Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:35 pm

You're right, but it does let you earn regular miles in certain fare classes, hence my confusion.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:52 pm

OMG I am SO GLAD I found this place. Y'all are total flight nerds. You are MY PEOPLE LOL the struggle is real and no one else understands me.

Anyway I should have mentioned I already have the credit card (priority boarding, lounge access, bag allowance). What I want is free E+ within 24 hours of departure. But maybe "threeoh" is right that buying E+ subscription (or outright on certain flights) makes more sense.

However, I have a friend in FRA so maybe I'll do that. Good to have options.

Thanks again everyone.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
As for Air Lingus, it is not a Star Alliance partner, that is why you did not get any premier qualifying credits.
Not being Star Alliance doesn't necessarily mean no PQM. eg, flights on Air Dolomiti do earn PQM despite them not being *A.
​​​​​
Originally Posted by threeoh
The cheapest E+ subscription is $499 and the Chase card is $95, so $594. Not that much less than $700.
But with the benefit of being able to select E+ at time of booking, not just 24 hours before as with Silver status. As you've said, things like domestic/international mix could change what makes the most sense.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:27 pm

How can I milk an additional 2K miles out of an itinerary PLANNED (not booked) for 6K?

Planning travel to Aspen or the vicinity around Christmas time from Washington, DC. If I route through LAX or SFO it puts me at about 6K, and I need an additional 2K for 1K.

I'm willing to spend a little extra cash to upfare my planned economy fare to a higher fare one way, but would like to understand the best dates to do this on.

I'm slightly flexible on the return and currently looking at 12/19/-/12/26 give or take a day or three at the end of the trip...
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Buy up to F on a segment or two.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Buy up to F on a segment or two.
Thanks Yes, good idea what I want to do, but i'm not sure how I can evaluate which to upfare and how to see which days/routes will be the best value for miles.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I'd fly through IAH outbound (and IAH or LAX return) and put the whole thing in F. That gets you at least 8000 miles for $1100, vs. about $700-800 in coach.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Need 212 PQM's - have old (better) MP Visa - ideas?

I am 212 PQM's short of platinum status on United. I either want to take the shortest, least expensive RT flight from DEN (sorry to sound like a novice - but is there a way to search for that versus randomly trying other cities to see what's best?) or, better yet, use my MP Visa card to eke out those last few miles. I earn PQM's for purchases on United.com, but I don't know if there is a limit to how many I can earn annually, and I can't find anyone at Chase Visa OR at Mileage Plus that understand or can share my cardmember agreement. It's pretty risky business to buy a ticket and hope for the best. I'd love any expertise or ideas that people could share.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Easiest may be to find an award accelerator purchase that may cost a bit more than a flight but save you the time.

If you want to look at flights, look on Google Flights for quick turns at low expense from Denver. Easiest are the small airports because you basically get back on the same plane. Select non-stop, star alliance, and choose dates (midweek likely best). the dots will show prices to cities and then you can drill down.

For example, I see a flight on 12/19 to Pueblo for $151 or Vernal (UT) for $117 or Moab (UT) for $142. Just make sure you don't get Basic Economy. Also, you'll get minimum 500 PQM for each segment because you're elite already (gold).
gmbeid likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:37 am

Thanks for the response! I'm not sure I understand your award accelerator comment - I thought I would have to buy a ticket to have the chance for an accelerator purchase? Or is it that I could buy the ticket (for non-2018 travel??) then buy the award accelerator miles and have them apply right then? I have never purchased miles of any sort.

Regarding the smaller airports - great suggestion. Thank you. I've been using Google Flights to search, but I hadn't thought to look at smaller airports. Those are great fares and would an easy day of travel, though frankly, I'd rather just buy the miles. Still hoping someone knows more about my Visa card than I do and that I'll have a magic answer there!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: UA GS
I have the legacy Platinum Class MP Visa, which comes with an annual max 10K PQM (1 PQM per $1 of ual.com spend up to $5,000 and another 5K PQM at $35K cc spend). I don’t know what the terms of the legacy MP Select card are.

At this point in the year I would be concerned about the schedule by which the Chase PQM post to MP. I don’t know that 2018 purchases count for 2018 PQM if the statement date is January 2019, for instance.

I would just fly, and there are plenty of UAX destinations from DEN that would require a quick half day round trip. Keep in mind that at some stations you exit the arriving flight directly into the terminal, not into the sterile gate area—making tight connections tighter.
gmbeid likes this.

Last edited by jsl42; Dec 3, 2018 at 11:21 am
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by gmbeid
Thanks for the response! I'm not sure I understand your award accelerator comment - I thought I would have to buy a ticket to have the chance for an accelerator purchase? Or is it that I could buy the ticket (for non-2018 travel??) then buy the award accelerator miles and have them apply right then? I have never purchased miles of any sort.

Regarding the smaller airports - great suggestion. Thank you. I've been using Google Flights to search, but I hadn't thought to look at smaller airports. Those are great fares and would an easy day of travel, though frankly, I'd rather just buy the miles. Still hoping someone knows more about my Visa card than I do and that I'll have a magic answer there!
For award accelerator, as soon as you purchase a ticket you have the option to purchase accelerator miles. When you make the purchase, the miles credit immediately. You can then cancel the ticket within the 24 hour window (just book a ticket far out).
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt

Book the trip. Buy the RDMs and then be offered PQM accelerator which you purchase. Then cancel the ticket within 24 hours.

The miles are added to your RDM and PQM totals more or less instantly and are not refunded even if you cancel or fly next year.

The problem is you may be spending more than a RT to SFO in First for a day trip for lunch. Much more than such a trip in Couch.
gmbeid likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....Still hoping someone knows more about my Visa card than I do and that I'll have a magic answer there!
There were more than 1 legacy UA MP Visa cards and they had different benefits. You will need to have what was originally called MP Platinum Visa

Look online at your Chase card account and look under Rewards Detail and then View Reward Program Rules and Regulations (PDF)
and see if there is any mention of PQM earning for united.com purchases.

Note there is a 5,000 PQM annual max for this benefit and if you have used the card before on United.com, you may have exhausted the benefit. You have to look at your United MP account an add up prior purchase PQMs. Any purchases made in the calendar year count regardless of when the trip is taken.
gmbeid likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 3, 2018 at 11:34 am Reason: calendar year
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:57 pm

Thanks for that. Seems I've gotten my 10k united.com/card spend miles. I've booked the shortest, cheapest itin I can find to hit Platinum. Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.