
To be very specific, you don't need to remove your MP number from your profile. I successfully turned this off by going to my Profile - on the Left, under Other Settings, I went to Concur Connect, and revoked access to United.
Thanks - For my Concur - upper right, System Settings, Revoke Access to United. Applied setting effective immediately.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: