Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:09 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
EWR-SFO-SIN is probably the most straight forward way to do it, albeit it'll be in coach unless you have some leftover GPU to burn.

The other way to do it is look for discounted premium cabin fares to the west coast, or down to Mexico/South America. It's more expensive than $1200, but you'll at least be more comfortable.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
You can do much better if you play with your dates a little. Thu 12/6 to Tue 12/11 EWR-SFO-SIN-SFO-EWR is $824 for 22,018 PQM or $0.0374 per mile.

AW
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have one trip left this year (SFO-IAH-POS/POS-IAH-SFO) and will end up 375 PQMs shy of 75,000. Is it safe to assume that I need to use a SDC to change my flight home (i.e. POS-IAH-LAX-SFO) in order to keep my status?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:39 pm

You can SDC on international trips?

If you have the time (and I realize it sounds like you don't) I suggest you fly SFO-LAS on a night when Vegas hotels are cheap, and fly back the next morning.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by davie355
You can SDC on international trips? ...
Yes if UA operated flights and inventory space exists.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by davie355
You can SDC on international trips?

If you have the time (and I realize it sounds like you don't) I suggest you fly SFO-LAS on a night when Vegas hotels are cheap, and fly back the next morning.
I have the time, but the problem is I live 200 miles south of SFO. The only convenient airport for me is SBP which is about 30 miles away but even SBP-LAX-SBP is a very annoying itinerary as it takes half the day and the flights are quite often delayed.

I recently flew HKG-GUM-HNL-LAX-SBP but because the LAX-SBP flight was delayed for many hours I had them cancel that segment and instead drove home. I tried to complain to United to get the 500PQMs I missed out on but they instead gave me a $250 voucher. While that's nice, it led me to fall just shy of the 75,000 PQMs I need.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by catbox9
I have one trip left this year (SFO-IAH-POS/POS-IAH-SFO) and will end up 375 PQMs shy of 75,000. Is it safe to assume that I need to use a SDC to change my flight home (i.e. POS-IAH-LAX-SFO) in order to keep my status?
You could either do an SDC to gain extra miles or buy PQMs thru award accelerator now thru check-in. You can't buy only 375, it'll be in larger chunks like 5000, 10000, or some offer specific to you. The cheapest method is obviously some sort of SDC, but the caveat is you won't know availability or flight loads until day of. That's the risk with that- you may not end up with the LAX option you reference. LAX flights might be full or the schedule change may not work like you'd hope.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: United
Hello,
I will be 23000 PDM and about $3000 short of 1k this year, after booking all holiday trips. SFO based. Is it worthwhile to do a run? Are there other options?

if I were to do a run, is there a way to search tickets with these parameters? The United site crashes on me a lot when I search flight by flight.

Thank you for suggestions.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried to complain to United to get the 500PQMs I missed out on but they instead gave me a $250 voucher. While that's nice, it led me to fall just shy of the 75,000 PQMs I need.
Did you get a refund for the LAX-SBP fare? (Not the $250 voucher -- that's a "we're sorry" customer care item).

If not, write back again and specifically request Original Routing Credit for your itinerary, stressing that it was an involuntary change (the massive delay) that caused you to terminate your travel at LAX.
drewguy likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:58 pm

Need advise on making PQM

PQD requirement waived based on my United Credit Card spend.
I have 2 future trips -
1st trip is on United EWR-BOM-EWR will get me to Silver (see image)
2nd trip is on Turkish JFK-IST-JED-IST ... checked with Airline it's booked under T fare class (not sure how many PQM I will be eligible for) IST-JFK is booked for next year.
Could you recommend any strategies so I can be Gold or Plat for 2019? Thanks in advance

Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MattShaikh
2nd trip is on Turkish JFK-IST-JED-IST ... checked with Airline it's booked under T fare class (not sure how many PQM I will be eligible for) IST-JFK is booked for next year.
T fares on Turkish earn 50% of the mileage flown for Premier qualification (you want the table at the bottom called "MileagePlus Premier qualification." JFK-IST-JED will earn about 3,238 PQM. (The miles for IST-JFK will count toward next year's qualification since they're after the new year). So, you're a little over 12,500 PQM short.
MattShaikh likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4
You could either do an SDC to gain extra miles or buy PQMs thru award accelerator now thru check-in. You can't buy only 375, it'll be in larger chunks like 5000, 10000, or some offer specific to you. The cheapest method is obviously some sort of SDC, but the caveat is you won't know availability or flight loads until day of. That's the risk with that- you may not end up with the LAX option you reference. LAX flights might be full or the schedule change may not work like you'd hope.
Return is on a Sunday so hopefully that enhances availability.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Did you get a refund for the LAX-SBP fare? (Not the $250 voucher -- that's a "we're sorry" customer care item).

If not, write back again and specifically request Original Routing Credit for your itinerary, stressing that it was an involuntary change (the massive delay) that caused you to terminate your travel at LAX.
No, it was just the "we're sorry" thing. I suppose I could write back. Normally I'd say 500PQM and probably like 100RDM seems petty, but it really could be the difference between gold and platinum.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:36 pm

Return is on a Sunday so hopefully that enhances availability.
No, it was just the "we're sorry" thing. I suppose I could write back. Normally I'd say 500PQM and probably like 100RDM seems petty, but it really could be the difference between gold and platinum.
Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Seems worth a try. Maybe try writing the MPSC instead of normal customer care? https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...countInfo.aspx or call 1-800-421-4655

Last edited by threeoh; Nov 9, 2018 at 1:41 pm Reason: added MPSC contact info
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
T fares on Turkish earn 50% of the mileage flown for Premier qualification (you want the table at the bottom called "MileagePlus Premier qualification." JFK-IST-JED will earn about 3,238 PQM. (The miles for IST-JFK will count toward next year's qualification since they're after the new year). So, you're a little over 12,500 PQM short.
Any suggestions on how to get those 12,500 PQM.

I forgot to mention on the first trip from EWR-BOM-EWR I am waitlisted for upgrade to Polaris Business with $600 + 25000 miles each way. Does this change the dynamics if I get upgraded?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Seems worth a try. Maybe try writing the MPSC instead of normal customer care? https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...countInfo.aspx or call 1-800-421-4655
My trip to POS is next week so I'll see if I can SDC before trying. Only concern is the cancelled segment was my choice and I had an agent do it for me to make sure they didn't get mad at me for skipping a segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.