Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: UA
UA Platinum Premier

I am currently UA Gold. I have one trip left in the year, and I did the math and it will get me to 74,336 PQM. For reference, I have already hit 13k PQD and the credit card 25k waiver.

Given I'm so close to hitting platinum, I'm trying to figure out the best way to cross the 75k PQM barrier. I know I could do a mileage run, but wondering if the following could work. Within 24 hours of a flight, there is no change fee. Can I rebook to a flight with a connection, and if so would I get the PQM of the new route? My last flight of the year is ORD-SFO round trip. ORD -> SFO is in "C" and SFO -> ORD is in "Z". For example, connecting through seattle gives an extra ~1000 PQM and would push me over, at least I think. Of course, if I change to the new flights now I would be hit with change fees, etc. But within 24 hours I've noticed rebooking is free.

Does this seem like it would work?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes. Adding a segment via Same Day Change is a classic strategy for accruing additional PQM.
rob22 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: UA GS
I should know the answer to this question but don't. Will the SDC be in the original fare class if C/Z is not available?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
See if you have an offer to buy a small amount of PQM (Accelerator) in your itinerary. You would get some RDMs too.

If I had $13kPQD banked I would actually do a cheap SIN mileage run and chase 1K...same price as the accelerator perhaps.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Unhappy Short PQM

Somehow I will end up being short a mere 83 PQM from requalifying for Gold. I have one more trip planned this year, so here's hoping I can SDC and add another hop!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I should know the answer to this question but don't. Will the SDC be in the original fare class if C/Z is not available?
If C/Z were not available, the app wouldn't provide SDC options. You'd be able to SDC by calling an agent, but a fare difference would apply.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
@rob22 - this is a great point, but might be tough to find a decent fare at this point.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
If I had $13kPQD banked I would actually do a cheap SIN mileage run and chase 1K...same price as the accelerator perhaps.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
If C/Z were not available, the app wouldn't provide SDC options. You'd be able to SDC by calling an agent, but a fare difference would apply.
Note that sometimes the availability of fares will change on a minute by minute basis when you get close to departure. It’s worth obsessively checking.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
See if you have an offer to buy a small amount of PQM (Accelerator) in your itinerary. You would get some RDMs too.

The only accelerator options I've seen on my trips lately are for larger amounts - last time it was 9,000 PQM for $1,150.

I think I'll go with SDC on my return SFO to ORD flight, get that extra PQM and be happy with platinum I've thought about mileage runs/chasing 1k, but I'm not sure how easy it would be. I think it might not be worth it, since I'd need another 25k PQM and I think that would be a lot to cram in these last few weeks of December. I started a post in the mileage run thread and nobody has posted anything that seems reasonable to me. I think spending three days on a plane and $1,000+ just isn't worth it for plat to 1k, but let me know if anyone disagrees or has ideas to get 1k easily
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Do you want to do these two trips?

Originally Posted by rob22
The only accelerator options I've seen on my trips lately are for larger amounts - last time it was 9,000 PQM for $1,150.

I think I'll go with SDC on my return SFO to ORD flight, get that extra PQM and be happy with platinum I've thought about mileage runs/chasing 1k, but I'm not sure how easy it would be. I think it might not be worth it, since I'd need another 25k PQM and I think that would be a lot to cram in these last few weeks of December. I started a post in the mileage run thread and nobody has posted anything that seems reasonable to me. I think spending three days on a plane and $1,000+ just isn't worth it for plat to 1k, but let me know if anyone disagrees or has ideas to get 1k easily
Trip 1: Dec. 6-8, ORD-SFO-HKG-SFO-ORD, for $752, 17,520 PQM
https://www.google.ca/flights#flt=OR...;sp:.USD.74133
Trip 2: Dec. 10, ORD-HNL-LIH-DEN-ORD, $808, 8546 PQM
Trips 1+2: 17,520 + 8546 > 26K PQM and the total is $1560 from your pocket. By the way, you will get a break on December 9.
https://www.google.ca/flights#flt=OR...771*.USD.80771
Cheers!
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K

You can book a shorter trip, purchase the accelerator, and then cancel the trip. For instance, I have a mileage ticket IAH-CRP and it is offering me 2000 PQMs for $250 ($50 + $200). Not a "good deal" - but an option if you can't SDC and value your time more than the difference between $250 and a mileage run cost. The miles stick even if the underlying trip is later cancelled (like in the 24hr period or a mileage ticket with fee-waved redeposit).
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
SDC options may be limited

For example, connecting through seattle gives an extra ~1000 PQM and would push me over, at least I think.
Personally, I've never been given the option of routing thru an outstation. Always nonstop, or thru a hub. (Exception: IRROPS, where anything goes.)

SFO-ORD -> SFO-IAH-ORD would work, if offered. As others state, if there are no seats in F, you won't be offered the flight. So somewhat more restrictive than Y.

You could just do a MR to anywhere, which would be 1000PQM roundtrip w/ 500mi min.(i.e. $191 ORD-CVG or $192 ORD-MKG)

Another option:
UA:$237 ORD-MKE one-way in Business 750PQM (w/ 500mi min)
Wed 26 Dec
UA5870 ORD-MKE 1550-1638 E175
(take Hiawatha train or Airport Express bus home)
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:38 am

Novice here, so I apologize ... but just want to confirm that if I book a flight thru travel agent on Singapore Airlines - business class, fare U, hkg-sin-adl that I will earn PQM.
I am approx 3500 PQM from 1K- dont need to worry about PQD as I live outside USA- and would like to earn 1k status. Thanks
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: UA Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by mrmoo
Somehow I will end up being short a mere 83 PQM from requalifying for Gold. I have one more trip planned this year, so here's hoping I can SDC and add another hop!
that's what i did too. one of my trips got canceled in sept so i would've been a few hundred miles short but i SDC'ed and added a stop so now i'll be 200 miles over 50k PQD
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
According to the MileagePlus chart, you should receive 100% PQM on a SQ U fare: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-airlines.html

Originally Posted by bobosing
Novice here, so I apologize ... but just want to confirm that if I book a flight thru travel agent on Singapore Airlines - business class, fare U, hkg-sin-adl that I will earn PQM.
I am approx 3500 PQM from 1K- dont need to worry about PQD as I live outside USA- and would like to earn 1k status. Thanks
bobosing likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.