Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bigwings8
Major differences between 1K and Plat (as of 12/01/2017)
1Ks
  • Earning initially 2 additional RPUs and 6 GPUs (can earn more)
  • Priority for premium cabin meal choices
  • Free drink and food item if in economy on North American flights
  • Higher waitlist priority for upgrades,
  • Waitlisting for Instant Upgrades if on Y/B/M fares (for CPU eligible flights) and clears into PN
  • No close in 60 day change fees for awards
  • Higher earning rate for RDMs (11 vs 9)
  • While part of BG1, 1Ks can pre-board after GSs and families with a child 2 or younger [[i]note: Starting Sept 18, 2018, 1Ks are in a "preboarding" group after GS and other special needs pax instead of BG1; Plat remains in BG1, which also includes Gold and First/Biz pax without status to preboard]
  • 1K 1-call and 1Kvoice email address customer service
One consideration and "advantage" of Plat is it is the highest level that qualifies for PQD credit card waiver

A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2017 Consolidated]
[Consolidated"I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2016 Consolidated]
is 1k-status really worth all that more than platinum?
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

I'm definitely debating on whether it's worth it to chase 1k for next year. I'm going to end up ~10k PQM short. I found an overnight in Seattle (in F) that'll get me there for ~1100, including the hotel, but not sure it's worth it. (I guess i could also have a 50+ hour round trip to Asia in economy for a bit less, but...)

I've actually used most of my GPUs this year, (depending on if my last couple clear) - my international travel is generally TATL flights - on 777s, which are both worth the upgrades (and will likely be among the last to get Polaris updates) - I've had fairly good luck with my flights clearing. I haven't been able to use any of my RPUs - most of my domestic travel isn't even that long, but I'm still #4 on the list of people who aren't getting upgraded
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Ophelia
I'm definitely debating on whether it's worth it to chase 1k for next year. I'm going to end up ~10k PQM short. I found an overnight in Seattle (in F) that'll get me there for ~1100, including the hotel, but not sure it's worth it. (I guess i could also have a 50+ hour round trip to Asia in economy for a bit less, but...)

I've actually used most of my GPUs this year, (depending on if my last couple clear) - my international travel is generally TATL flights - on 777s, which are both worth the upgrades (and will likely be among the last to get Polaris updates) - I've had fairly good luck with my flights clearing. I haven't been able to use any of my RPUs - most of my domestic travel isn't even that long, but I'm still #4 on the list of people who aren't getting upgraded
IMO - yes it is worth it. I was going to be at $12,400 with 140,000 miles by the end of the year (using my trusty spreadsheet to calculate the PQMs and PQDs) and decided to splurge another $1,000 (on a trip to LIR) for the extra 10,000 miles to get to 150,000 miles as I was able to use 7 out of 8 GPUs this year. I do not really consider the RPUs - I use them but I am just as likely to give my seat to a young kid in uniform on domestic legs. So Platinum is of little interest to me, I value the GPUs but I also fly internationally enough each year to be able to use them. I have learned to use the system through reading things on Flyer Talk and also apparently not living in a hub has some advantages for upgrades. At times I buy "K" fares and use miles + co-pay when the price is less than the "W" fare using the GPU. YMMV
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:16 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

A year or two after I hit 2 million miles and became plat for life, I gave up on giving United priority and haven't looked back since. The two regional upgrades are a joke since UA rarely, if ever, releases confirmable upgrade space on the only flights (Polaris domestic between SFO/LAX and EWR/BOS) where it is worthwhile to upgrade.

It is such a relief not to feel tied to United. This coincided with me switching to do business class on TATL and TPAC, and virtually all of that business, mostly for cash, has gone to one of ANA, BA, or Virgin.
nikbruno likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
A year or two after I hit 2 million miles and became plat for life, I gave up on giving United priority and haven't looked back since. The two regional upgrades are a joke since UA rarely, if ever, releases confirmable upgrade space on the only flights (Polaris domestic between SFO/LAX and EWR/BOS) where it is worthwhile to upgrade.

