Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: United-1k, Marriott-Lifetime Plat
I need some advice.

I have 146K miles. If I hit 150K I get another 2 RPU (Don't care about) and 2 more GPU. I fly internationally quite frequently.

Being that I am 4000 miles short I am trying to find a way to hit it from Denver. Any tips?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Marriott/SPG Platinum
$159 short of $12k for 1k status. IAD based. Help?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by RegularGuy22
(1) Fly r/t to NYC
(2) Buy economy plus on any upcoming flights
(3) Buy $499 economy plus subscription
(4) Upfare any upcoming flights
(5) Spend $25k on your co-branded CC
(6) Move overseas
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by threeoh
(1) Fly r/t to NYC
(2) Buy economy plus on any upcoming flights
(3) Buy $499 economy plus subscription
(4) Upfare any upcoming flights
(5) Spend $25k on your co-branded CC
(6) Move overseas
OP wants to get to 1K. Number 5 won’t help. Sounds like they’re already at plat, so number 2 and 3 may not even be possible (never mind that it’s kind of a waste of $ if they could) - at least # 4 your getting something for the spend.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
OP wants to get to 1K. Number 5 won’t help.

Whoops! Thanks for the correction.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Marriott/SPG Platinum
No flights planned for the rest of the year. I guess NY is probably the cheapest way. $330 gets me to the $160 range PQD
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:50 pm

No flights planned for the rest of the year. I guess NY is probably the cheapest way. $330 gets me to the $160 range PQD
You have to weigh $330 plus costs to/from airport plus opportunity cost of eating up a whole afternoon (but with a potential trip to New York, if you're looking for that) vs. $499 without leaving your armchair.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
I don't have status right now, but I'm over 25K PQM and I'm $51 short of meeting the PQD level for silver (counting my two upcoming flights). Everywhere I looked on the united website said that you can only achieve PQD through paying for flights or paying for economy plus. So I logged into united.com, went to "my trips" and for a flight next week, I upgraded my seat to an economy plus seat for $54. However, when I refresh my premier activity it did not add to my PQD. I noticed when I had previously purchased a flight, the premier activity updated fairly instantaneously. I did to back into my receipt for that flight on united.com and it still has the old seat number. I should expect the receipt to be updated and hopefully the ticket class to be changed, correct? Do I just need to be patient or did I just flush $54 down the toilet?

Last edited by ozzzie19; Nov 27, 2018 at 3:01 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Pick somewhere that you want to go that's doable as a same day turn and meet a friend for lunch or see an interesting sight. Get some value out of your day
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozzzie19
I should expect the receipt to be updated and hopefully the ticket class to be changed, correct? Do I just need to be patient or did I just flush $54 down the toilet?
The ticket class won't change, and the receipt probably won't change either. However, you should get the 54 additional PQD once you actually fly.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The receipt should update if you "add e-mail and send receipt" but even if it doesn't I wouldn't worry. You have to fly the segment to get the PQD and stale receipts are more likely than any other bug.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I'm looking for a mere $33 myself, same situation.

Norfolk, Raleigh-Durham, and Newark all have round trips later in December pricing about $231 (lower for basic economy, which doesn't help).
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy Amb
Hi all, I need 10 segments by the end of the year to make Gold. Have easily surpassed PQDs and nowhere close when it comes to PQMs. Can start my travel from ORD or OKC. Any ideas? Would be grateful for your help. Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by bwg03
I need some advice.

I have 146K miles. If I hit 150K I get another 2 RPU (Don't care about) and 2 more GPU. I fly internationally quite frequently.

Being that I am 4000 miles short I am trying to find a way to hit it from Denver. Any tips?
DEN -NYC-SFO or SEA or LAX and back to DEN should do it?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by threeoh
I think it depends on your PQD, no? If you have enough PQD for 1K seems worth it to find 100 PQM somewhere. If your PQD is at $9,000 then that's a different story.
I'm going to be about $2k short of the PQD and just barely over 100K in miles, so with the new $12k PQD, I won't make 1K (this is the closest I've ever been). I get the value of the GPUs as the big step from Plat to 1K, but my new company pays for business class on flights over 9 hours (which is basically anything out of DEN -- I go to Asia mainly, but LHR and FRA are both over 9 hours). Contemplating spending the $2k to get there, but struggling to see if it's truly worth it. Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.