Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
The P-fare reduction and spend-increase would be more tolerable if UA also matched DL's OTHER approaches, which is earning on Partner tickets. Over the last few years, UA has really made it hard to ticket rational itineraries on 016 stock. Impossible to combine with BR. Nearly impossible to do anything with SQ. They cut the intra-Asia flights, so it's not possible to do hops within Asia on UA metal, and so you can't buy a ticket unless it's connected to your overseas leg.

Based on my last ~2 years travel, I may not actually qualify for 1K under the new rules. Which would be a real gut-punch, since my *A spend is WELL over $15k, and my miles are well over 175k. This may actually be what tips me back over to DL, since I can handily maintain Diamond there, while I may no longer be able to maintain 1K, even though I'd be flying and spending as much as ever!!

If they started playing nicely with partners, I feel this would be almost a non-event. :-/

Edit: Yes, I realize it's not JUST UA that has made this difficult. The Asian carriers have their own plating restrictions, which tied UA's hands. But that just makes it all the worse when UA refuses to give you any credit for flying in the Alliance they're increasing scraping you off onto!
Pingtung, Hipplewm and tomwhom like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Idiots. If anything, the fare PQM multiplier should go up, not down. This year I'm using the multiplier to get to Plat, I used it on a TPAC last year to get 1K. I look at it as I get a better seat and get to status faster. Take away the status faster and I just won't buy P fares anymore.

Frankly, P fares I thought were a hack that UA put in to raise revenue. Especially with buy-up offers from Y fares. And it gives you 1K at 50k miles if you do all P fares.

I'm willing to spend more money to get more stuff, but UA is making it so that I want to spend less. And if I can't make 1K on miles or dollars, I might as go fly Southwest and make my company fly me PE on TATL/TPACS.

This is pretty much the ultimate middle finger to 1Ks. Sure, feel like a GS- but we are taking everything else away.

No one talks about CPUs anymore, do they...

The P fare PQM is the real headscratcher. You'd think that they would want to sell more P, especially to 1k/Plats. I really don't think that they have modelled this correctly.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Since I'll be maxing at a middle of the road, >$12K <$15K spend while booking mainly P fares I'll have to do some math. Unless UA copies DL all the way and adds roll-over or credit card PQM I can see SQ getting a lot of UA 'credit' in my future.
tomwhom likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has it been confirmed that P is still First/Business rather than Premium Plus? There were reports that Prem+ would use O, A, R fare classes if I recall correctly, but I hadn't seen a final word on that. The description attached to P = 150% in the update is sort of noncommittal about what P actually means.
wpcoe likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, National Executive Elite, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Nice! UA in one fell swoop has encouraged me to stop buying P fares, place little incentive on pursuing anything above Gold status, and incentivized me to shift almost all my spend to DL as DL Plat seems like the best value for my travel/spend patterns.

Another brilliant Kirby move!
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Darlox
The P-fare reduction and spend-increase would be more tolerable if UA also matched DL's OTHER approaches, which is earning on Partner tickets. Over the last few years, UA has really made it hard to ticket rational itineraries on 016 stock. Impossible to combine with BR. Nearly impossible to do anything with SQ. They cut the intra-Asia flights, so it's not possible to do hops within Asia on UA metal, and so you can't buy a ticket unless it's connected to your overseas leg.

Based on my last ~2 years travel, I may not actually qualify for 1K under the new rules. Which would be a real gut-punch, since my *A spend is WELL over $15k, and my miles are well over 175k. This may actually be what tips me back over to DL, since I can handily maintain Diamond there, while I may no longer be able to maintain 1K, even though I'd be flying and spending as much as ever!!

If they started playing nicely with partners, I feel this would be almost a non-event. :-/

Edit: Yes, I realize it's not JUST UA that has made this difficult. The Asian carriers have their own plating restrictions, which tied UA's hands. But that just makes it all the worse when UA refuses to give you any credit for flying in the Alliance they're increasing scraping you off onto!
I am in the same boat as you roughly, maybe a bit less....

If DL would fix their award charts (even going back to an award chart) to make it so high value summer travel routes are ridiculous, I would hop back in a heartbeat For all the reasons you mentioned, but for now family comes first.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:06 pm

Oof. I'll hit 1K for the first time next month. And a big part of that is TPAC P fares. I also have a few TATL P fares on AC and LH next year that won't help quite as much if partners will also go to 150%.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The 200% P fare earnings was an overly generous gift that was not going to last forever.

