Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP

Changes were just announced that starting 2019, Premier 1K status now requires $15k PQD spend (up from $12k)
Seems to be an aftermath effect of adding pre-board benefit to 1K.

In addition to the higher spend requirements, changes to upgrades starting in 2019:
-Total possible RPU earnings will be capped at 4 per year (2 for Plat, 2 more for 1K)
-6 GPUs will be earned upon reaching 1K, 1 per 25K PQM after.

Perhaps they're getting ready for Premium Plus??

Post from ThePointsGuy: https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...ts-premier-1k/

Last edited by BullishGS; Sep 28, 2018 at 11:39 am
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Great. Not.
Thanks for posting though.
drewguy likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm more upset about the RPU's going away after the first 4. Not that I have ever been able to use them all its still a major reduction in benefits.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
After reading the new boarding perk for 1K's you'd think half the plane is 1K - so, not surprised the spend is going higher.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by erickliu
Changes were just announced that starting 2019, Premier 1K status now requires $15k PQD spend (up from $12k)
Seems to be an aftermath effect of adding pre-board benefit to 1K.
Can I keep the old $12K spend if I board with Plats?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
sucks for me.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I wonder what % of 1k this will demote? Anyway, welcome to Platinum everyone, it's like Gold, but with a slightly different atomic number!
SF1K, milypan, superEGO and 16 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I'll be dropping from 1K to Gold in 2019. At first I was bummed. But then I realized I applied RPUs to most flights and they didn't clear, CPUs aren't a thing really, and the 77W in Econ is awful. I've been flying more SQ recently.
1k650, milypan, naumank and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
MileagePlus Updates

This page is currently down for maintenance.
Please try again later.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
The P PQM reduction hurts the most.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
The P PQM reduction hurts the most.
This.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
2 things:

1) The 150% PQM on "P" fare is a real thing then!

2) With a PQD requirement of $15000 I predict many will, ahem, move to an overseas address?
AceReport likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
The 150% PQM P fares isn't great, but lately it has mostly been Z fares for me, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I think the $15k requirement isn't great, especially with a downgrade in RPUs (even though they aren't really all that usable).

What matters is how they implement this true Prem Plus class. If it is a modest price difference internationally but gives you a guaranteed GPU upgrade to biz, then I will likely be happy. But if it's a significant price delta with the same GPU lottery that we have today to get into biz, I am much less likely to bite.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:43 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, few RPUs, Bag waiver & more

Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Appreciate the update information but it feels like a general downgrade for 1Ks. With no news on how the new premium economy class will work internationally with upgrades and such, it is hard to say now that these are positive changes.
Markie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.