Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
SFO Polaris Lounge Reopened - 4 January 2022

United Airlines Unveils United Polaris Lounge at San Francisco International Airport
Lounge is first of four United Polaris lounges expected to open this year

SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2018
-- Beginning April 30, customers traveling in United Polaris, the airline's international premium cabin travel experience, will be able to relax and dine prior to their travels or refresh upon arrival in the new United Polaris lounge at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) conveniently located in the International Terminal near Gate G92.
United Polaris Lounge at SFO Facts & Highlights
  • Two levels across more than 28,000 square feet
  • 440 seats
  • 19 different types of seating
  • 492 power outlets and 492 USB ports
  • 8 pieces of art by prominent Bay Area artists, all San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) Society for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art (SECA) Art Award honorees
  • 5 private daybeds outfitted with Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
  • 8 luxurious shower suites, featuring rainfall showers and Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Personal valet services, including steaming garments
  • "The Dining Room" – a private restaurant style dining area with a menu designed by Chef Tritia Gestuvo, a California native, that blends international comfort foods — such as a traditional Chinese congee breakfast and hand-cut pappardelle pasta with mushroom ragout — with staples like the United Polaris Burger
  • A bistro-like buffet that includes a ramen noodle bar in the afternoon and additional unique-to-San Francisco treats that align with the flight schedule and destinations of United and Star Alliance partners
  • Cocktails inspired by the Bay Area, including the Mai Tai, invented in Oakland in 1944, and the Pisco Punch, featuring pisco which became all the rage during the California Gold Rush of 1849
For more photos of the United Polaris lounge at SFO, visit the United Newsroom
Originally Posted by djsflynn
... Also and for those interested, here's a link to download a PDF (10.5MB) copy of the Polaris SFO menus, as provided to media in the press pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjv4i9s97g...0Menu.pdf?dl=0
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. SFO-TPE
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. LAX-SFO-NRT or NRT-SFO-LAX
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. NRT-SFO

Hours - 6:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily
reportedly a la carte dining closes at 9PM

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr, old GFL is intl prem cabin lounge
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best SFO United Club?
Print Wikipost

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:53 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by PacificClipper
The public restrooms at EWR and IAH are nasty. I complain about that in every survey when I've traveled through either airport. It's a disgrace that United won't improve facilities in its own hub locations that benefits their own customers and employees.
Hmm, I can't say that I've noticed them being notably worse maintained than other large US airports, or indeed public restrooms more generally (I accept that that's a pretty low bar).

I think a more legitimate complaint is the quality of the UC restrooms at EWR, which never seem that sanitary to me.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:09 pm
guw

Anyone know the opening hours of the dining room in the SFO Polaris lounge? It doesn't seem to be open all the time.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by guw
Anyone know the opening hours of the dining room in the SFO Polaris lounge? It doesn't seem to be open all the time.
Appears the menu dining stops at 9:15PM and the buffet continues until 11PM-ish.
There were initially some reports of later menu dining on certain days but have not heard any recent reports of the special days.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by guw
I seem to recall that there were reports that they were also closing it for a period (maybe 45 minutes) between the breakfast and lunch services. Maybe between 11:00 AM and 11:45 AM. I don't know if it's still like that.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I seem to recall that there were reports that they were also closing it for a period (maybe 45 minutes) between the breakfast and lunch services. Maybe between 11:00 AM and 11:45 AM. I don't know if it's still like that.
There is a break in service at the ORD Polaris Lounge. I can't recall the length, however.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, United Club, IHG Ambassador/Spire
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I have just been through SFO Polaris Lounge 1-2 weeks ago. They closed the dining room between 11-11:45 am for transition from breakfast to lunch service.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:08 pm

Hi. Did anyone happen to notice if there were any vegetarian/vegan food options? The pics/discussion do not seem to suggest there are many but maybe that is not that exciting so not pictured/discussed. Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: None anymore
Here on a Tuesday at 9:30AM and its pretty empty actually. Very helpful staff.
edit: now 10am and it has definitely picked up but plenty of empty seats available.

