Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Can anyone explain to me the advantage of Platinum vs Gold?
Less costly fees on ticketing, canceling award tickets and certain other fees
More non-status companions can be brought into E+
10x RDM multiplier insteadof 8X
Better CPU chances, earlier confirmation
2 RPUs
And you can get there without PQD (Chase waiver)

I decided to spend $400 extra this year to earn it by EOY

YMMV.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
After being browbeaten last week into moving 1lb from my checked bag into my carryon (yes 51.0) I welcome the standard 70lb and baggage upgrades overall.

How close is the new 1K PQD to GS?
Maybe just one third of GS PQD.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was waiting for another shoe to drop when they put 1Ks into the preboard group Kind of not liking the baggage change. Although I have used it only once, it is nice to have. I actually like the GPU change - most of the years, I have RPUs going unused anyway. As long as the economy is going well, they own us.

It is interesting how many people started observing changes with P class PQM and baggage allowance here before this announcement. So, we all have to be observant and stay one step ahead of the game. What is next? Making switching to a foreign address more difficult and audit the travel patterns?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Can anyone explain to me the advantage of Platinum vs Gold?
My wife is Platinum and she likes being able to get Boarding Group 1. And she does get upgrades on international long hauls when she uses her miles + copay or my GPUs (I cannot have her on my PNR as work pays for my tickets). Two times this year, she got the last upgrade of the plane. She would not have made it if she was only Gold.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10x RDM multiplier insteadof 8X
Platinum is 9X, not 10X.

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
My wife is Platinum and she likes being able to get Boarding Group 1..
Gold now gets BG1.

I might spend $400 to reach Platinum; I certainly wouldn't spend more unless I normally traveled with a large group. Gold is a sweet spot.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,PC Plat,MR Lifetme Titanium,Ex-CO Plat,UA 1K
MP Enhancemnets?

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
At least UA didn’t have the nerve to try and brand these as ‘enhancements’.

So 1Ks get to board faster to earn less while flying and less chance to requalify. Great changes! /sarcasm
The email I recrived did bill this as enhancements:
"We're introducing some updates and enhancements to our United MileagePlus® Premier® program, including updates to Premier 1K® status qualification requirements and changes to our upgrade structure for members who fly 125,000 Premier qualifying miles or more. Since you're a Premier member, we want to make sure you're aware of what's changing and how it affects you".
As of September 18, 2018, Premier 1K members like you are now able to board earlier than before, when pre-boarding is announced.
Beginning January 1, 2019, we're updating:
■ Requirements for Premier 1K status qualification for the 2020 program year
■ The way you earn additional upgrades after already reaching Premier 1K status
Please visit mileageplusupdates.com for additional information.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
At least UA didn’t have the nerve to try and brand these as ‘enhancements’.
Originally Posted by afCAMEO
The email I received did bill this as enhancements
At least they didn't call them "Changes you'll like!"
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Might not be so bad if P goes to Premium Economy and Z takes over as the lowest First Class fare.
Unlikely, since all UA's close partners, ie NH, AC, LH, LX, SN, etc use P as deep discount premium cabin fare code.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
for all intents and purposes the GPU is unchanged after 100k, but the elimination of RPUs is a HUGE downgrade. Every year I upgrade 8 people to and from spring break in central america/Caribbean with these RPUs. The loss of that will definitely sting.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by seanp7
Their market capital is the highest it's ever been, so UAL decides to do this. #unitedlogic

Oil price concerns perhaps? Or are they really just trying to squeeze more cash out of us?
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, that and thin the number of flyers holding 1K benefits. Both to reduce their costs and make the benefits more attractive.

I would imagine their internal numbers support this decision.

Remember Kirby thinks fares should be double.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tomwhom
Maybe just one third of GS PQD.
So about $45k

LOL Thanks.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by wco81
Remember Kirby thinks fares should be double.
So it makes since to keep the PQM and PQS the same. Same amount of travel, more $$$
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So about $45k
More like $50k+ at SFO.
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Not much impact for me, but this is gonna kill some 1K's who get their 100k and $12k with a lot of domestic trips.

Also, pretty poor form to release this on a Friday afternoon near the end of a quarter.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by gokeeper
Unlikely, since all UA's close partners, ie NH, AC, LH, LX, SN, etc use P as deep discount premium cabin fare code.
Do we know for sure if all these carrier’s P fares will now be at 150% PQM? I’m assuming so but didn’t see it in the announcement ... it only talked about UA P fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.