Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Positive Experiences with UA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2021, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Thanks to the United ground team at LAS, and the UX crew for allowing me to board a flight at least 10 minutes after the door closed. I am certain the plane wasn't waiting for a pleb like me, but I am in appreciation.

I didn't get to the airport until after the end of boarding time. Cleared security, hopped on the tram, and rushed to the gate. I knew if I didn't try, I would have no chance in making the flight.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Thanks to the United ground team at LAS, and the UX crew for allowing me to board a flight at least 10 minutes after the door closed. I am certain the plane wasn't waiting for a pleb like me, but I am in appreciation.

I didn't get to the airport until after the end of boarding time. Cleared security, hopped on the tram, and rushed to the gate. I knew if I didn't try, I would have no chance in making the flight.
So they re-opened the door for you? That is great treatment! Was it last flight of the day?
Old Feb 21, 2021, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
So they re-opened the door for you? That is great treatment! Was it last flight of the day?
Yeah, the GA reopened the door for me. Initially, she instinctively said I will rebook you, then after a few minutes, she asked the agent by the plane door if I can be accommodated.

First flight of the day. I am still on the cleared UG list despite being moved to Y. I don't mind it at all!
Old Feb 21, 2021, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Yeah, the GA reopened the door for me. Initially, she instinctively said I will rebook you, then after a few minutes, she asked the agent by the plane door if I can be accommodated.

First flight of the day. I am still on the cleared UG list despite being moved to Y. I don't mind it at all!
Good deal. Never had that done for me.

Once you get on the upgrade list, you don't come off it as long as you're still on the flight. Watch out that you still get credited for the flight in a couple days.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you work with the crew, they often work with you.

Thanks for sharing.
MatthewLAX and sean5280 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 1:24 pm

Charm and grace go a long way, even when shown by passengers. Glad you had a nice flight to report to us!
jsloan and sean5280 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sean5280
Thought I'd share a very positive experience on a recent DEN-KOA roundtrip on the 767 in Polaris.

For starters, I'm just danged happy to be in the air again. I always bring treats and thank you notes for the crew, especially now with people being so awful to FA's. On the outbound, everyone came up to our seats to personally thank us for the chocolate bars - they were really appreciative.

On the return, many of the odd-numbered seats on the starboard side of the a/c were inoperative. I dunno, guessing a fuse blew or something. Initially bummed since it was a Polaris-equipped a/c and a redeye, lemons became lemonade when the crew showed me the manual controls under my seat cushion and also offered to make any adjustments themselves if I didn't want to. Without a maintenance facility in KOA, what else were they to do, right? I could still set my seat however I wanted, and if I needed help they would've been right there. Again, I'm happy to be in the air, and everyone's doing their best.

Pax behind me wasn't really as kind, lots of "I paid a lot for this seat" and "You need to move someone else so I can have a working seat" and "DYKWIA" stuff. Husband switched from his operating seat to a broken one so we could just get underway.

Purser was genuinely thankful - issued on-the-spot ETCs in a generous amount for us both, and they also offered us first choice on our meals even tho we're only Gold (sorry Plat and 1K and GS if I got your ravioli on that flight.) Water and other beverages were never even near empty, and random snacks from the cart in the back found their way to our side tables throughout our journey.

What could've been a self-made grouchfest turned out to be one of the most enjoyable flights I've taken in a while, and it started with a smile. And now I have an ETC to make a run for the 59 PQP I'm short if I can't requalify for Gold with FttF. Sent a note to customer service; hoping the crew gets a pat on the back for being so good.
Out of curiousity, what days of the week is the DEN-KOA RT running with the 767? And how far out in the schedule is it running?
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Out of curiousity, what days of the week is the DEN-KOA RT running with the 767? And how far out in the schedule is it running?
Looks like they revert back to the 757 on Sunday and all dates going forward. With Europe opening up that is a likely landing spot for the 767. Too bad, nice while it lasted. Back to an OLD tired plane and 16 FC seats. Lovely.

Last edited by bluedemon211; Oct 29, 2021 at 12:08 am
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Appears changes to 752 on 1 Nov 2021 and says that way for next 3-4 months at least
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Appears changes to 752 on 1 Nov 2021 and says that way for next 3-4 months at least
Still better than going to Hawaii on a horrible 737
uanj likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 2:30 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Looks like they revert back to the 757 on Sunday and all dates going forward. With Europe opening up that is a likely landing spot for the 767. Too bad, nice while it lasted. Back to an OLD tired plane and 16 FC seats. Lovely.
While I agree that the 757’s are looking dated, it should be noted that the 767-300’s are of the same vintage. United’s done an *amazing* job with their 767s - you’d never guess they date back to 1992.
uanj and narvik like this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 5:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Reading the title and the post and hitting that button...

Thought I'd share a very positive experience on a recent DEN-KOA roundtrip on the 767 in Polaris <snip>
That's awesome!

...I always bring treats and thank you notes for the crew....
Okay. Sounds pretty nice all around, fantastic!
...digesting post, now reading answers:

When you work with the crew, they often work with you.
Originally Posted by jpezaris
Charm and grace go a long way, even when shown by passengers....
Hmmm.....more digesting...hang on:

....everyone came up to our seats to personally thank us for the chocolate bars - they were really appreciative.
...and then:

....Purser was genuinely thankful - issued on-the-spot ETCs in a generous amount for us both...

I don't know - as much as this reads like a "you-treat-people-right-and-they-will-treat-you-right-in-return" type cutesy story, there's something that bothers me about apparently having to butter up the UA crew first, in order to get good service.

Sorry, must be cynical overload here, before I had my 2nd cup of coffee this morning...I apologize...
benewr likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
Reading the title and the post and hitting that button...

That's awesome!

Okay. Sounds pretty nice all around, fantastic!
...digesting post, now reading answers:

Hmmm.....more digesting...hang on:

...and then:

I don't know - as much as this reads like a "you-treat-people-right-and-they-will-treat-you-right-in-return" type cutesy story, there's something that bothers me about apparently having to butter up the UA crew first, in order to get good service.

Sorry, must be cynical overload here, before I had my 2nd cup of coffee this morning...I apologize...
I see your point about how it can all appear with the gifts, but at least to my experience — mainly being flexible with seat assignments, overhead locker arrangements, etc — it's not so much of quid pro quo / buttering up, and more of putting out the energy you want to get back.
SPN Lifer, narvik and sean5280 like this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I see your point about how it can all appear with the gifts, but at least to my experience — mainly being flexible with seat assignments, overhead locker arrangements, etc — it's not so much of quid pro quo / buttering up, and more of putting out the energy you want to get back.
(bolding mine)

Yeah, I guess. It's just in this case it seemed more like energy bars than just energy!
Old Oct 29, 2021, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
(bolding mine)

Yeah, I guess. It's just in this case it seemed more like energy bars than just energy!
Perhaps that would be working the crew rather than working with the crew.
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.