Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Positive Experiences with UA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:36 pm

Several short segments from WAS to small north Midwest airports via ORD in the past couple of months. Excellent service from UA ticket and UC agents for IRROPS, my convenience, and/or my mistake. Silver, by the way.

-A Sunday afternoon. Delayed from DCA due to Midwest weather, causing misconnect at ORD. No flights available to my final destination for two days. UC agent proactively booked me on an AA flight from ORD to get me to my destination in a timely manner. And missing miles credit was an easy phone call to the Premier desk. (I had written separately in the AA IDB thread that even though I had a confirmation # from AA, the AA GA was not going to let me board. It worked out and it was not UA's problem.)

-Wanted to standby for an earlier flight from ATW with a destination of FAR via ORD. Ticket agent first said it could not be accomplished, but also stated that she did not know why because there were plenty of seats on both flights and I'd be #1 on the list for revenue standby. Rather than dropping it, she called the help desk, and got it fixed. If she had not made the call, I would not have known any better.

-My fault. I got to the counter 2 minutes before cutoff at BIS (checking bags). Boarding was in process because an early departure was scheduled due to 'ATC instruction from ORD'. Agent called the ramp who said it was too late (even though agent clearly stated I made the cutoff time). I told her I was flying home and the bags could follow later, but she couldn't do that. But she found a flight to DEN and then to IAD for me. Notable in that she was one of the contract agent's that serviced multiple airlines at BIS. It all worked out; I was happy since I cut it so close. (And this was an award flight.)

-On that DEN-IAD flight, a 787 or some variation, departed late due to late F catering. But apparently Y was not fully catered either. Very limited BOB selection (if I had known, I would have bought something airside to bring on board, as I only had a light snack in the UC). UA sent me a survey a day or two later. I completed it, noting that the delay affected all passengers, but Y was most affected because of a limited BOB selection. Received a $75 ETC, unexpected, unprompted.

Very pleased with the past two months and off again tomorrow on similar routes out of DCA.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:02 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I got a great supervisor this week (1k customer care?) out of Chicago. I had booked 3 first class standard award tickets on an A320. The aircraft changed to an A319 and my 2 non status sisters lost their seat assignments. With a now oversold cabin, this meant they were going to be downgraded at the gate. The situation was really complicated....we were all meeting in Chicago for this flight and one of my sisters has a fear of flying so we all needed to sit together, etc, etc. Enter this amazing supervisor.

The supervisor personally called another couple on our flight and explained the situation, offering them $$$ to switch to an earlier flight, thus freeing up two seats for my sisters. Thank you UA!
jsloan, lincolnjkc, rch4u and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Ericka
The supervisor personally called another couple on our flight and explained the situation, offering them $$$ to switch to an earlier flight, thus freeing up two seats for my sisters. Thank you UA!
Wow!
This is stuff I have heard them do in the past....quite surprised there's still some effort going on nowadays in this regard.
Kudos!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:15 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Ericka
I got a great supervisor this week (1k customer care?) out of Chicago. I had booked 3 first class standard award tickets on an A320. The aircraft changed to an A319 and my 2 non status sisters lost their seat assignments. With a now oversold cabin, this meant they were going to be downgraded at the gate. The situation was really complicated....we were all meeting in Chicago for this flight and one of my sisters has a fear of flying so we all needed to sit together, etc, etc. Enter this amazing supervisor.

That is amazing and major kudos to the UA supervisors ^^^
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by lamphs
-My fault. I got to the counter 2 minutes before cutoff at BIS (checking bags).
Not sure I see how that is your fault!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Flying OGG-LAS via SFO. OGG flight got in at 8:19pm. Hustled from 81 to 70 to see if I could make earlier (8:40pm) flight to LAS. Arrived as they were clearing non-revs. Gate agent: "I only have middle seats". Me - "I'll sit on someone's lap if I have to". Plane pushed 3 minutes early, so 18 minutes from OGG arrival to LAS push. Difference between getting in to LAS at 9:56pm vs 12:22am.

Funny thing was, while taxing to gate at SFO I was debating whether or not I should even try. I almost resigned myself to a two-hour layover, but on jetway figured "what the heck?". I'll never assume that close a connection is impossible again. T-15 means something if you have a seat, but not when you're hoping for one...
jupper likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 26, 2019 at 7:48 am
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
And this is what keeps me loyal...

I am flying LAX-EWR-BOS soon. I'm on a P fare. I noticed this morning that PZ is available on the LAX-EWR leg, and I have two regionals burins a whole in my system.

I call UA and explained that I would like to refare down. "I understand there is likely a change fee" I added.

The agent immediately said, "If you aren't chasing flights, I won't charge you the fee." Mind you, I usually anticipate no change fee for the buy up. But I always expect to pay it when going to a lower fare. Before our call was finished, a voucher for $445 dollars was waiting in my inbox.

I really appreciated this. Perhaps it is normal operating procedures. Not sure. But I appreciated nonetheless.
jsloan, chavala, CREN and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Thanks for sharing. I've never thought of a fare-down. Something to consider in the future, although I expect most agents will charge a change fee.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It never occurred to me to chase a flight. ^
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
But what about the PQMs?!?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kale73
what does that mean?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala
what does that mean?
I don’t know, but it apparently involves a fee.

Originally Posted by zrs70
The agent immediately said, "If you aren't chasing flights, I won't charge you the fee."
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chavala
Originally Posted by kale73
what does that mean?
typo in OP -- pretty sure "changing" was intented

"nothing to see here"
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:17 pm

You are very fortunate to have gotten the change fee waived and allowed a downfare. I tried the same thing last week on when I noticed PN available and gave up after 2 hucas. Would've saved a bunch.
appreciate the DP will try harder next time
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:20 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

United also recently waived a second change fee for me after I embarrassingly had to change back to my original flight. They definitely didn’t have to and I appreciate the gesture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.