Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by sb3
It looks like you can get a flight to ORD from PHL with a same day return on any of the first 3 Saturdays in December for about $320. DEN and IAH look to be under $300.
Yes but two things.
1. My work trip is scheduled for Dec 3rd and I probably won't find out if it is cancelled or not til 11/26 at the earliest, more likely later in the week. By that time, the price will probably be higher. (Dec 3rd weekend would prob be my only free one this year)
2. Yes I did look at prices and I think I even found a $270 ticket. But when you add parking, gas, etc it is still more than buying PQM (unless that prices goes up too)

Aside from that work trip, I actually have three other scheduled trips to ORD, LAS, and SEA. I was thinking the absolute cheapest option would be a SDC. However, with ORD, it usually doesn't offer a stop option when I try. My routing to LAS and SEA are already pretty long unless I go 2 stop

I guess this is one of those years where all my travel got pushed towards the end of the year. Plus usually I am fine with PQM and under on PQD. This is one of the first times, I was way over on PQD but short on PQM. I guess it's good for next year

Last edited by eng3; Nov 17, 2018 at 9:28 am
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by eng3
Aside from that work trip, I actually have three other scheduled trips to ORD, LAS, and SEA. I was thinking the absolute cheapest option would be a SDC. However, with ORD, it usually doesn't offer a stop option when I try. My routing to LAS and SEA are already pretty long unless I go 2 stop
If you are in Y, can you upfare?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:35 am
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by threeoh
If you are in Y, can you upfare?
They can, but they need miles not $.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by sb3
They can, but they need miles not $.
Upfaring to P or J doesn't increase PQMs earned? Maybe I meant "buyup"?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by threeoh
Upfaring to P or J doesn't increase PQMs earned? Maybe I meant "buyup"?
I can look at that to see if it will cost less than $270. Hopefully they don't charge me a change fee.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by eng3
I can look at that to see if it will cost less than $270. Hopefully they don't charge me a change fee.
If you call UA and ask for a BUYUP to a P or J fare, they do not charge you the change fee. Just call and ask the price. If it's a good price, take it. If it's not a good price, say thank you very much but you will not take it.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
~3,000 PQM short of platinum.
I have one flight left (after which I will be said 3K short)
6K extra miles is $750 (150 + 600 for the PQM add on)

A bit more that I was hoping to pay. I guess it is a milage run. Unless there are other ideas our there.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis

A bit more that I was hoping to pay. I guess it is a milage run. Unless there are other ideas our there.
GGBUYUP?

David
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

I would stay as Gold unless perceived and incremental benefits would outweigh additional costs. That is what I am going to do for this year, especially considering my home airport is a hub of UA.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by DELee
GGBUYUP?

David
Already done. Last flights for the year are TODs Buyups giving me the extra

And DELee The main + for me is 2 extra e+
When I redeem I take the fam. and this year I had to pay for an extra e+ seat on ORD-SEA-ORD

I am looking at a ORD-LAX-ORD MR in Y at $440
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Already done. Last flights for the year are TODs Buyups giving me the extra

And DELee The main + for me is 2 extra e+
When I redeem I take the fam. and this year I had to pay for an extra e+ seat on ORD-SEA-ORD

I am looking at a ORD-LAX-ORD MR in Y at $440
Well, another earning option is to purchase E+ subscriptions if they travel without you on an UA Chase credit card that will net you at least a few more PQMs. Won't cover ~3,000 PQMs (unless you're buying 6 subscriptions) - the ORD-LAX RT is a better investment.

David
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
Currently 1K, sitting at 70k PQM, 8500 PQD. I will reach platinum by end of the year (have Chase waiver) but really contemplating a mileage run to try and get to 1K. Decisions decisions!

​​​​​
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I just got burned from United again. Showing no PQD earning on a flight ticket (not basic economy) booked by a cruise. It's a $700 ticket, and some PQD should be earned. As if customers know if it is a bulk fare or not. I am $18 short of Gold and will be furious if nothing is awarded. Does anyone know how PQDs are awarded on those types of tickets or what happens if I buy Y+ or an F upgrade for the PQD?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I just got burned from United again. Showing no PQD earning on a flight ticket (not basic economy) booked by a cruise. It's a $700 ticket, and some PQD should be earned. As if customers know if it is a bulk fare or not. I am $18 short of Gold and will be furious if nothing is awarded. Does anyone know how PQDs are awarded on those types of tickets or what happens if I buy Y+ or an F upgrade for the PQD?
purchasing an E+ seat will count as PQD.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:29 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do you know in fact if this is a BULK fare?
Do you have a UA receipt and does it show a fare?
If the receipt says BULK fare, that is the better indicator.

It is not uncommon for the UA receipt to show, in error, "ineligible", see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...itinerary.html

It is an all or nothing situation with BULK fares, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...elsewhere.html

However, as suggested, E+ fee on BULK fares will earn PQDs.
Purchasing an upfare may not be possible if this is actually a BULK fare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.