Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
BTW, you may have missed That seems to squarely address your GS question.
Oh you're right. I missed the part about status. So based on the Dao Report, we can infer the IDB pecking order: It's basically the CPU list in reverse.

For some reason I thought the Report was vaguer than it actually is. As I noted, I hadn't read it since it was published.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I had the option to preemptively volunteer to VDB my flight tonight upon checkin. I put in $2500 as what I would take...will see how that plays out.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I had the option to preemptively volunteer to VDB my flight tonight upon checkin. I put in $2500 as what I would take...will see how that plays out.
Today and tomorrow at GRR... .also many many flights that went out full already, or are oversold seeking volunteers. I'm excited for tomorrow morning, though I did not get prompted at check-in because I'm in first class and that cabin is not oversold. I will have to push them manually at the gate to do it. I know they are looking for 1 already, but if the last seat in F sells, they will need 2.

God luck with the $2500.... what flight? I'm on UA5664 tomorrow morning... let's see what becomes...
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jjmoore
God luck with the $2500.... what flight? I'm on UA5664 tomorrow morning... let's see what becomes...
I'm on UA3476 (EWR-JAX). Delayed 30 minutes and counting already. I put it at such a high number because I think it's the threshold in which my wife will be fine with my flying down the next morning and meeting her (she is in first via RPU and thus also did not get prompted at check-in).

ETA: they weren’t soliciting volunteers at the gate, and I just boarded regularly...so much for that!

ETA x2: GA just came onto the plane and asked for one volunteer at $1k...somebody took that right away...some good-natured grumbling about people needing to collectively hold out. I would have taken it if they had gone higher. People should know by now that UA really doesn’t want to IDB when they oversell...should’ve held out!
jjmoore likes this.

Last edited by PsiFighter37; Mar 29, 2018 at 6:47 pm
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Any FTers get VDB in GRR today? Looks like only 2 UA flights took standbys leaving GRR today... everything else was full with no SBY taken. Tomorrow looks to produce similar results.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:41 am
Original Poster

UA5664 GRR-DEN was over by 2 today.... 2 people failed to check in, and the flight went out even. I was ready to collect a $1000 voucher too. Boo
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
ETA x2: GA just came onto the plane and asked for one volunteer at $1k...somebody took that right away...some good-natured grumbling about people needing to collectively hold out. I would have taken it if they had gone higher. People should know by now that UA really doesn’t want to IDB when they oversell...should’ve held out!
I should think that holding out would only occur at the gate where VDBers can conspire. In fact, it already happened last year (people held out until the 10k max was reached). Of course, a non-party could always jump in and ruin the fun!

Soliciting on the plane is probably ideal from a game theory perspective since it pits everyone against each other, like a real auction. Especially with only one seat needed.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I have to say, I'm impressed with UA's load management in the post-Dao world. Three of my last four fights were showing as full in both first and economy with multiple people on standby (in one case, 10 or more), and the first two went out full with zero volunteers even solicited, let alone needed. (The third flight ended up with a few empty seats after a 2-hour departure delay.)

I had more than two extra days to get to my Easter destination, but no luck with VDB.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
I have to say, I'm impressed with UA's load management in the post-Dao world. Three of my last four fights were showing as full in both first and economy with multiple people on standby (in one case, 10 or more), and the first two went out full with zero volunteers even solicited, let alone needed. (The third flight ended up with a few empty seats after a 2-hour departure delay.)

I had more than two extra days to get to my Easter destination, but no luck with VDB.
Impressed? I have been catfished at DEN twice now, and 'impressed' is not the feeling I was left with!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
UA 624 -- SFO-ORD HD777 -- was looking for 4 volunteers on Easter Sunday. 2 bit at $400 and 2 bit at $500.

What's shocking is people bit despite the GA not offering seats on another flight until 5+ hours later at 4:30PM
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:16 pm
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by rflor
UA 624 -- SFO-ORD HD777 -- was looking for 4 volunteers on Easter Sunday. 2 bit at $400 and 2 bit at $500.

What's shocking is people bit despite the GA not offering seats on another flight until 5+ hours later at 4:30PM
Why is that so shocking? You may be lucky enough to value your time at $100 ph, but I doubt many people do. $500 could get you to London and back from ORD.
BBSHOPSINGER likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I got $700 and a $10 meal voucher on an oversold EWR-ORD flight this past Friday.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I got $700 and a $10 meal voucher on an oversold EWR-ORD flight this past Friday.
Thats a sweet deal, nicely executed
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:14 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by 764toHI
When were you rebooked? And did you get F too?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Can phone agents tell you if your flight is oversold?

I'm set to fly LAX-ORD tomorrow in F. ExpertFlyer shows the flight as F0Y0. Is it likely to be oversold given it's a hub-hub flight? Can I call and ask a phone agent?

I'd be glad to take VDB but would like to know in advance if I should be ready to be flexible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.