Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by username
I have been 1K probably the last 8-9 years, I think. This year, work travel dropped drastically and probably won't come back up. I ended up buying a P fare and did a mileage run to Asia to makeup for the shortfall. I will be very close with PQD. I am Lifetime Gold.

I have been thinking about what to do in 2019 before this came. I think the biggest reason I want 1K is the flexibility with award bookings. Essentially, my miles are worth a lot more with the flexibility. Given the uncertainties with work schedule and the tightening of award inventory, the fee-free award cancellations and changes for 1K really help. Flying J on overseas trips (with my GPUs) is nice but with more and more airlines offering PE and with SAUA, I think the GPUs are not as important as the fee waivers for me.

One thing I struggle with is this 1K thing is sort of an addiction. I am a pretty frugal person and it is kind of crazy I would spend thousands of dollars to do a run for 1K. So, I think there is something irrational and not healthy. I don't even drink coffee

1K, I wish I knew how to quit you
Very similar situation, I had been debating a mileage run to SIN to make 1K again for 2019, but I may as well just quit now. Will eschew all excess spending going forward and endeavor to barely make Gold. I got a ton of upgrades and really enjoyed the treatment as a 1K, but struggled with the extra $3K outside paid for work travel that I needed to spend on runs to make $12,000/100,000. United saving me a few thousand dollars by making it clearly not worth it. Thanks for the raise United!!!
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:50 am

For those of you who think this will increase upgrade options I have news - it wont.

When DL did this same thing everyone said the same thing (although the DL people have a much higher opinion of Diamond than UA fliers do of 1k so it was a way more contentious thread).

What happens? UA sells more upgrades on booking/day of departure. All those people who used to be 1K? They buy them. There won't be any more upgrades available now with this rule then there were prior to the issue.

I switched from DL to UA after the DL fiasco for two reasons:

1. DL hates the families of their diamond members. This is predicated on the observation that DL fliers would rather screw their family to get an upgrade than allow people to upgrade their family when they fly. UA allows me to move my entire family to economy comfort. Since I am gone all the time this seems like a must have for me - my wife deserves something besides me not being there for all the flying.

2. The schedule for UA is better for me than DL.

Moving forward, everyone needs to realize that the airlines do not care about us as passengers. This is a money grab pure and simple. I think this predicated on the fact that after AA follows suit next year there will be no one left to switch too. They days of heavy competition for our travel dollars is gone.
ani90 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:50 am

Going forward there will be only two substantive levels-Gold and GS.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by username
I have been 1K probably the last 8-9 years, I think. This year, work travel dropped drastically and probably won't come back up. I ended up buying a P fare and did a mileage run to Asia to makeup for the shortfall. I will be very close with PQD. I am Lifetime Gold.

I have been thinking about what to do in 2019 before this came. I think the biggest reason I want 1K is the flexibility with award bookings. Essentially, my miles are worth a lot more with the flexibility. Given the uncertainties with work schedule and the tightening of award inventory, the fee-free award cancellations and changes for 1K really help. Flying J on overseas trips (with my GPUs) is nice but with more and more airlines offering PE and with SAUA, I think the GPUs are not as important as the fee waivers for me.

One thing I struggle with is this 1K thing is sort of an addiction. I am a pretty frugal person and it is kind of crazy I would spend thousands of dollars to do a run for 1K. So, I think there is something irrational and not healthy. I don't even drink coffee

1K, I wish I knew how to quit you
LOL! I was like that for years. With each kick in the teeth from UA I’d go back for more. I just needed to be 1K. Then I almost stopped flying them cold-turkey. Having moved to East Bay adding an hour drive each way for an a one or two hour flights (mostly west coast flying) was not worth it to earn 1K. When they eliminated GF and with that made premium international awards so difficult, almost no R space on PS or Hawaii flights and I realized I was earning benefits that were useless to me.

I still fly them sometimes if schedule and price are best choice. But I concentrate on making MVPG on AS as for me the benefits there seem better.

Also, unfortunately, I find the treatment as a 2MM Platinum flying first to usually be less than a non-status passenger flying First on almost any other airline.

It it will be interesting to see if UA decides to get rid of Platinum level. Guess that would be another kick in the teeth from them. The biggest difference for me would be the fee waivers - which are certainly a nice thing. The 1 extra mile earned (above Gold) is nothing and the 2 RPU - well again haven’t been able to use them much and usually the buy up is $300 max so guess that would be about $600 a year taken away.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: United 1K, Expedia Rewards Gold, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Gold Status, Presidential Plus
Of all the problems I have with this, of which there are many, this is my main problem:

Why are you changing qualification requirements for Premier 1K status?

