Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Can you use the GPUs for leisure travel?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
No planned travel for the remainder of the year, and need about 8200 PQM to hit 1K.

Options seem to be travel for around $1200-$1500. Can travel from 12/16 afterwards if anyone has suggestions.

Alternatively can do award accelerator for probably less (atleast it was less than the above pricing on my last flight). What's the drop dead last date before I get absolutely gouged on these prices?

Based out of WAS/DCA/IAD.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: United
Cool Best way to get a few PQM for Gold in 2018...

I have 47k PQM, and one last flight BWI-MKE that will add 2.3k, leaving me 576 mile short of the 50k required. The accelerator bump was $600, no thank you. Should I rebook the ORD-BWI leg as first class?
Any suggestions?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT, Mike211

Originally Posted by Mike211
I have 47k PQM, and one last flight BWI-MKE that will add 2.3k, leaving me 576 mile short of the 50k required. The accelerator bump was $600, no thank you. Should I rebook the ORD-BWI leg as first class? ...
Depending on the fare difference, you would at least you would get some additional value for the extra dollars. And you meet or have the waiver for the $6K Gold PQD requirement.

Another approach would be a more circuitous routing -- either booked or found using SDC.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Mike211
I have 47k PQM, and one last flight BWI-MKE that will add 2.3k, leaving me 576 mile short of the 50k required. The accelerator bump was $600, no thank you. Should I rebook the ORD-BWI leg as first class?
Any suggestions?
Assuming the fare difference is reasonable, I usually find this to be the best approach unless you have a day trip you have been considering for other reasons. Note that you would change the entire ticket BWI-MKE to First, although single-cabin aircraft would of course stay in Y. The online buyup might not earn additional PQM.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:16 pm

Question UA need 8500 PQM's!!!

Hello, I goofed this year, total brain-fart and need to make up 8552 United PQM's.
I have 2 flights coming up for work, the 8552 will be the balance after these two flights.

Will upgrading either of these flights help my cause?

Does anyone know of a high-PQM flight out of IAD, DCA or BWI that I can burn a day on racking up some PQM's?

Also, today is my first day on the forum...be gentle with me

Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TontoKowalski
Will upgrading either of these flights help my cause?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You will earn additional PQMs for up-faring the flights -- 200% in most cases, or 300% for the most expensive fare available. However, to guarantee that you get the PQM, you need to call UA and ask them specifically to up-fare (not upgrade). The price should be the difference between the current first / business class fare for that route and what you paid originally. If you get some other price, thank them politely, hang up, and try again, as you may not get the bonus PQM in that case.

What status are you hoping to attain?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You will earn additional PQMs for up-faring the flights -- 200% in most cases, or 300% for the most expensive fare available. However, to guarantee that you get the PQM, you need to call UA and ask them specifically to up-fare (not upgrade). The price should be the difference between the current first / business class fare for that route and what you paid originally. If you get some other price, thank them politely, hang up, and try again, as you may not get the bonus PQM in that case.

What status are you hoping to attain?
Thanks for the fast reply...I'm hoping to maintain my Gold status.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the fast reply...I'm hoping to maintain my Gold status.
No problem. There's a board thread on whether or not Gold is worth it, but, IMO, it's one of the sweet spots in the UA program; if you're able to find decent pricing on the PQMs, and intend to travel about the same amount next year, it may well be worth the investment.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
No problem. There's a board thread on whether or not Gold is worth it, ...
There are links in this thread's wiki to all the "Is it worth it to stretch for xxxx (over zzzz)?" threads and links to the *A MR threads plus purchasing PQMs threads. And other misc resources,
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Does anyone know of a high-PQM flight out of IAD, DCA or BWI that I can burn a day on racking up some PQM's?
Depending on how many you ultimately need, the obvious places to look would be to head west from IAD. LAX is 2288 miles and SFO 2419. If you can make a weekend of it you could add a connection to SEA for an additional 954 (ex-LAX) and 654 (ex-SFO). IAD-LAX-SEA, return SEA-SFO-IAD would get you 6339. There’s availability next weekend for $678 that’ll get you back to IAD before 9pm.

(All mileage calculated by Great Circle, so actual PQM could vary slightly, down or up).
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:49 am

trynna make 25k

Total newb here, sorry if this is the wrong forum/thread. I thought I'd make my 25K with United this year but they just told me that a work trip on AirLingus actually earned me ZERO miles because yadda yadda (economy fare, whatever).

So, I need 9,400 PQMs. Flying out of ORD. 12/26-12/30 timeframe. Willing to spend up to $700. Is this delusional? LOL Thanks for any help!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
An E+ subscription and Chase Explorer card will get you the bulk of Silver benefits out of ORD for far less than $700.

As for Air Lingus, it is not a Star Alliance partner, that is why you did not get any premier qualifying credits.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:09 pm

Welcome to FT!, mamiford
Originally Posted by mamiford
.... I need 9,400 PQMs. Flying out of ORD. 12/26-12/30 timeframe. Willing to spend up to $700. Is this delusional? LOL Thanks for any help!
9,400 PQMs for $700 is feasible --- see UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
but will take at least 2 days, so this is an alternative worth looking into
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
An E+ subscription and Chase Explorer card will get you the bulk of Silver benefits out of ORD for far less than $700.
for more see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...solidated.html
mamiford likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The cheapest E+ subscription is $499 and the Chase card is $95, so $594. Not that much less than $700.

If you want an int'l E+ subscription (and sounds like OP does fly int'l) for pax plus companion it's $899, plus the explorer card.

But OP, you should consider getting the card for $95 (BG2, free checked bag, expanded award space) and just buying E+ outright on flights where it matters to you. That could be cheaper than $700.

I do see $930 ORD-FRA r/t on SAS 12/27 - 12/29, that should be enough.
mamiford likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.