Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 763 High J (46/22/43/56) Polaris+PP

Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

For couples who want to sit together in Polaris, even-numbered L seats combined with the odd-numbered F seat one lower in number (e.g. 10L/9F) gives some ability to see/talk across aisle because the openings line up almost exactly.

Standard size rollaboards can only be accommodated in overhead compartments along the window and not in the center bins.

Overhead compartment above 1A is limited to a small bag, and the slightly larger bin is shared with 2A and 2D, which may result in someone in the area putting the bag in row 3 or 4. Often, there is flight supplies stored in the bin above 2A and 3A as well - you can ask the FA to move them.

Misaligned window in the coveted window seats at 7A/L and 17A/L.

Only one window (close to monitor) at 11A/L.

No "front" window on 15A/L, but one next to head and a second useable when reclined.

Oxygen equipment is stored above 12A, which results in unusable bin space. (Note that bin space is pretty generous given spread of seats, so not likely to be a major issue).

No window at 18A/L
related thread
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 763 / 76Q (30/24/32/117) Polaris+PP
obsolete
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 767-300 (30/46/138)- Polaris seat ("normal J", no PremPlus)
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 763 High J (46/22/43/56) Polaris+PP

Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)

I'm looking at flight options for an upcoming trip, and one of the segments shows this 767-300 layout. What version is this? Polaris through row 18, and a 2-2-2 configuration in E+ for rows 20-23? And what's up with the empty space in the middle between row 16 and row 21? Is this just because they haven't assigned an actual plane yet, so the seat configuration is subject to change?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
76L "High-J" Polaris/PE configuration. The first four rows after Polaris are 2-2-2 PE; the rest of the blue seats are normal E+. Given the seatmap, they are probably going to fly it that way, but there is only one frame (N666UA) thus configured so there is always significant risk. There is a lav in the middle row rows 17-18 on the 76L (believe the door faces aft?).
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
The first four rows after Polaris are 2-2-2 PE; the rest of the blue seats are normal E+. Given the seatmap, they are probably going to fly it that way, but there is only one frame (N666UA) thus configured so there is always significant risk.
Out of curiosity, why is there only one frame configured that way? Was it a test version for something, or used for another purpose? And, as far as PE seats are concerned, I should be able to select one of those seats as if it was a standard E+ seat, correct?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Out of curiosity, why is there only one frame configured that way? ...
So far, more to come
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 2 MM; , SPG Plat Amb/LTP, Marriott Gold, HH, Hertz Pres Circle
Isn't this the new configuration 763 that was announced a few months ago with more premium seats for the premium int'l markets? Or just the roll-out of int'l with PE?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyswim
Isn't this the new configuration 763 that was announced a few months ago with more premium seats for the premium int'l markets? ...
Yes
First of 17 -- 4 in the shop for conversion at the moment
https://sites.google.com/site/united...polaris-update

The previous 3-class 763 have been converted to Polaris - no PP yet.
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 767-300 (30/46/138)- Polaris seat
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
And, as far as PE seats are concerned, I should be able to select one of those seats as if it was a standard E+ seat, correct?
For now yes, until they get assigned to routes where P+ is sold. It will need several ships in this configuration for that to happen.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I am doing one of my 4 yearly trips back home to UK around 28th June and it seems nearly all the flights are now this config for EWR to LHR (shame because I actually do not like the new Polaris seats because the try design under the TV is WAY too low and at 6' 4 " , I cannot get my knees under (sucks)).

Anyway, I will be taking my 7 year old daughter with me, and will use GPUs (having to do that annoying 3 times a day search EVERY day to catch the PZ opening up).
I guess one thing I could do, is just book the flight knowing I can get Premium seats, then just hope the GPUs clear. Some flights have over 40 seats still open , so maybe a good chance? Is there a better chance of clearing if I fly on a Saturday, historically, does anyone know ?

I was wondering if you could help advise on what seat config to get, so that I can easily keep an eye on her/ help her with dinner etc.

