Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Positive Experiences with UA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fearless2357
Wanted to give a special shout out to Joy who works at the UA club in ATL.

Normally a DL hub, didn't expect ATL to have great UA infrastructure, but the club is very nice there (self-serve bar with wine and beer) and great people working there.

Joy helped me evaluate the chances of my RPU clearing on a 777 flight from ORD to SFO. She even had details like what status levels were ahead and behind me so I would know whether to use my coupon or switch to another flight. In the end, she helped me look for the best possible routing to get back to SFO after a long day of work flying, and got me on a dreamliner from IAH back to SFO for me to catch some sleep on the ride home.
Joy is the best! She has gone above and beyond to help protect me on AA/DL flights when necessary, monitor flight status, and figure out what my best options are for getting wherever I need to go. She will even come find where I'm seated to give me updates (even though the app sometimes beats her to it). Can't say enough good things about her.
BlueSky72 and fearless2357 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Great service by Arlene (LAS checkin agent in the Premier area). She proactively got our party of three (three different PNRs due to one award booking and the automatic splitting of the PNR) on an earlier flight as delays in SFO today due to weather. She even kept our upgrades for the earlier flight. Am writing in later today with the compliment for her.
As a follow up the pilot on the LAS-SFO flight greeted each pax at the door and thanked us for choosing to fly United. Kept us updated on the delay, explaining the reasons and reminded us that the FAs did not cause the delay so to be nice to them (great teamwork). Exceptional customer service. My main goal is for the pilot to get me where I am going safely but this pilot set a new bar!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
So a 1-2(-3?) punch of awesome from United this week

First: I checked a bag that was tagged through to the final destination on another airline (UA->KX). UA flight was a train wreck (delayed due to earlier aircraft swap, pushed - got to the end of the runway, discovered MX issue, returned to gate and waited for aircraft swap) leaving me 12 minutes to connect to the only flight of the day -- when I had 3+ hours originally. The other airline was holding the flight for me but insisted that UA hadn't sent them any information about the bag so, despite it being through tagged, they had to re-tag it and charge me and I should "take it up with United". Obviously as the flight was now past departure on account of my late arrival, I wasn't going to argue.

Sent an email to 1KVoice, not expecting anything except perhaps a simple apology or even just pointing the finger at KX, but got a reply within hours apologizing, saying that she had tried to call but missed me, and a check for a refund of the erroneous charge would be mailed within 21 days and a generous voucher on top for the inconvenience of the compound delays/short connection/extra bag fee.

Second and tear inducing: My wife's grandfather is in the hospital with a fairly bleak diagnosis. I booked her, her father, brother, and sister-in-law tickets to be with him. Since I was out of the country on business, wouldn't be able to make it back in time to go with them, I sent an email to one of my friends at UA asking if they could look out for her and anything to make help ease the stress of the journey, especially for my father-in-law who has his own medical concerns and doesn't travel frequently.

My wife got a call from United within minutes of the email, and to say that they were all looked after, from what I understand, was an understatement -- including keeping an eye on seat availability for earlier flights to help get them there even sooner if a seat happened to open up. When I arrived back home this morning (we had decided it would be best for me to hold down the fort(s)) they were there and genuinely concerned for my wellbeing -- apparently I looked as emotionally beat as I felt -- suggesting to the point of virtually insisting that I may want to pause for some rest before leaving the airport.

It is truly amazing what some very simple but genuine gestures can do (and of course I already sent an email in to local management highlighting the above-and-beyond) ^^^
Kacee, findark and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I continue to be very impressed with overall service level as a 1K, although I suppose due credit to FT as well for teaching me where the corners are to cut

I was moving a TATL award trip up a day, and I wanted to route through a West Coast hub to pick up questionably available SK I space and a proper-duration TATL to sleep on. It took two agents (the first who would "only give me what the website shows, end to end") but I was able to ticket SK space that would not go through on ua.com, and then a second agent tacked on the domestic sector and added an IN waitlist. The ability to improve award flights like this is something I will really miss when I lose 1K, but I will probably be something like $7,000 short this year which is sadly impossible to justify.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
The ability to improve award flights like this is something I will really miss when I lose 1K, but I will probably be something like $7,000 short this year which is sadly impossible to justify.
Don't worry -- the ability to improve award flights like that may well go away entirely in a fully-dynamic world anyway.

