Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
II will happily hold up a backpack in the overhead and ask whose it is. As long as it's not a row 1 pax, I either ask them to to put it under their seat (usually loud enough for the FA to hear) or I'll self move it/rearrange if no one responds.
I don't even understand why anyone would put their backpack in the overhead unless they're in row 1 (and thus have no choice). I like having all my stuff within reach during the flight (which is why I've generally stopped picking bulkheads in F).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
delete
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
A lot of people aren't interested in pre-boarding - or even milling around BG1 - so there were probably more 1K's. I'm almost always one of the last to board. Personally, I'd rather wait in the UC or Polaris lounge than sitting around on the plane waiting for everyone to board.

I do like the perk though if I were to choose to use it - I do think 1K's are far more valuable to UA than non-1K's sitting in FC/Biz. I'm sure the kinks will get worked on the Pre-board announcements so GS can board first consistently if that is what they want to do. With change, it is rarely perfect immediately.
If you can cite data on this, then fine. Your premise has no foundation other than opinion and/or bias. This is from a PremEx 2mm flyer for the past 35 years who, I sill conjecture, has spent plenty on this carrier.

This bias has stimulated me, and I and others will get UA to reverse the unwise and unfounded intention that F cabin pax go behind elite pax. Boarding time should be equal, and I think others in my genre have voiced their opinion. There is no factual, or rational, basis for your premise that F cabin pax are "less valuable" to the carrier. I will stick right with you, post for post, until this nonsense stops.

Thank you
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
After I dropped from 1K to Plat, I sometimes even used that ridiculous Premier accelerator to maintain Plat. The Plat advantage that was most valuable to me was BG!. My spread sheet shows my ending the year with 50,005 miles. Not near enough benefit between Plat and Gold to make mileage runs or buy miles. United just lost several flights to DL. Do not think Kirby will lose sleep over my giving Dl 25,000 miles, but this change gives me more flexibility.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Two data points from my boarding experience at ORD today...
1) prior to my flight, I watched one other gate boarding. The GA combined all pre-boarding into one quick announcement, no pause or separation whatsoever.
2) at my gate (to DCA), the GA provided an early description of the boarding process. He only messed up the order of families w/ infants, putting them before GS. When he actually started the boarding process, he DID pause substantially between all groups and wait for them to board. And he had the order correct but still allowed a family to board during the military phase.

Shame on first GA. Credit to second GA for trying to get it right. United, please enforce this process correctly front the start or it will be an uphill battle for all.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by FullFare
If you can cite data on this, then fine. Your premise has no foundation other than opinion and/or bias. This is from a PremEx 2mm flyer for the past 35 years who, I sill conjecture, has spent plenty on this carrier.

This bias has stimulated me, and I and others will get UA to reverse the unwise and unfounded intention that F cabin pax go behind elite pax. Boarding time should be equal, and I think others in my genre have voiced their opinion. There is no factual, or rational, basis for your premise that F cabin pax are "less valuable" to the carrier. I will stick right with you, post for post, until this nonsense stops.

Thank you
Yes, there is. The 1K pax has already provided UA $12,000-49,000 in revenue in 1 calendar year AND flown around the globe 4 times. And you have not or you would be 1K. Simple as that!
If you want better boarding, spend more with United!

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 20, 2018 at 9:36 pm Reason: Moved added sentence of poster from poster's next post which can now be deleted as a duplicate of this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

Yes, there is. The 1K pax has already provided UA $12,000-49,000 in revenue in 1 calendar year AND flown around the globe 4 times. And you have not or you would be 1K. Simple as that!
I agree - it is fairly simple math. If you had to choose - who do you want to make happier? The 1K who spent at least $12,000 and 100,000+ miles in a calendar year, or the less than 1K who hasn't shown the same commitment - but just happens to be first class.

UA has strong reasons to want 1K's happier. Here is the data. Another thread widely says there are probably about 100,000 1K's - if that is the case, that means $1,200,000,000+ reasons to keep that group happy - and that is based only on minium PQD
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:12 pm

Another flawless boarding! GA follow the script!! Zero issues boarding my flight to from IAH -ATL out terminal B
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
There's absolutely no reason for 1Ks to pre-board even with carry-ons. There's zero chance of no overhead space even at the end of BG1. The hysteria of "no overhead space" by the end of BG1 is just that. I end up often boarding w/ BG2 and have never had a problem.
On most aircraft, no, but bin space in F is a major issue on the E175's and 319's. If you're in row 1, unless you're first on board, there's a pretty good chance you may have to backtrack to economy to store and retrieve your bags. I've had E175 and 319 flights recently where the bins in F/J were full in the middle of boarding group 1. Often on the 319's, much of the bin space is already taken by safety demo equipment and crew bags. Generally not as much of an issue with the rest of the fleet.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

So is it the short run, or the long run, that UA should relate to in determining the ultimate merit of its passengers? A lifetime 2mm PremEx who happens not to be 1K one year, but nevertheless pays up for an F cabin ticke, is demoted in boarding stature even below a newly minted 1K? What about lifetime spend? Spend is what ll the carriers are fixated on. I think they should take that into consideration.

