Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Email has gone out.

Seems they're getting better at timely communication.

It alludes to the changes but doesn't quite spell out the reduction in RPU crediting or increased spend.

Still, this seems to be good, straightforward notice.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ezefllying
I intend to keep this quote on hand the next time an agent tries to argue that P is “technically” a coach fare. Sorry, folks, but this is from United’s own website. They should be legally estopped from arguing otherwise.
It won't do you any good, because they'll just argue that it isn't "technically"a P fare. The vast majority of domestic first class fares are sold as coach + a differential, whether they're P, Z, D, C, A, or even F. Agents' inability to understand that isn't likely to change.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tomwhom
My Jan 1st next year flight PQM has been updated per the new policy.
Just checked my flight for next May, LAX/LHR United codeshare on AC, P fare and reservation still shows 200% PQM.

?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Of course, this is done on a Friday. They are back to the Friday games. So, basically 1K's get to board the same as they did before, but get less benefits. Sounds right..
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:19 pm

This does make me reconsider my travel patterns with UA. Buying P fares and meeting the PQD requirement (whether directly or through the CC waiver) have enabled me to reach Gold for a handful of years. The change to 150% PQM for P fares will make it harder for me to qualify, and I'll likely consider OAL more as a result.

Buying a premium cabin gets you a lot of the benefits of status anyway, so I'm more comfortable flying OAL in a premium cabin than in Y. The change makes sense from UA's perspective to increase revenue, but I'm not sure that I'll continue to direct so much spend towards UA if I'm not going to be able to make Gold with that spend.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
So I have a P Class Polaris Fare, rom LHR to PDX next April that was booked last August, as United have now changed the earning ability on this Fare am I able to cancel and get a refund? They should had just said for tickets bought after x date
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:26 pm

So is the P fare the new "Basic Premium" (as opposed to N fare the Basic Economy)?

Seriously, I can live with the P fare "demotion" when I can score sub-500 USD transcon F OW fares. Heck, it was even possible to score BOS-SFO biz fare for $399 at some point. And with the changes in upgrade instrument earnings, what matters more is the RDM (unless of course, you are targeting MM tiers).
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: All the programs!
This is a bummer. With the increase in PQD I was hoping to see more benefits.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
This hurts. Just started flying United in 2016. Got 1K for 2018 and will get it for 2019. After that, probably not.

My wife who only travels for vacation will get 1K for 2019. After that, surely not.

And I'm at least 7-8 years away before I get lifetime status. I think I will still have to fly United as they have many flights to Asia and it's easier for me to get to ORD rather than the hubs of DL or AA.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:36 pm

I expected P to be cut down for a while, especially with DL/AA only offering 150% for their respective FC fares (excluding full F/J). I noticed they labelled P as a general Premium cabin fare. I wonder if that was intentional. Might not be so bad if P goes to Premium Economy and Z takes over as the lowest First Class fare.

Based on the tone of the posts here, I'm guessing the Group 1 lines will once again swell in 2020.
wpcoe likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1k, 1MM
At first I was thinking along the same lines, but thinking a little more I am starting to think that this will be better. The RPUs are *almost* worthless these days. I can never get my requests to clear. Last year 4 of them expired. Maybe with fewer of them out there requests will have a better chance of clearing? Not sure on this, but maybe.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
The P fare going down to 150% is great news. Imagine if it stayed at 200%, many of you would be over 100K PQM, and well below $15k PQD. Now you'll reach the two thresholds at more or less the same time
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Trappy
So I have a P Class Polaris Fare, rom LHR to PDX next April that was booked last August, as United have now changed the earning ability on this Fare am I able to cancel and get a refund? They should had just said for tickets bought after x date
Despite them saying flights flown after 2018 won't accrue the 200% PQM, I feel they will still honor it for anyone who had tickets booked prior to today. If not they would have to refund or be setting themselves up for legal problems. Can't change the terms of a ticket already purchased.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Of course, this is done on a Friday. They are back to the Friday games. So, basically 1K's get to board the same as they did before, but get less benefits. Sounds right..
This is no different than the very same playbook back at Continental when we got the famous blue carpets - 10 days of fanfare over the carpets and priority boarding lanes (the first in the industry) followed roughly 10 days later by no more elite miles on discount coach fares and removal of almost 40% of domestic F seats from their aircraft. This is more of a Bethune Playbook action than a Parker Playbook action.

I'm fine with the change because I can just go back to spending less money (I'm international) and adding an extra Asia trip or 2 with my GPUs and pocketing the difference. Two can play the same game, no problem.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
The only way this will affect me is P fares. I have some booked already for 2019. Will they let me refare or refund them? I would have purchased differently had I known about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.