It is such a relief not to feel tied to United. This coincided with me switching to do business class on TATL and TPAC, and virtually all of that business, mostly for cash, has gone to one of ANA, BA, or Virgin.
[Deleted by moderator]

Anyway OP, if you're that close to making 1k, I'd shoot for it. I'm batting .500 on GPUs clearing this year, and for me those alone are worth it. Maybe its just the irrational side of me but as long as I'm actively flying (not retired and don't need the little perks) I'd do an MR just to keep the 1k train rolling if need be.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Last edited by l etoile; Sep 3, 2018 at 5:44 am Reason: consolodated thread - ot comment removed
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ophelia
I'm definitely debating on whether it's worth it to chase 1k for next year. I'm going to end up ~10k PQM short. I found an overnight in Seattle (in F) that'll get me there for ~1100, including the hotel, but not sure it's worth it.
If you'll use six GPUs next year, that's less than $200 each; a no-brainer in my book.

But I wouldn't rush into it, either. You never know when an extra, unplanned trip will come up, or if you'll be able to use SDC to route for a few extra PQMs and reduce your deficit.
Kannai likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you'll use six GPUs next year, that's less than $200 each; a no-brainer in my book.
Definitely would in my case. Question is which routes next summer would they be more likely to clear? Especially if traveling as a party of 2 or 3?

I would want the “gamble” of ante up to 1K to be as low as possible in case I end up having to flush GPUs on Hawaii or transcon.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: *
If you plan to travel a lot on UA next year 1K is definitely a better place to be than 1K, even if all your 6 GPUs don't clear. I would definitely go for it.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold

[Removed by moderator{

As a soon-to-be-2MM flyer, I feel the value proposition is different. 0-99,999 miles is all the same, as is $0-$11999.
RichardInSF likes this.

Last edited by l etoile; Sep 3, 2018 at 5:47 am Reason: General thread
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I feel there's enough of a marked difference in treatment (especially during irops or wobbler situations [i.e. where agent discretion could go either way, or perhaps even should go the "wrong" way]) that I'd personally stretch to make 1K -- in fact, I structure early in the year flying [e.g. taking more paid but cheap leisure trips, considering a longer connecting itinerary over a nonstop, etc.) to try to prevent having to make a last-minute sprint -- though $1k on a trip just for status is probably the upper bounds on my personal tolerance -- spread that over a couple trips or throw in a destination like somewhere where I can pick up an In-N-Out Burger changes the trajectory of the equation for me.

That said, I've reaped well over $1k in (perceived) benefits at 1K -- from the free snackboxes/meal/drink in Economy [which may nearly cover that delta anyway ] to the GPU/RPUs that have cleared...
DELee and Kannai like this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I agree it’s worth it. My girlfriend and I just boarded our final flight on a MR to get her to 1K. I’m batting about 0.900 on GPUs in the last 3 years since I first became a 1K. A bit of flexibility and a lot of pre-booking research helps.

Although the biggest determinant will will be your travel patterns and planned trips for the next year.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
I definitely think it's worth it if you're close. I've been a 1K for a few years and do feel a real difference over platinum and gold. Good planning has meant some of my transpacs are in Polaris and lots of my domestic US flights are upgraded, plus never waiting more than a minute to talk to someone, and still being able to book and cancel mileage tix repeatedly.... If you're able to do those kinds of things and enjoy those benefits, why not push through at get them?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I would 100% go for it.

I was 1K for many years until about two years ago when the spend requirement got too high (I fly on my own dime). I'm now Platinum with my 2MM status. I miss 1K so much, for four reasons: 1) GPUs, 2) domestic upgrades, 3) IRROPs treatment, and 4) the ability to change award travel for free. For me at least, the last one has been really inconvenient and it would be so nice to have 1K status again.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k, HH Diamond
I'm hit my spend for the year (over $12,000) but looks like I'll be about 20 segments short of the 1K requirement. I'm not even to gold in miles FWIW.

I'd like to stay 1K for next year and then most likely drop down to plat for 2020 as I don't usually go over $15K in spend.

Do you think I would be better off to do a segment run or just purchase segments (if) they have an offer come up before end of year?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sosptuba
Do you think I would be better off to do a segment run or just purchase segments (if) they have an offer come up before end of year?
A segment run will almost certainly be cheaper. Buying PQSes -- if offered -- relieves you of the need to fly 20 segments. Making a selection basically means deciding whether you value your money or your time more highly.

Note that SDC is often a good way to add extra segment(s) at little / no cost.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sosptuba
Originally Posted by jsloan
Note that SDC is often a good way to add extra segment(s) at little / no cost.
I wonder if it would be possible to do 20 segments on a single RT itinerary using SDC? I think OP should give it a try
ContinentalFan and findark like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.