Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Positive Experiences with UA

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
Is Glenfichas Scotch the product of a seat-side blending of Glenfiddich and Glenfarclas? Now that would make United unique!
Count me as someone who appreciates a good blend more than a single malt!

To the OP - the truest statement you wrote is "I feel it's how you approach the agents". Even in the darkest years of UA after the merger, I never felt like I got bad customer service, and often found it to be very good. I believe (whether correct or not) that in most bad experiences, the customer is contributing to the problem.
danielonn likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by danielonn
I feel its how you approach the agents.
I have had mostly positive UA cs experiences the past few years, but 1 out of 10 UA phone agents is mean and unhelpful and it doesn't matter how you approach these.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by Kacee
I have had mostly positive UA cs experiences the past few years, but 1 out of 10 UA phone agents is mean and unhelpful and it doesn't matter how you approach these.
It matches my experience as well.

United CS got my back many times. I will always remember Stephanie from Utah. She got me out of a difficult situation in India after the local guys fumbled badly (cancelled flight and having me fly out FIVE DAYS later). I will also remember that lady that opened 4 reward seats for me when Air China changed our flights so the connection became illogical. And of course, in these cases, having an attitude of "let us talk like friends/colleagues", that works in your favor. It makes for a more pleasant experience for both parties and increases the chance that you may be helped the proper way.

But yes, unfortunately, you get from time to time people that shouldn't work in CS. They define their job more as gate keepers and less as people that - within rules, of course - should make your experience more pleasant.

And this is probably my biggest gripe against United. There are gems out there. There is also pretty good service, without being gems. But you never know. On the phone, in the air, you get sometimes the person that should be there, and these seem to be tolerated much more than at other companies, say the best in their class: the SQ, NH, LH...

Management in my view often compound the problem by lacking consistency. They announce a great change about Polaris but then slow down delivery to a crawl. Add meal options in Y International that actually mean you get 2 meals instead of 3. Dial back food in domestic F based on "customer input" after making a big fuzz about renewed food choices a few months earlier. So, somewhere, employees are left dancing between aspiring to be a great classy carrier or just one of the carriers for whom the bean counting is the top priority. That leavescustomers puzzled.

United lacks a purpose, an overriding mission in my view. It should be careful. Companies that are a bit of everything to everyone do not fare well in this economy (look at what happens at Sears).
transportprof and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
The BEST United FA's EVER

I'll let you read what I wrote in the post flight survey. Seriously, they could have downgraded the snack to dog food and I would not have cared if these two were serving it.

Moreen and Mimi who were working the first class galley were spectacular. My parents and I were sitting in seats 1A, 1B, 1E and watched both Moreen and Mimi working. Moreen took the time during boarding to greet each passenger at the door and even give out pins to children while saying hello to each one. I can't remember the last time I was greeted at the door by a United flight attendant but I sure will remember Moreen's greeting all done with a smile.

A group of 50 chaperones and students were running late for the flight due to getting stuck at security, so they ran to catch our flight. Moreen and Mimi took the time to offer water to the passengers after their mad dash to catch the flight. Couple of the chaperones were elderly and looked like they would faint but seemed to be fine after couple of calming words from Moreen and Mimi along with the cup of water they offered.

On top of taking care of the first class cabin, Moreen and Mimi also took the extra effort to help and try to figure out the luggage situation for the elderly lady mentioned above, by contacting the gate agent with the passengers information.

United has recently made some unpleasant cutbacks to their first class inflight dining, but with the professionalism and friendliness that Moreen and Mimi displayed during service and presentation of the snacks, the three of us were too mesmerized at the kind of service and professionalism which we have not seen inflight in a longtime to care about the terrible catering.

Finally, one of the two flight attendants working in the economy cabin, came up to the first class galley where Moreen and Mimi were working and gave both of them grief for giving out water to members of the 50 student and chaperone. We need more flight attendants like Moreen and Mimi at United and NOT more like the one that came up to first class to give Moreen and Mimi grief about a glass of water.
jsloan, wrp96, BlueSky72 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
So I'm flying RIC-ORD-CLE again... Same route as when I OPed this thread back in January.

Was supposed to be flying RIC-EWR but that flight posted a 2+ hour delay and I rebooked myself to avoid a disconnect/airport Sprint in the best case. First the supervisor who handled geting my bag pulled and rerouted remembered me from 6 months ago, and once again took great care.

Then the FA on our E145 has a great sense of humor with his PAs and stopped by leaned in and said "Mr. LincolnJKC, it's a pleasure to have you on board today" with a firm handshake and genuine demeanor.

It really doesn't take much to make me happy, but it sure makes me feel valued :-)
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
New UA "Spirit?"

Hey FT,

Was on UA 758 from EWR - LAX with a 6:00AM EST Departure yesterday. Had the best crew I ever think i've had on a UA flight, or any flight for that matter. Pilot got on the PA and gave a cheery welcome to everyone, detailed the specifications of the plane, made some great dad jokes, and gave us all the nerdy information about flight distance, what we would be flying over, etc.