But I'm glad you had a good experience this time. ^
Old May 12, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
Don't worry -- the ability to improve award flights like that may well go away entirely in a fully-dynamic world anyway.

But I'm glad you had a good experience this time. ^
Fair enough. The devals were enough to convince me to take LH F wherever I can find O space, so still hoping for that

But I am consistently happy with the frontline agents I get, which is I think my original point.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:26 pm

Dan from SAN was awesome on Thursday when my SAN-SFO was delayed. He got me on the earlier flight. Awesome service from him, as always.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The service on a recent return flight cross country (SFO - EWR) was especially good. I counted at least 4 times the drinks cart came out, the FAs were really friendly. This versus twice on the longer EWR to SFO leg of the trip.

Finally, FA asks if you would like the can (of seltzer water) first, and understands lemon and no ice means pax does not want ice in their drink, but lemon to mix the sparkling water.

Bravo!
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Had an extremely tight connection in DEN due to a late incoming flight (2 minutes left from incoming plane door opening to outgoing flight closing) . I was planning to make the run but was greatly surprised by a GS angel with a golf cart at the gate who rushed me to the departure gate (I am a 1k and not GS). Seeing great employees like this once in a while is what keeps me flying UA.
jsloan, rch4u, jupper and 4 others like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:10 am

SAN - at Gate 42 there were a stack of paperback books available for pax. Great touch! Especially since the PDE did not work. FA tried to tell me it was because I do not have the latest app. As I traveled two days ago and it worked I suspect there was an issue with the PDE and not my app.

Book was great for reading. Should have more of these second hand books available at gates
Old May 24, 2019, 1:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
SAN - at Gate 42 there were a stack of paperback books available for pax. Great touch! ...

Book was great for reading. Should have more of these second hand books available at gates
A "Little Free Library" book exchange at gates
lincolnjkc, mmack, narvik and 1 others like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A "Little Free Library" book exchange at gates
They have one at JAC
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I was at CLE last week, exhausted and jetlagged, waiting for my evening AC flight to YYZ in the UC. (UA ticket, and UA agents handle AC flights at CLE) The flight got delayed due to late incoming aircraft, and some time after the original departure time. I ended up dozing off and woke up literally the exact minute of the revised departure time. I ran to the gate, only to find the door closed and the jetbridge pulling back. There was a UA flight to ORD that was just wrapping up boarding, and the GAs at the AC gate called the ORD gate to keep the door open for a few extra minutes so they could squeeze me on the flight and get me back to YYZ that night. There were 4 agents at 2 gates who worked to get me on that flight, but they got me out of a jam when it counted and did it in a very helpful and polite manner.

CLE staff are always great in my experience. ^ Pretty easy CPUs too.
jsloan, lincolnjkc, jupper and 1 others like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Rolling delays heading in to ORD today due to storms. Had a 2.5 hour layover for a TATL flight which disappeared. Very thankful for the phone agent who spent 90 minutes with me trying to find an option to get to ARN without losing a day. They managed to get us there only a few hours later than we were scheduled too (the first 10 options we tried we could only get standby)
jsloan likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
My son w/o United status booked a great Saver Business Award and then noted it was for the wrong date. He called United within 30 minutes of booking and the agent re-booked him, same terms, on the date he had intended to book. I expected them to allow him to cancel w/o penalty, but didn't expect them to give him his new flight on the phone w/o advising that there would be a charge for booking by phone.
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.