Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wooglin
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓

Thought I would start the new thread since we are already 10 days into the new year, and I know it won't be long before I land one.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thanks! I could use a few bumps myself this year (out of ecerts).. Safe Travels.. (
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
I'm already eyeing my 1/30 NRT-IAD and wondering if I'll be able to cash in.....lots of other ways home that night out of Narita (Dreamliner, 747) that I would not be averse to trying out, especially if I have an e-cert in my hot little (e) hands!
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
UA2014 SFO-DEN is over by 5....

No can do as they cannot get me into GRR til tomorrow... No puedo.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by jjmoore
UA2014 SFO-DEN is over by 5....

No can do as they cannot get me into GRR til tomorrow... No puedo.
SFO-ord-mkg?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
SFO-ord-mkg?
SFO-ORD was zeroed out unfortunately. I always try checking Muskegon and Lansing...
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
SFO-ORD was zeroed out unfortunately. I always try checking Muskegon and Lansing...
Did you check SFO-DFW on aa/ua and DFW-GRR on AA?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:35 pm

We actually got bumped on MFE-IAH as part of an MEX-MFE-IAH-DFW award ticket on the 5th. They put us on the AA MFE-DFW non-stop, but with no compensation. I only pushed it a little because my boyfriend was getting sick, they were only over by 1 at the check-in desk and they were willing to move both of us, and this shaved several hours off our trip. Totally worth it as my bf got sicker during the flight and then I saw they took standbys on MFE-IAH, so they probably wouldn't have even needed us.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:04 am

I had had SIN-NRT-ORD-BOS with 7-hour connection at ORD. I had planned to request SDC at NRT United Club (UC) for an earlier ORD-BOS flight which had a few Y seats open. Upon landing at NRT, I was called by the flight attendant to receive a message at United Club. Fortunately it was not bad news. NRT-ORD (operated by a 744) was oversold by 15. The agent at UC asked if I could take NRT-EWR-BOS instead to arrive BOS about 4 hours earlier. I asked about VDB compensation. He said that there was no compensation because I would arrive BOS earlier. I took the offer because I could have power outlet for my laptop to work with on the NRT-EWR flight operated by 772. He booked me into booking class Y for NRT-EWR-BOS upon my request. At the gate, I was op-uped to C because Y was oversold. A solid 7-hour sleep was really good to eliminate jet lag. And the extra PQMs look good to me.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nelumbo
I had had SIN-NRT-ORD-BOS with 7-hour connection at ORD. I had planned to request SDC at NRT United Club (UC) for an earlier ORD-BOS flight which had a few Y seats open. Upon landing at NRT, I was called by the flight attendant to receive a message at United Club. Fortunately it was not bad news. NRT-ORD (operated by a 744) was oversold by 15. The agent at UC asked if I could take NRT-EWR-BOS instead to arrive BOS about 4 hours earlier. I asked about VDB compensation. He said that there was no compensation because I would arrive BOS earlier. I took the offer because I could have power outlet for my laptop to work with on the NRT-EWR flight operated by 772. He booked me into booking class Y for NRT-EWR-BOS upon my request. At the gate, I was op-uped to C because Y was oversold. A solid 7-hour sleep was really good to eliminate jet lag. And the extra PQMs look good to me.
Did they announce an oversale for the NRT-EWR flight and propose compensation? I wonder what it would be, especially in a situation where they are truly over by 15 people (like the NRT-ORD flight).
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:49 pm

Did they announce an oversale for the NRT-EWR flight and propose compensation? I wonder what it would be, especially in a situation where they are truly over by 15 people (like the NRT-ORD flight).
No announcement at all. I learned the oversale when I approached a gate agent to request upgrade by GPU, as I was rebooked in booking class Y. Then she told me to wait when she was processing op-up for me.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Nelumbo
At the gate, I was op-uped to C because Y was oversold.
OP states that Y was oversold. Presumably the whole flight was under since they processed op-ups. Hence, no comp for anyone. Correct me if I'm wrong OP
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA893 SFO-ICN tomorrow is showing booked 100% full and is not for sale in any class. I got the "are you willing to take $400 for another flight?" question at check-in.

I was already considering changing this ticket to travel on different days. Anyone ever succeed in parlaying the oversell into a change fee waiver? Any chance I'll have success trying that with a phone agent?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA893 SFO-ICN tomorrow is showing booked 100% full and is not for sale in any class. I got the "are you willing to take $400 for another flight?" question at check-in.

I was already considering changing this ticket to travel on different days. Anyone ever succeed in parlaying the oversell into a change fee waiver? Any chance I'll have success trying that with a phone agent?
I've received an ETC for the full value on an original ticket (without a change fee haircut) plus another inconvience cert when I volunteered to give up my seat. I was not forced to rebook on same route on the spot.

Note that the ETC for the original value of the ticket shows up in your cancelled reservation tab and you can apply the credit to a future flight.

ETA: My experience with this was with a GA. I would guess that a phone agent would extend the same privilege. Couldn't hurt to ask. Please let us know your outcome.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Ive received an ETC for the full value on an original ticket (without a change fee haircut) plus another inconvience cert when I volunteered to give up my seat. I was not forced to rebook on same route on the spot.
Were you able to do that by phone in advance or was this at the gate? I'd rather not go to the airport tomorrow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.