FAs were incredibly attentive, greeted each person in Business by name, and were extremely pleasant the entire flight. Then when about to land, the FA came by and gave me a note from the Pilot about being a loyal member and thanking me.

Really blown away and wish all flights on UA were like this. Any other experiences like this recently? A new training program maybe taking effect?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: 1K
It is hit-or-miss. Always has been and always will be
Rumples likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Rumples
...FAs were incredibly attentive, greeted each person in Business by name, and were extremely pleasant the entire flight. Then when about to land, the FA came by and gave me a note from the Pilot about being a loyal member and thanking me...
In my experience the pilot can set the tone and give direction in a way that in contagious to the other crew members. Not always, but I've seen it happen more than a few times. Sometimes this even manifests itself with a Captain buying the crew Starbucks (or Dunkin') before a flight. Gets everyone in a cheerful mood.
TopBanana, BlueSky72 and Rumples like this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Rumples
Hey FT,

Was on UA 758 from EWR - LAX with a 6:00AM EST Departure yesterday. Had the best crew I ever think i've had on a UA flight, or any flight for that matter. Pilot got on the PA and gave a cheery welcome to everyone, detailed the specifications of the plane, made some great dad jokes, and gave us all the nerdy information about flight distance, what we would be flying over, etc.

FAs were incredibly attentive, greeted each person in Business by name, and were extremely pleasant the entire flight. Then when about to land, the FA came by and gave me a note from the Pilot about being a loyal member and thanking me.

Really blown away and wish all flights on UA were like this. Any other experiences like this recently? A new training program maybe taking effect?
Just a guess... this was a 28J 752 wasn't it?
Rumples likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by truncated
Just a guess... this was a 28J 752 wasn't it?
Yep!
Rumples likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:51 pm

Thank you note from captain...

UA303 DEN LGA July 2, 21A.

I am *S. About ½ way through the flight, the FA from F (I assume because I had only seen her at boarding), handed me a piece of paper “this is from the captain” and walked away.

Turned out it was his business card with a handwritten personal note thanking me for my business.

It was a bit funny because the FA seemed irritated about having to hand me the card. And my row mates gave me a look of “who are you to get a note from the captain?”.

Anyhow, good job UA. I appreciated the gesture!
lincolnjkc, UAL250 and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Two stunning crews in the last week, both of which prompted me to write in with compliments.

One on LAX-SYD - they were brilliant in every respect, right down to the one bloke who had a great time using his dry wit on my kids (who later asserted that these were the best flight attendants in the world).

Then another fabulous crew on NRT-SFO today - a flight that was also notable for going out with 18 empty seats in J on the 77W.

Having flown QF, SQ, and NH all in business as well on this trip, there is no question that while SQ really nailed it on the food (thanks to a couple of good BTC orders), UA won hands down on service and soft product in general. None of the others were bad, but UA was fantastic.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Flew COS-IAH-PIT this morning. Delayed departure out of COS virtually guaranteed that I wouldn’t make my connection, and UA proactively protected me on a later IAH-PIT flight. Now that my connection was down to around 14 minutes, I thought there was zero chance of making a run from B to A via the train thing, but to my shock the plane was held and I made it. Hats off to IAH ground crew, we still left IAH early, and my checked bag made the connection as well!
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Had an awesome and surprisingly young crew on Jul 8 HND-SFO that had great hustle doing the J meal service, and one of them was super cheerful (who also a Japanese speaker - Caucasian!)
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Another great experience with "Nancy" from the 1K Desk (does UA still have a call center in Detroit? It looks like that's where my ticket was reissued from)

Jumping from a project in DC today to Memphis tomorrow -- booked DCA-IAH-MEM. My DCA flight went off the rails a few times (3 hour delay, 2 hour delay, on time, 1.5 hour delay) making my connection at best risky, and was SBY for an earlier flight that was full in front and back.

Once it was clear the earlier flight was no bueno, the later flight was muy no bueno, and the line at the DCA UC for rebooking was folding back on itself I figured I just call reservations. As it was clear it was a "weather" issue I figured I was pretty much out of luck. Nancy confirmed that there were no options on UA that would get me to MEM tonight.

I just politely asked if she could take a look at American (Delta being on my no-fly list) she expressed some doubt since "they're in the same boat we are, the entire Eastern seaboard is messed up" but said she'd check -- and she came up with one seat on AA4422, confirmed me, apologized for the inconvenience and thanked me again for my business.

No add collect, no "I'm really not supposed to", no "This is weather so we'll get you there when we get you there", just very efficient, professional, friendly service. Of course I'm bummed that my A fare turned into an aisle on Economy but at least I'm getting where I need to go (fingers crossed)
jsloan, BlueSky72 and FreqFlyerCLE like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.