For example is say 1L/F , 3L/F easy, or would the 4 A/D config be better, or even say 4A/5A ....
Also, should I ask this in the main 767-300 polaris thread as it seems the seat config is the same , just less seats, right ? thx
Old May 21, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think the even A/D combination is about as good as you can get for being able to keep an eye on another seat, but there is no particularly good setup for that. So far they are blocking all the extra Polaris seats (over the standard 763) so I would think a waitlisted upgrade has a pretty good shot. Depends on your tolerance for doing it in the 2-block of Y.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:18 am

I think the even A/D combination is about as good as you can get for being able to keep an eye on another seat, but there is no particularly good setup for that. So far they are blocking all the extra Polaris seats (over the standard 763) so I would think a waitlisted upgrade has a pretty good shot. Depends on your tolerance for doing it in the 2-block of Y.
Cool , thanks !

What do you mean by "2-block of Y"?

Also, do you know if the armrests lift up in the premium seats?

thx
Old May 21, 2019, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simonoaks
Also, do you know if the armrests lift up in the premium seats?
Having just flown LHR-EWR this past Saturday in a Premium Plus seat, I can confirm that the arm rests do NOT lift up in those seats
Old May 21, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cool , thanks !

What do you mean by "2-block of Y"?
The AB or KL pairs in standard 2-3-2 Economy on the 763. There are only 3 aircraft in the high-J config at the moment, so as long as UA is not selling PE then I would plan for a possibility of an aircraft swap to a different 763 config.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:58 am

I was wondering if you could help advise on what seat config to get, so that I can easily keep an eye on her/ help her with dinner etc.
I have been on this configuration a half dozen times already on EWR-LHR runs. I would suggest (in business) an odd numbered F seat and a sequentially one number higher even L seat (e.g. 3F and 4L). This is because the row numbers are misaligned between the center and window sections (presumably to keep the straight seats as all odd numbers) and these seats will be close together directly across the aisle.

As another note, this configuration usually flies the 6pm EWR-LHR followed by the 7:55am LHR-EWR return. They do only sell 30 business seats and I have been able to stand by without any issues onto these flights in business when originally booking flights later in the day even when these flights are sold out in business. Pretty much everyone gets upgraded and even non revs have an easy time getting business (unless the whole plane is oversold due to the drop in economy seats on the swap forcing operational upgrades) with about half the flights I have been on going out with empty seats in business.
simonoaks likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:59 am

The AB or KL pairs in standard 2-3-2 Economy on the 763. There are only 3 aircraft in the high-J config at the moment, so as long as UA is not selling PE then I would plan for a possibility of an aircraft swap to a different 763 config.
Ok, Thanks. I think I will stick with my favoured UA16 ewr to LHR 767-400er. I can sit with daughter in E+ and have the arm rest lifted for extra room.
I prefer the Y seats on the old config anyway.

thx
Old May 21, 2019, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by ewrUAguy

I have been on this configuration a half dozen times already on EWR-LHR runs. I would suggest (in business) an odd numbered F seat and a sequentially one number higher even L seat (e.g. 3F and 4L). This is because the row numbers are misaligned between the center and window sections (presumably to keep the straight seats as all odd numbers) and these seats will be close together directly across the aisle.

As another note, this configuration usually flies the 6pm EWR-LHR followed by the 7:55am LHR-EWR return. They do only sell 30 business seats and I have been able to stand by without any issues onto these flights in business when originally booking flights later in the day even when these flights are sold out in business. Pretty much everyone gets upgraded and even non revs have an easy time getting business (unless the whole plane is oversold due to the drop in economy seats on the swap forcing operational upgrades) with about half the flights I have been on going out with empty seats in business.
I guess I will have to just wait and see what PZ seats open up, right now there is a CRAZY $730 uplift on booking a wait list business class seat, over an economy one. I have never seen such a price hike. If that does not come down, I will just save my GPUs and save 1500 bucks for the two of us and just fly Premium economy. Getting pretty sick of United all round, gonna status match to Delta next year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.