We’re adjusting qualification requirements for Premier 1K status with the goal of offering our most appealing program benefits to our most loyal customers and making these benefits, such as upgrades, more easily available.

This is a lie. I will guarantee that CPUs will not increase by 10% in 2020. Bet me Oscar, bet me! 1K's should get access to PN availability. This is hot flaming trash. Am I mad on the internet? You bet your [Moderator edit]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Oct 1, 2018 at 8:46 pm Reason: Per Ft Rules.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Increased PQM for International 1Ks?

My S.O. is a 1K with an international address. He is currently traveling in Europe but told me that his email from UA stated that although those with an international address will still be exempt from the PQD requirement, the PQM requirement has been increased to 125,000. I've asked him to forward his email so I can take a look, but if that is the case, then UA has decided to use this method to make the requirements for international customers more stringent as well!
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
My S.O. is a 1K with an international address. He is currently traveling in Europe but told me that his email from UA stated that although those with an international address will still be exempt from the PQD requirement, the PQM requirement has been increased to 125,000. I've asked him to forward his email so I can take a look, but if that is the case, then UA has decided to use this method to make the requirements for international customers more stringent as well!
I have an international address too and received the email. It's just confusing to people but the 100,000 PQM stays the same for international. It is just talking about upgrades.

We're introducing some updates and enhancements to our United MileagePlus® Premier® program, including updates to Premier 1K® status qualification requirements and changes to our upgrade structure for members who fly 125,000 Premier qualifying miles or more. Since you're a Premier member, we want to make sure you're aware of what's changing and how it affects you.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by edcho
I have an international address too and received the email. It's just confusing to people but the 100,000 PQM stays the same for international. It is just talking about upgrades.
Thanks, yea, that's what I thought, but he sent me a panicked email overnight. lol I will reassure him. :-)
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by mozilla
Also, note that the devaluated P-fare earnings were already calculated into the mileage earning projections since at least the end of August.
Maybe for a few folks, but many reported P at 200% EQM. I purchased a TATL ticket on 27 Sept for travel in Jan, P fare, and the receipt shows EQM at 200%.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Pat89339

I wonder if that is in the offing for some other Friday at 5:00. See the wording in the email I received below. They could, of course, be referring to when I used to get additional upgrades.

I'm glad someone else noticed the email said 125K PQM, but then when you go to the link that lists all the FAQs, it only talks about the PQD and P fare changes. What kind of marketing communication is that? Or are they trying to sneak in this PQM change and hope no noticed?

Currently, PQD isn't a problem for me given that intl J class seats for a business trip are usually booked close enough to departure that they cost a lot have a high close in pricing. It's the PQM requirement that is going to kill 1K for me as I'm barely getting that with 4-5 intl trips a year, I will now need to somehow ask for extra an extra trip next year.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Explorer789
I'm glad someone else noticed the email said 125K PQM, but then when you go to the link that lists all the FAQs, it only talks about the PQD and P fare changes. What kind of marketing communication is that? Or are they trying to sneak in this PQM change and hope no noticed?
No, this has been explained a few times. Upgrades are changing at 125K PQM (1 GPU instead of 2 RPU) and above. I actually think the sentence is pretty clear rather than deceptive. The link does mention upgrade changes.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Explorer789

Currently, PQD isn't a problem for me given that intl J class seats for a business trip are usually booked close enough to departure that they cost a lot have a high close in pricing. It's the PQM requirement that is going to kill 1K for me as I'm barely getting that with 4-5 intl trips a year, I will now need to somehow ask for extra an extra trip next year.
You are confused. 100K PQMs is the hurdle for 1Ks. THAT HAS NOT CHANGED. At least not yet .The 125K PQMs you show refers to the change in RPU/GPU earning structure at that is occurring at that level and beyond. Re-read the screen shot more carefully. At 125PQM, one will now be getting one GPU instead of 2 RPUs. And for every 25K beyond that, one additional GPU instead of the current (more generous) allocation. Which everyone complains that they can't use anyway...
seanp7 likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 29, 2018 at 10:31 am
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
They days of heavy competition for our travel dollars is gone.
Until the next recession. Swings and roundabouts.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:35 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by seanp7
I actually think the sentence is pretty clear rather than deceptive.
I mostly agree, although a comma might have helped make it even clearer.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Zorak
I mostly agree, although a comma might have helped make it even clearer.
Yes, the ambiguous wording is on baggage allowances. Based on what the baggage calculator tells me (not entirely reliable) that has not changed for 1K.

There have been lots of predictions over the years that UA would cut GPUs to match DL and AA (4 certs). Guess I'm glad they did not do that. Maybe next year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.