I still don't understand whether 1K baggage allowance is impacted or not.

I haven't made up my mind how I feel about $15k PQD. If I were stretching to hit $12k, I'd be super bummed.
Originally Posted by LC757
Nice! UA in one fell swoop has encouraged me to stop buying P fares
Well you do get to sit in the front cabin for a deeply discounted price. UA believes that's incentive enough for most of its customers.
Silver Fox and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gmt4
If anything pople would jump to AA for a chance at EXP as it still $12K, DL has the same $15k spend for Diamond...
United is still at $12k for 1K status during 2019. Do you really think AA is going to stay at $12K for qualifying for 2020?????? They have a couple of more months to match United's 2020 ($15k) qualifying scheme.

Your post should be:

"If anything people would jump to AA for a chance at EXP IF it REMAINS $12K for 2020 status.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 28, 2018 at 2:16 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The 200% P fare earnings was an overly generous gift that was not going to last forever.

I still don't understand whether 1K baggage allowance is impacted or not.

I haven't made up my mind how I feel about $15k PQD. If I were stretching to hit $12k, I'd be super bummed.
You, me and @Darlox seem to be pretty close. We can go wherever and be fine, but will probably never make top tier (GS, 360, CK etc) We can go where it is best for us using our own personal criteria.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
So if one typically only earns 100K PQM and 15K PQD always buying economy, there is pretty much no difference?

Typically I am right at 100K PQM and 12K PQD, however this year, I think I'll be pretty close to 15K PQD. Too bad I can transfer that to next year.

I don't see any improvements in benefits, not even small things like bringing back GE reimbursment or statement credits, etc. Maybe this is how they are paying for those polaris lounges.

​​​​​​​I think as ticket prices go up, the PQD requirement will be easier to reach and thus the requirement will go up.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
United is still at $12k for 1K status during 2019. Do you really think AA is going to stay at $12K for qualifying for 2020?????? They have a couple of more months to match United's 2020 ($15k) qualifying scheme..
This starts Jan 1, 2019 (yes 2020 status) but knowing a year ahead of time, the time to jump ship is now, not 2020
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Sure, but just because AA is 12K doesn't mean people will automatically go there.

If DL would quite screwing up their FF miles and awards I would jump back in a heartbeat, the reason I left was family trips not service or schedule - as UA and DL have both treated me well when I flew. If I was switching due to the 15K being the show stopper, I would probably go back to DL instead of AA personally. but DL has the 125K PQM in addition to the 15K, so that is a double whammy, but if you are going to be one tier from the top no matter what then VoV (I am comparing ONLY DL and UA here, I know AA is still 12K, 100K PQM)
@Hipplewm thank you for this analysis. I have been given some of my OAL spend to DL due to the Skyteam alliance network and PQD $15k is the likely dealbreaker for me. Do you know if DL does status match? If so, once I have used my 8 GPUs in 2019 I may try and do a match to DL. I already have Gold with UA due to MM and Platinum is of little interest to me unless this would give me PE, so end of 2019 may be the move to DL. As long as UA keeps the TODs the same in 2020 I should come out ahead. :-) Long term planning. For 2019 a happy 1K!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I understand why UA went to $15k, and perhaps fliers like me right at the border of the 12k spend aren't worth it to them anyway since I'm mostly a domestic flyer- even the marginal + they get from me taking more expensive routes on UA than others - because the total is low.
It is what it is I guess.

Still - while I might hit 1K this year - i most certainly won't next year - my flying just doesn't cost that much. and the p fare drop is an annoyance for the times i have been buying it outright (again mostly domestically)

But I just wish the few benefits I got as a plat were worth a damned thing - my RPUs just don't clear. my miles + copay upgrades don't clear. the other day i was sitting on the upgrade list while the gate agent was trying to solicit buy ups. Not much in the terms of perks left above gold.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
@Hipplewm thank you for this analysis. I have been given some of my OAL spend to DL due to the Skyteam alliance network and PQD $15k is the likely dealbreaker for me. Do you know if DL does status match? If so, once I have used my 8 GPUs in 2019 I may try and do a match to DL. I already have Gold with UA due to MM and Platinum is of little interest to me so end of 2019 may be the move to DL. As long as UA keeps the TODs the same in 2020 I should come out ahead. :-) Long term planning. For 2019 a happy 1K!

yes, https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...hallenge.html/

However, even GS maps to Platinum, so that is the highest you can match to per the chart.....not sure if you can super secret squirrel your way higher -
Aussienarelle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.