Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wooglin
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
^ Glad to see this actually happens once in a while.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by transportprof
Did you get $800 credit in total, or was this per pax?
Total. Nearly the first words out of my mouth were, "depends on what the compensation offer is." That elicited a chuckle from the rep.

$800 per person...I couldn't even get that after Christmas when O'Hare had a massive travel waiver and I was offering up my party of 4 as a VDB. Max they offered was $600 pp and no available flights for 48 hours.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rflor
Total. Nearly the first words out of my mouth were, "depends on what the compensation offer is." That elicited a chuckle from the rep.

$800 per person...I couldn't even get that after Christmas when O'Hare had a massive travel waiver and I was offering up my party of 4 as a VDB. Max they offered was $600 pp and no available flights for 48 hours.
So $200 per pax is a bit stingy. I'd have counter offered $250 and seen what the response was. As with most negotiations, the longer you can extend them, the better your chances of coming to a deal are.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

Better data analytics *usually* mitigates the need for massive travel vouchers. I remember the glory days when AA would overbook a 727 by 30 people. They'd end up needing 15 volunteers...and they'd roll them right onto the next 727 overbooked by 30 people 2-3 hours later. It would rain $500-750 vouchers all day at ORD...
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
So $200 per pax is a bit stingy. I'd have counter offered $250 and seen what the response was. As with most negotiations, the longer you can extend them, the better your chances of coming to a deal are.
She started at $100, which was a non-starter for me. As a side note, I was simultaneously trying to search here for precedent to see if $200 was decent or not. Given it's only 2 hours, I'm happy. Otherwise I would have pushed for more.

Last edited by rflor; Mar 14, 2016 at 1:20 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:21 pm

She started at $100, which was a non-starter for me. As a side note, I was simultaneously trying to search here for precedent to see if $200 was decent or not. Given it's only 2 hours, I'm happy. Otherwise I would have pushed for me.
$200 for confirmed E+ seats and no real impact to your plans, I'd say it's fine. They probably got their volunteers...doubt you missed out on a big airport payday by holding out until you got to the gate.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
I got called once as well, and have to say I didn't like how it was handled. I got a message on my voicemail to please call UA concerning my flight tomorrow. Of course, I'm getting worried it was canceled or something like that, so I call and was on hold for 14 minutes, until reaching someone to find out it was a VDB opportunity.

I wish the voicemail would have been more specific so I don't have to waste my time for something I couldn't do anyway due to timing. I know 14 minutes isn't a super long hold time, but that was MY time. United was getting plenty of it the next day.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
She started at $100, which was a non-starter for me. As a side note, I was simultaneously trying to search here for precedent to see if $200 was decent or not. Given it's only 2 hours, I'm happy. Otherwise I would have pushed for more.
Then, good on you for getting UA to double their initial pittance offering! I'd have agreed to that too.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA does this when they have a fairly massive overbooking and pretty much know that they face oversale. They know that they can get people to move for relatively little because there's no delay at the airport.

The agent discretion tends to be limited because UA knows that if it can't deal with the issue in advance, there is still check-in and the gate before an IDB problem arises. That's when the big offers come in, but it's not likely to happen because it's a reverse auction and someone else will have grabbed it.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pinniped
Better data analytics *usually* mitigates the need for massive travel vouchers. I remember the glory days when AA would overbook a 727 by 30 people. They'd end up needing 15 volunteers...and they'd roll them right onto the next 727 overbooked by 30 people 2-3 hours later. It would rain $500-750 vouchers all day at ORD...
Speaking of AA - they gave me 3x $1k vouchers for a equipment change last Dec on DFW-SCL in biz. Changed though MIA and got to SCL earlier
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
OP, the $200/person offer was reasonable. On gate, it is a totally different ball game. GA sometimes starts offering $300 for an hour UAX hop, but no one takes the initial offer. GA then raises the offer to get some volunteers ($400 in my latest encounters; But I did not take it). Happy travels.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
On the phone/ahead of time, they don't go that high. They have a whole plane load of people they can call, and there is a huge convenience factor for being able to go early/get to the airport later/etc., in other words, knowing the outcome.

At the airport, they may have to pay a premium because you're literally inconvenienced by X hours. Worst case, you're killing time in the terminal. Best case, you have United Club access and are downing cheap liquor and Costco hummus while you sit on some ragged chair with a loose power outlet that can barely charge your phone for 2 hours. Taking an advance VDB, there's much less inconvenience, since you just leave your house 2 hours later or whatever.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by channa
Worst case, you're killing time in the terminal. Best case, you have United Club access and are downing cheap liquor and Costco hummus while you sit on some ragged chair with a loose power outlet that can barely charge your phone for 2 hours.
One might argue that killing time in the terminal is the better case outcome than visiting the UC...
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Several times for me too. Accepted once when was no biggie for arrival day activities.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
One might argue that killing time in the terminal is the better case outcome than visiting the UC...
You know when you debate in your mind whether you want to VDB your seat on a CRJ-200 or take a seat on a dirty, crumb-infested seat in the UC.... change may be needed. UA's UC's are in need of some major improvements.

$200 per person was a great deal. I would have hopped on that offer any day as long as I am not at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.