If it is squeezing extra money to board first, what about asking the F or J non-1K pax to pay a surcharge for pre-boarding equality at the end of purchasing his/her F cabin ticket? See if that goes over well.

I don't find the rationale about 1 year's flying as meritorious for justification to downgrade PremEx lifetime flyers. Multi-years contribution would be more equitable, and that data should be findable and such contributions recognized.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I'm a lifetime Gold MM that flies F most of the time, but also in economy for short hops. For many years I flew in row 1 because I didn't want anyone to recline in my space. Now I usually sit in row 2 to have underseat storage and gird against a full overhead bin.

At first I thought it was weird that F is behind preboard, but as I think about my experiences, I've been fine in group 1 and 2. As long as I'm ahead of most of the passengers and can get bin space close to my seat I'm ok, but that means still having to board as early as possible. Arriving late in the boarding process is the kiss of death whether a A319 or an IPTE J/Y+/Y 772 and many aircraft inetween.

I wish CO hadn't messed with the old process years ago just because it was UA. I'm not angry at UA regressing ever so slowly to PMUA procedures.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FullFare
...A lifetime 2mm PremEx who happens not to be 1K one year, but nevertheless pays up for an F cabin ticke, is demoted in boarding stature even below a newly minted 1K? What about lifetime spend?...
The 1K has demonstrated continuing current value to UA.
"Lifetime spend"? Funny. UA is looking for current and continuing value. If you die after flying 5 million miles with United, they're not going to put a plaque on a bulkhead in your honor.
A one-off full fare passenger is just current value. More valuable than a (most) Basic Economy customer(s), but less perceived value than a customer who is demonstrating current and continuing value.

You are deceiving yourself as to how UA values you at any point in time. It really is variable. If you've qualified for Silver, you will be treated like a Silver, not like you were 1K at one time.

Think of it this way - United values it's customers on "What are you doing for United nowadays?", not "What are you doing for United today" or " What have you done for United in the past?". 1Ks and GSs have the answers UA likes for the first question.

When I quit flying like I do, I'll sink to Gold courtesy of MM. I won't be wondering why I'm not being treated like the 1K I was for 10 years (or whatever it ends up being) - I'll expect to be treated like a Gold (and as UA decides how they'll treat Golds). It's pretty simple.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 19, 2018 at 6:32 pm
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Ive always loved on regional flights, with 50 seats, how the boarding groups play out. Literally once continuous sentence.

"We're starting per-boarding for those who need assistance and also active military and group 1. We now welcome group 2, group 3 (cough cough) group 4, and uh, group 5"
I once had a flight out of EWR on a Q200 where the one and only boarding call was "Alright! Wilkes-Barre!" And everybody rushed the podium at once.

It's very typical on UAX flights originating in outstations to call groups 1 and 2 together with almost no pause after pre-boarding. I will abide by the Flyertalk code of ethics and make way for GS's to board first. But at outstations on UAX, I am often the only one to board when G1 and G2 are called together, after nobody responds to the GS pre-board announcement.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I find the 1K over F part the most curious. However, a lot of 1Ks are in F or businesses anyway. That’s why I have it.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Two data points from my boarding experience at ORD today...
1) prior to my flight, I watched one other gate boarding. The GA combined all pre-boarding into one quick announcement, no pause or separation whatsoever.
2) at my gate (to DCA), the GA provided an early description of the boarding process. He only messed up the order of families w/ infants, putting them before GS. When he actually started the boarding process, he DID pause substantially between all groups and wait for them to board. And he had the order correct but still allowed a family to board during the military phase.

Shame on first GA. Credit to second GA for trying to get it right. United, please enforce this process correctly front the start or it will be an uphill battle for all.
Gate agents know who’s going to board the plane. I think it’s fine if they combine small groups.

Originally Posted by SS255

I once had a flight out of EWR on a Q200 where the one and only boarding call was "Alright! Wilkes-Barre!" And everybody rushed the podium at once.

It's very typical on UAX flights originating in outstations to call groups 1 and 2 together with almost no pause after pre-boarding. I will abide by the Flyertalk code of ethics and make way for GS's to board first. But at outstations on UAX, I am often the only one to board when G1 and G2 are called together, after nobody responds to the GS pre-board announcement.
In this example, which I’ve also experienced, UAX outstations sometimes combine large swaths of the boarding process and all is fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.