Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Positive Experiences with UA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
On DFW-SFO Wednesday, Did a SDC winding up on the afternoon A319 nonstop in Y+. Captain was quite personable. Made an announcement at the gate prior to boarding thanking passengers, kept everyone informed of the flight progress while in the air and had FA passed out his business card with an appreciation note written on the back to customers in front and several of us sitting in Y. First time for me. Felt appreciated.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
SFO-OGG 5pm flight just delayed little over two hours. Went to customer service desk and asked for food voucher. $20 cert, no problem. Was hoping for enough to cover $10.95 curry chicken / rice at Sankaku, but need to find $20 meal now 😬

edit: bowl of clam chowder and Yankee salad at Yankee Pier.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 15, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
BOS on 9/12. ATC delays everywhere. They kept the United Club open until 9:30, when most flights would be boarding.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Kudos to the luggage handlers in SFO on 9/16.

My first flight was due to land at 9.26pm and we arrived 5 minutes early and my next flight started boarding at 9.19pm. Fortunately the gates were next to each other so I boarded at the end of BG 4. We were due to depart at 10.04pm but doors closed and we left at 9.56pm. Was watching the app for the luggage tracking like a hawk and it looked like the luggage was not boarded and I was okay with that as I was going home but a bit peeved that we left the gate early while my luggage was being transferred.

Very happy surprise that my luggage was on the luggage carousel - great job United ground crew who move the luggage! An impressive feat.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Unclear how much this qualifies, but I was certainly relieved...

I boarded my flight yesterday to find that my seat was missing its cushion (open to the metal frame below). With a full F cabin and only middles left in the back, I immediately got the sinking feeling like I was going to have to deal with a downgrade. However, a quick look into the galley and the FA said it was written up and maintenance was on the way with a new cushion. I spent an awkward 15 minutes standing in the aisle with nowhere to sit, but after boarding was complete sure enough a tech hopped on and plopped the new seat on in about 20 seconds. Easiest MX of my life
jsloan, narvik and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Unclear how much this qualifies, but I was certainly relieved...

I boarded my flight yesterday to find that my seat was missing its cushion (open to the metal frame below). With a full F cabin and only middles left in the back, I immediately got the sinking feeling like I was going to have to deal with a downgrade. However, a quick look into the galley and the FA said it was written up and maintenance was on the way with a new cushion. I spent an awkward 15 minutes standing in the aisle with nowhere to sit, but after boarding was complete sure enough a tech hopped on and plopped the new seat on in about 20 seconds. Easiest MX of my life
Makes me wonder what exactly happened in that seat on the inbound flight? I'd have been baptizing the rest of the seat in Purell.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by findark
However, a quick look into the galley and the FA said it was written up and maintenance was on the way with a new cushion.
Did it take you saying something for it to be written up?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by transportprof
Makes me wonder what exactly happened in that seat on the inbound flight? I'd have been baptizing the rest of the seat in Purell.
I tried not to think about it too much, but there wasn't anything visibly wrong with the rest of the seat. It's possible it broke in some manner - the sCO F seats are getting really old.

Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
Did it take you saying something for it to be written up?
No - I had poked my head in the galley to point out that my seat was inoperable and before I could say anything, the FA assumed I was the pax in 1A and said my seat was on its way. Now, I did spend my minutes in the aisle on my phone working out that I was going to try to get them to OAL me to the AS flight two hours later if the seat didn't show up, but that's just due diligence
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Phantom paid inventory -- resolved

I had a transatlantic P fare ticketed by United. I have flown the outbound and wanted to change the return, which was on AC. I searched and found a flight that met my needs involving the long segments on an LX Z fare. I paid the change fee and fare difference and booked it.

Immediately checked on line (yet another reminder of the lesson to always do this) and it said something like "business waitlisted." I called the premier line, and an extremely helpful agent confirmed that there was indeed no availability on Z/P for these segments and indeed my credit card was charged though it hadn't been ticketed. She put me on hold, checked with a supervisor, and called Swiss, but was not able to resolve it.

She then said that this was a website glitch that happened to a few people. She said that United would make me whole by buying whatever ticket is necessary. I ended up with a comparable itinerary on LH/UA that is showing a C fare. (Maybe I will get a bonanza in PQM, though I told her that I would be content with the PQM/PQD that I originally purchased.)

I was expecting "too bad, we'll refund the fees and restore your original itinerary and now you're on your own if you want to change." But she was courteous, competent, apologetic and, best of all, resolved it to my satisfaction. She thanked me for my loyalty. (Yeah, I'd have slightly preferred LX biz from Europe to the west coast over UA from FRA, but not that big of a deal.)

