Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP
I kind of have a feeling this increase also has something to do with the rumors circulating earlier this year with *A adding another level (ie. Diamond) above gold. UA might have thought this was a good opportunity to create a "buffer" between Gold/Plat and top-tier 1K. Probably shows that if a new top-tier *A level comes, it'll introduce access to *A F lounges, such as how Oneworld has gone with their Emerald level.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Additional thoughts:
1. Will UA give 150% PQM for after-purchase paid upgrades that book into P? Right now it requires reticketing into a premium fare, and that process can be an issue for tickets booked through a corporate travel department.
2. What happens to P-fare tickets already booked for 2019, where the receipt shows 200% earning?
3. I wonder if Marriott will take note of the likely reduced 1K numbers and offer Marriott Platinum status to GS and 1K (like Hertz gives President's Circle to GS and 1K)?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Can someone confirm the domestic economy baggage allowance for 1K members. One of the posts I read said “I cannot believe that United 1K members will no longer get 2 free bags when flying economy domestically”, but I cannot see that in the notes, The baggage note doesn’t seem to list what 1K members get.

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.
I think, in typically clear-as-mud language, they are saying baggage allowances are unchanged for 1K, but in several ways increased for other Premier members.

And now that everyone can check 70lb bags, have they got the handlers on a spinach diet?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I assume the P devaluation will hit partner tickets as well
I wonder this as well. There are usually many good P fares with LH, LX, OS... and much less good Z fares...
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
How about requiring those with overseas address to hit PQD targets just like your core customer base are required?

AA and DL doesn’t waive spend requirements for overseas customers.
And give those same oversees customers access to lucrative credit card bonuses, right?
Yellowjj likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Additional thoughts:
1. Will UA give 150% PQM for after-purchase paid upgrades that book into P? Right now it requires reticketing into a premium fare, and that process can be an issue for tickets booked through a corporate travel department.
2. What happens to P-fare tickets already booked for 2019, where the receipt shows 200% earning?
3. I wonder if Marriott will take note of the likely reduced 1K numbers and offer Marriott Platinum status to GS and 1K (like Hertz gives President's Circle to GS and 1K)?
They addressed #2 in their update. The earnings are determined by when they are flown, not purchased. Hits me particularly hard because I bought 14 one-ways in P on TUESDAY that now earn 25% less than they did yesterday.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Looks like Z still remains the same with 200% PQM? So normally what's the price difference P vs Z for international like TPAC SFO-TYO or SFO-HKG business class? If so I look forward to more Z/P play fun next year . I can swallow the $3K PQD but not the P fare PQM change since I don't like mile run and never did that.

Also exactly Jan 1st next year I had a BKK-NRT-LAX-SFO P fare flight, I just checked ticket receipt it still shows 17676 PQM (5774 + 10902 + 1000) online but on reservation page it shows updated 14701 PQM. I think it’s a little off to my advantage. My calculation is 13507 = 4331 (5774 / 2 * 1.5) + 8176 (10902 / 2 * 1.5) + 1000, a whopping 1194PQM difference. Am I missing something?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
My Jan 1st next year flight PQM has been updated per the new policy.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by transportprof
I guess that our RPU's are useless thread really caught the attention of UA's strategic planners. There should be a higher success rate in 2019.
There will only be 20 1K's fighting for that R0 instead of 30?
drewguy and goodeats21 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dkc715
With my PQMs running well over 300K annually the last few years, this is a big hit. Seems like a direct shot at people like me, even though my spend qualifies as a GS. A loss of 16+ RPUs per year will mean not much joy for friends/family, where most of them are used. Oh well, nice while it lasted.

I suspect the number of RPUs in circulation will drop by well over 50% in 2020.
You are likely one of the folks who were factored into the changes. For flying yourself, the P fare change likely won't matter to remain GS. And UA knows their CPU and instrument clearance rates suck, so they will try to minimize the clearance rate for those who are not the owners of instruments....
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfingboy
How about requiring those with overseas address to hit PQD targets just like your core customer base are required?

AA and DL doesn’t waive spend requirements for overseas customers.
DL still waives MQD requirements for those with international addresses.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[deleted, irrelevant]

Last edited by fumje; Sep 28, 2018 at 1:44 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA MM
This $12k --> $15k change for 1K is going to matter? I might spend $15K with just enough PQMs for Platinum.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:00 pm

Unless someone is pretty successful using the confirmed upgrade instruments 1K isn’t worth much more than Gold. And Platinum going forward certainly isn’t.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Sucks..I've already started booking out Jan and Feb '19, and I've bought P fares for those. Looks like I'll be taking a hit on the PQMs.

Overall crappy program devaluations if you ask me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.