Last edited by warrenw; Jun 12, 2018 at 10:56 am
Old Jun 16, 2018, 4:14 am

Programs: 1K
I’m a fan of the new lounge. Food and beverage is a bit better than the UC. It is also a LOT quieter. The little pods have nice, large seats with a side desk that I put my laptop on. The service is also a step up.

Last edited by hookthem; Jun 16, 2018 at 4:35 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: Miles and More
Is it correct that there is no separate section in the Polaris Lounge for First Class customers?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by olivier
Is it correct that there is no separate section in the Polaris Lounge for First Class customers?
Correct.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I was in the SFO Polaris lounge recently. Overall opinion...IMPRESSIVE.

The space is large and there is a great selection of seating.

The buffet had the best selection I've seen in a business class airline lounge in the U.S. There were a good number of staff in nice uniforms making sure dishes and food were refilled at the 2 main food stations, as well as keeping things clean.

The showers were great and the pre-warmed towels were really nice. There is decent counter space as well as a good sized bench with a solid white top, on which one can sit or place a bag etc. A nice touch is the full-length mirror on the back of the door.

The only issue seems to be the water - the sink water was burning hot and not much fun to brush teeth with. It started off as balanced but became hot within a few seconds. Since these faucets are sensor-based without taps, it should really be addressed.

The shower had a perfectly functional temperature dial, so all was well there.

A hidden gem of quiet was the downstairs area. There is also a nice selection of seating, restrooms, a water/ juice/ coffee/ tea station with a few snack items on the side. I was really happy to get a bit of time in the nap or quiet room.

I also liked the UA staff person at the long desk on the upper floor. Very helpful.

Here are my photos.

I really liked the variety of the artwork and other displays.

A cool feature are the charging outlets at the bottom of this seating on each side.

This is one of the seating areas downstairs.

What is great about these workstations is that you have enough space to put your laptop bag or backpack on the seat next to you, and the lighting was good. The only small issue is that I found at least one of the charging sockets was not working.

This station is towards the back, before the showers and nap rooms.

The bar on the upper floor.

One of the food stations at the buffet.

The other one.

The sign said Noodle Bar. Toppings were next to it.

There were a variety of salads, sandwiches and some dessert items.

The hallway where the showers are located.

The nap/ quiet room area

The Dining Room on the upper floor.

Their version of the Cobb Salad was just great. Dressing was served in a small cup on the side.

Burger was fantastic.

Others sitting nearby let me take photos of their food choices.

Crab Cake - presentation was beautiful

Cioppino

Profiterole - also beautiful presentation

Vkuo, geclub1, gcashin and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Nice images and very nice indeed, flagship Polaris Lounge for sure. I was there when it first opened and it looks like they got there act together in a few areas since I was last there. Showers looked nice but that is something I typically wouldn't use with SFO as a hub for me. Thanks for the posting the images.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: None anymore
What time were you in the lounge? The food looks way better than what I got (during breakfast)
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by nomad420
Nice images and very nice indeed, flagship Polaris Lounge for sure. I was there when it first opened and it looks like they got there act together in a few areas since I was last there. Showers looked nice but that is something I typically wouldn't use with SFO as a hub for me. Thanks for the posting the images.
@nomad420
Thanks!

Originally Posted by warrenw
What time were you in the lounge? The food looks way better than what I got (during breakfast)
Well, not during breakfast. I was there during burger & bubbles time.
BTW, I can't speak for the SFO Polaris breakfast, but based on my experience in some high-end international lounges and places like AC's new Signature Suite in YYZ, breakfasts are often the least elaborate of all of the meal offerings. There are a few exceptions where the J or F lounges have food items not specifically breakfast-type as the lounges have many international travellers coming through at various times of the day with body clocks set in different time zones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.