By the way, is there a thread on phantom inventory on paid tickets? Lots of discussion on awards, of course, and some posts on the various threads dedicated to web site glitches, but a master catalog might be helpful. First time this has happened to me, though it has been rare in the past for me to purchase paid premium fares from United, but I do so now -- their implementation of PQD has worked as intended.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Surprisingly proactive customer service recovery

I flew TXL-ERW today. I had booked E+ on the outbound and J on the overnight return. Out of curiosity I messed around with the app on the way to the airport and saw that an upgrade to J was offered at $829 (a fairly typical offer). I decided that I’d buy it at check in.

When I asked about buying an upgrade, the agent said that I could either pay the full price of $829 or cash in 20,000 miles and pay $550. Since I can deduct the upgrade price and want to keep my miles, I said “I’ll pay the full price.” She took my card, processed the payment, handed me my BP, and then gave me the receipt for $550. I asked her why $550 rather than the full price...basically a communication problem.

Her supervisor comes but to try and reverse the transaction, but by now upgrades have jumped to well over $1,200. He didn’t want to do that to me. He says he’ll try a few more things and suggests I go to the lounge. Ten minutes later he comes up and says there’s nothing he can really do, but he feels bad about the whole thing, and sits with me playing on his iPhone trying to get me as much comp as he can. He’s really getting creative. Eventually he finds a ticketing error category that allows an immediate 12,500 miles. I tell him that’s fine, all is good.

So upgrade cost $550 + 7,500 miles. I can live with that.
BlueSky72 and SkiPremier like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: HHonors (Diamond), Marriott (Gold), United (Gold - MM), American (Platinum), National (Executive)
Talking Kudos to United

I stopped flying United a few years back with ~975K lifetime miles because United Didn't Care!! (Cancels, misconnects and never a fix other than WAIT). A few months back (at the suggestion of a friend who has been flying United recently) I took and made the status challenge and yes life on United seemed better.

Well....last Monday I was due to Fly to OKC through ORD and Sunday night at 11PM I received a text that my flight would be delayed by 4 hours causing me to miss my meeting. I decided to call (not expecting much) and was pleasantly surprised when the reservationist ask me to hang on, found another flight on Delta (arriving around my original time) and confirmed the flight and my sets allowing me to make my meeting. Wow!!! that wouldn't happen a few years back and didn't happen on another Major earlier this year. YES United has changed for the better!! Kudos PLEASE keep it up!!
princeville, mrt88 and mdbe like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I only started flying UA about 4 years ago and always had great experiences with support. The united phone reps based in the US are really 5*, esp in IRROPS they've always been great and understanding of circumstances! I've had status on european carriers before and never had this level of service, much more by the book on the other side of the pond and inflexible.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
A few months ago all of the late evening ORD-BOS flights were significantly delayed (I was on one of them) due to weather. I asked a gate agent if I could switch to an ORD-LGA instead that was about to board. Agent was able to make the change. Flexibility to change destination was beyond what I expected and I really appreciated the flexibility.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Yesterday, flights in and out of SFO were problematic. Woke to a text from United flights were okay, then a little later flight was delayed 30 minutes. When I arrived flight was delayed 60 minutes. I had a tad over 2 hours for the connection in SFO so not too concerned but decided to check my carryon so easier to run to the next flight if a further delay.

Dan, check in at SAN offered to switch me to a flight to connect through LAX as there seats available but I had 1A on the first leg and was #1 on the UG list out of SFO so decided to keep my same flights. Also, SFO has the Centurion lounge if I need to wait.

By the time I got through security delay had reached 90 minutes. Sitting in the Aspire lounge delay was at 2 hours so was walking back to the gate and heard my name paged.

Dan and Naomi (gate agent) proactively moved me to the flight through LAX. My checked luggage also got moved and I arrived in LAS two hours later than intended but way earlier than a misconduct through SFO.

I sent a note into UA with the compliment about both of them, noting that employees such as Dan and Naomi are why I will continue to fly United.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:44 am

Had a 41 minute connection in IAD last week on my way to AMS, but my inbound was delayed. Cabin crew informed the pilots who sent a message to UA ops (at least that's what they told us, I'm guessing through ACARS?). In the end we docked at the gate 29 minutes late, cabin crew had everyone stay seated so we could get off first and try to make our flight. Arrived at the gate for AMS about 10 minutes before departure, gate agents were waiting for us and had held the gate open so we made our flight ^.

I checked the UA app on board before landing and we had already been rebooked via FRA in case we wouldn't make it, which meant a 3.5 hour wait in IAD and a 4.5 hour layover in FRA so we were obviously very happy. Miraculously enough our bags made it to AMS too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.