Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Do you know if DL does status match?
I matched to DL Plat last year. I generally like flying them, but their international network does not match UA and *A, especially not from SFO. Also, their upgrade process is much less transparent . . . they do not display upgrade inventory on the website.

Give them a shot and see if it works for you.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by oopl
This is a bummer. With the increase in PQD I was hoping to see more benefits.
You got the 1K pre-boarding, announce about 10 days ago, Not sure that's worth $3000/year...
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:02 pm

Like others, I think these changes foreshadow:
  • elimination of platinum
  • eventual end of RPUs. I suspect UA saw most RPUs earned by GS and 1K were going to F&F and lowering CPU chance for everyone else.
Then we’ll have just GS/1K with earned certs. Plus they preboard. Gold goes to group 1, silver group 2. If *A creates a higher tier elite, then UA’s tiers would map almost 1:1.

As someone who will only ever make gold, thinning out the 1K ranks and upgrade cert pile can only help my UG chances.

Last edited by prometa; Sep 28, 2018 at 4:45 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mander
The only way this will affect me is P fares. I have some booked already for 2019. Will they let me refare or refund them? I would have purchased differently had I known about this.
Departure date, not purchase date, is reflected on webpage, but I do agree purchase date should be the determinant. If purchase date was the determinant, UA could see a boost in 2018 revenue

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 28, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
The P fare change is a disappointment, but I don't know how much it will affect me, since I typically hit 100K PQMs long before I hit $12K PQDs. That's partly because of some buyups I do to P fares. On the other hand, lately a number of buyups have been to other fare classes - yesterday's flight was to D class, for example. (If they really wanted to improve, they would train all phone agents on the GG BUYUP policy. I still encounter phone agents who want to charge a change fee on top of the fare difference.)

I agree with other comments in this thread that change fees should count towards PQDs, as should the upgrades they are now selling that don't change the underlying fare. When they first introduced PQDs, they talked about an "annual minimum spend". Well, if my receipt says UA, it sure sounds like I'm spending money on UA!

The changes to RPUs/GPUs would only matter if these instruments could be used more often. I am often waitlisted, but even as a 1K, the waitlist seldom clears. Unless R is available at booking time, I don't find these instruments to have much value.

$15K may be tough for me to meet. It's definitely not worth it for pre-boarding. It could be worth it if RPUs/GPUs could be used more easily.
claaaaaydavis likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:12 pm

As often as consultants fly you'd think they would not take such an axe to this program.
Lynnie_Bee likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by prometa
Like others, I think these changes foreshadow:
  • elimination of platinum
  • eventual end of RPUs. I suspect UA saw most RPUs earner by GS and 1K were going to F&F and lowering CPU chance for everyone else.
Then we’ll have just GS/1K with earned certs. Plus they preboard. Gold goes to group 1, silver group 2. If *A creates a higher tier elite, then UA’s tiers would map almost 1:1.

As someone who will only ever make gold, thinning out the 1K ranks and upgrade cert pile can only help my UG chances.

Over the years I had many RPU's lost and unused. So now we only earn 4 - not a deal breaker but not sure why the change. Maybe to make them clear for the road warriors as others have said?

I am guessing Platinum would stay, or what do they do to the MM fliers who are between 2MM and 3MM?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Despite them saying flights flown after 2018 won't accrue the 200% PQM, I feel they will still honor it for anyone who had tickets booked prior to today. If not they would have to refund or be setting themselves up for legal problems. Can't change the terms of a ticket already purchased.
The terms you agree when you purchase are that everything is subject to change regarding mileage. Deregulation makes any consumer protection state law irrelevant, and you have no case for breach of contract (you agreed to a very one-sided contract). Basically see any million miler lawsuit.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You got the 1K pre-boarding, announce about 10 days ago, Not sure that's worth $3000/year...
Well if you're already spending over $15k, it doesn't cost anything.

But this is going to make things really tough for people whose natural spend is in the $10-11k range who have been stretching to hit $12k.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
As often as consultants fly you'd think they would not take such an axe to this program.
I recently left my consulting job. With these changes I don't even think I'd qualify. You're required to fly coach (unless you were very senior management and the flight was over 4 hours). Alaska airlines seems to be a good program. They also have unique redemptions.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
Alaska airlines seems to be a good program. They also have unique redemptions.
From SFO it's a great program for domestic travel, so long as you're going somewhere they fly, and you're not looking for lie-flats on t-cons.

I'm literally 100% on upgrades since status matching to 75K.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I have no issues with this other than the already purchased 2019 P-class NOT earning 200%. This stinks and is disingenuous from United. In all prior devaluations that I remember they allowed tickets purchased before the change was announced to be 'under the old rules'. I suggest we all complain about this bit ... making retroactive changes to already purchased tickets is barely legal.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mander
The only way this will affect me is P fares. I have some booked already for 2019. Will they let me refare or refund them? I would have purchased differently had I known about this.
That's a legitimate request in my book
username likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
From SFO it's a great program for domestic travel, so long as you're going somewhere they fly, and you're not looking for lie-flats on t-cons.

I'm literally 100% on upgrades since status matching to 75K.
I'm thinking of statuses matching. I booked that ~1300 SQ AMD-SIN-EWR fare. United will credit me 100% for a D fare. AS credits some insane multiple.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
I'm thinking of statuses matching. I booked that ~1300 SQ AMD-SIN-EWR fare. United will credit me 100% for a D fare. AS credits some insane multiple.
325% if you're 75K.

If you match over post Oct. 1, your status is good all next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.