Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Yes I get that, I still don’t understand why they continue to do this? Until then I suppose those who flies SIN-SFO 4x a year on $500 fares are equal to their USA based customers.
One of the smartest business decisions United makes.

1. Do you realize how hard it is to get the average Singaporean to not fly SQ. Or to get the average Frenchman to not fly AF. I remember my grandfather ripping into my Dad for flying the family to India on TWA instead of Air India. He said he was disrespecting his country by not flying the Flag Carrier.

2. Five RTs from SIN to US is a huge win for UA. Also, to get that 500 fare, that Singaporean is flying off-peak. Ever been on a 17hr 789 flight at 1/3 capacity? That wailing noise you hear isn’t the engine...it’s Oscar crying in Chicago.

Overall, these foreign flyers help United financially, while not materially impacting the core US based 1Ks.

Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
I have no issues with this other than the already purchased 2019 P-class NOT earning 200%. This stinks and is disingenuous from United. In all prior devaluations that I remember they allowed tickets purchased before the change was announced to be 'under the old rules'. I suggest we all complain about this bit ... making retroactive changes to already purchased tickets is barely legal.
I feel this is a 6 month change kind of thing, the P fare earns and $15k 1K re-qual. Wondering if GS is having some changes to UA PQD, although I guess we won't know until mid January, if at all

I also wonder, for this GS who have under 125K PQM but over $50K PQD, would they get 1K? I guess if you fall in this category you don't need GPU's to upgrade, but they are nice benefits to family and friends when usable?

Last edited by adambrau; Sep 28, 2018 at 4:46 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I wonder the internal goal is at UA for how many 1K's they want to drop. 25% maybe? Maybe closer to 10%?

I'm lifetime 1K so no impact to me - except, a few less 1K's would be welcome, I'm much further down the list than past years......
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:45 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cova
Surprised UA did not raise PQM to 125K to match DL Diamond.
I wonder if that is in the offing for some other Friday at 5:00. See the wording in the email I received below. They could, of course, be referring to when I used to get additional upgrades.

PsiFighter37 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Yes, the UPGRADE structure is changing at 125,000PQM

You get a single GPU instead of 2 RPU's, then a single GPU every 25,000PQM after that but no more RPU's
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
So, in other words, if you want to fly up front, you just have to pay for it. As advance confirmed UG' s become increasingly worthless, so is the value of the whole Premier program. Their suggestion that upgrades will become easier to score is laughable. The reason upgrades are hard now has more to do with their discount/TOD right up to departure, rather than the number of 1K's competing for the seats. Other than the free same day flight changes, I see little value in reaching even higher for less. I made 2mm this year, and am now Platinum for life. I'm a little sad to be losing 1K after 17 years, but also feeling a bit relieved. I'll just fly whoever I want, and forget singular loyalty to UA. There are better products available, including other Star Alliance carriers for less money.

Last edited by PremExecSNA; Sep 28, 2018 at 5:10 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Only a matter of time now that it becomes 125k PQM for 1K. I wonder if they are going to also thin the GS herd by quietly raising the bar in that program. It's going to be an interesting year or so.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Only a matter of time now that it becomes 125k PQM for 1K. I wonder if they are going to also thin the GS herd by quietly raising the bar in that program. It's going to be an interesting year or so.
I'm pretty sure they considered it at the same time they considered these changes. If they did, I can't see them changing PQM requirement for 1Ks any earlier than for the 2021 program year (ie 2020 flying).
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Ex-UA Silver | Global Entry | Ex-HH Gold
Lowest status here: I came from TPG's article to see if anything had changed for silver.
I am reading it as an upgrade for us 2 bags free now up to 70? Or does this ONLY apply to USA-Europe flights? Will my typical domestic and tpac routes remain unchanged? Or is this some kind of low key upgrade for us?

BTW I also have the MP Explorer card.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Their market capital is the highest it's ever been, so UAL decides to do this. #unitedlogic

Oil price concerns perhaps? Or are they really just trying to squeeze more cash out of us?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gregoryad
Lowest status here: I came from TPG's article to see if anything had changed for silver.
I am reading it as an upgrade for us 2 bags free now up to 70? Or does this ONLY apply to USA-Europe flights? Will my typical domestic and tpac routes remain unchanged? Or is this some kind of low key upgrade for us?

BTW I also have the MP Explorer card.
Domestic Silver will get one bag at 70 lbs. That's still an upgrade over the previous policy of one bag at 50 lbs.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
Domestic Silver will get one bag at 70 lbs. That's still an upgrade over the previous policy of one bag at 50 lbs.
I agree that this is an upgrade for Domestic Silver, especially on the return of a trip where most passengers don't have access to a scale when packing their luggage. Most of my pieces of luggage, if I totally fill them I might be at 50 lbs or 52 lbs or 54 lbs. Never close to 70 lbs.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Can anyone explain to me the advantage of Platinum vs Gold?

I have pretty much decided it is not worth going for 1K for 2020 (based on my spend) so trying to understand benefit of Platinum. I do not see any but think I must be missing something with this change. UA knows they will thin the 1K ranks with this move but I do not see the benefit of landing at Platinum vs Gold. I can't imagine UA wants to totally lose the flyers who travel PQD miles > 100k but PQD < $15k but what have they done to incentivize us to stay with Platinum?

Based on other comments DL challenge match will likely be in my future at the end of 2019
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by seanp7
Or are they really just trying to squeeze more cash out of us?
Yes, that and thin the number of flyers holding 1K benefits. Both to reduce their costs and make the benefits more attractive.

I would imagine their internal numbers support this decision.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
After being browbeaten last week into moving 1lb from my checked bag into my carryon (yes 51.0) I welcome the standard 70lb and baggage upgrades overall.

How close is the new 1K PQD to GS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.