Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
The GA probably thought B and C were playing games.
So what?

I don't understand how anyone can defend the GA here. A had already been accepted as a volunteer. One more was needed. If the GA didn't want to accept B & C together -- for whatever reason -- just say so, and continue to solicit single-traveler volunteers. But no UA agent should ever be tricking someone into giving up compensation, and I don't think anyone should be defending them for doing so.

If I were passenger B, I would have been livid, and I would have started with customer care and continued to write / call / etc. until I got the ETC.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
So what?

I don't understand how anyone can defend the GA here. A had already been accepted as a volunteer. One more was needed. If the GA didn't want to accept B & C together -- for whatever reason -- just say so, and continue to solicit single-traveler volunteers. But no UA agent should ever be tricking someone into giving up compensation, and I don't think anyone should be defending them for doing so.

If I were passenger B, I would have been livid, and I would have started with customer care and continued to write / call / etc. until I got the ETC.
I'm not defending the GA; just speculating on what happened.

I agree about "accept[ing] B & C together," if that's what they had attempted, but it seems like they made separate plays here — i.e., B went up, negotiated comp, and then C went up afterward and tried to score comp for a change C insisted he wanted to make anyway. That's where my "The GA probably thought B and C were playing games" theory originated.

After the GA revoked the comp, Passenger B presumably could have declined the change and boarded. The fact Passenger B didn't suggests B (and C) didn't mind overnighting and might have wanted to do so all along.

As bad as it looks for B here, this strikes me as a fairer outcome than the suggestion by someone else above that the GA should have revoked the comp for Passenger A after B and C decided to give up their seats. And it appears Passenger C screwed B even more than the GA, assuming C was, indeed, insisting he didn't want to fly without B.

Everything else aside, this is an interesting situation since it's not the GA's money and I've never heard a suggestion that such comp impacts GAs in the slightest way.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
In your opinion was the GA devious here and purposefully trying to "trick" the two travelers or did s/he not understand that they were together?

This story is shocking to me.
The GAs were all on the younger side but it was obvious, to me anyway, that B&C, while not on the same PNR, were traveling together to a mutual European destination and had the same itineraries. Their English was also not very good and I'm sure that played a role as well.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AugustusM
The GAs were all on the younger side but it was obvious, to me anyway, that B&C, while not on the same PNR, were traveling together to a mutual European destination and had the same itineraries. Their English was also not very good and I'm sure that played a role as well.
If they're foreigners, that makes me a little more sympathetic to them, although it's possible they're savvy flyers.

I still don't understand the last part of the story:

Second guy still wants a voucher but GA explains they don't need anyone else. He then says he doesn't want to travel alone and asks to be rescheduled for the same flight as his friend. GA makes it clear he gets no comp. He agrees and they change his flight. GA then calls over first guy, who has just finished filling out his info, and tell him due to his friend volunteering to VDB for free they no longer need him to do the same and take his voucher. He is then instructed to get on line.

First guy is obviously not happy and instead decides to overnight with his friend. GA then clears one more standby for free.
If C was only changing to ensure he flew with B, why did the GA instruct B to get back in line to board? Makes no sense.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K

If C was only changing to ensure he flew with B, why did the GA instruct B to get back in line to board? Makes no sense.
That's the part that makes me wonder if the GA fully understood what they were asking to do.

You would have to be pretty bold, IMO, to blatantly mislead someone like this knowing you were going to take back compensation from passenger B. I think C was making a perfectly reasonable request and I find it completely reasonable for the GA to say "fine I will do that as a courtesy to you both, but you will not get compensated additionally for it"... but then to use that as a way around compensation for B takes on a new level of deceit.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:05 pm

The GA was saying that because C took a free VDB that they no longer needed B to VDB and that he was on the flight (technically he was never removed because the voucher remained unfinished with the amount). That's when B asked to VDB as well and fly the next day with C.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:25 pm
Suspended

The GA was saying that because C took a free VDB that they no longer needed B to VDB and that he was on the flight (technically he was never removed because the voucher remained unfinished with the amount). That's when B asked to VDB as well and fly the next day with C.
No, that's just it: According to your original post, C only wanted to VDB/change flights so that C could fly with B. If B was back on the original flight, then C would have been, too.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:15 pm

No, that's just it: According to your original post, C only wanted to VDB/change flights so that C could fly with B. If B was back on the original flight, then C would have been, too.
C was moved to the next day with no comp, B wasn't as he was filling out a voucher, once C was moved they called B back over and told him his services were no longer required. I'm fairly certain C was under the impression that B was moved which is why he was looking to join him. He kept saying, 'Put me on the flight he's getting' (paraphrasing).
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:24 pm
Suspended

C was moved to the next day with no comp, B wasn't as he was filling out a voucher, once C was moved they called B back over and told him his services were no longer required. I'm fairly certain C was under the impression that B was moved which is why he was looking to join him. He kept saying, 'Put me on the flight he's getting' (paraphrasing).
Right, that's what makes no sense here. If C told the GA that he absolutely wanted/needed to fly with B, then it makes no sense that the GA would change C's flight and then tell B to board the original flight. Either there were different GAs involved or something is missing from the story.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:28 pm

It sounds like one of two things happened:

(1) Gate Agent knowingly screwed these guys, by pulling a fast one

(2) Gate Agent didn't understand they were travelling together, or OP didn't understand what happened exactly, or the story has otherwise gotten muddled in its journey from the pax's interaction with the GA to this thread.

Based on my experiences with Gate Agents over the years, I'm going to guess it was #2 .
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Right. If the GA was really this cutthroat, he or she would have told Passenger A that he wasn't needed and further saved United the $1,000 voucher. But that's not what happened, so it seems more likely that there's more to the story here vis-a-vis Pax B and C.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
It seems to me were not going to solve it in this thread. May I suggest back to business as usual
jjmoore likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:16 pm

Right, that's what makes no sense here. If C told the GA that he absolutely wanted/needed to fly with B, then it makes no sense that the GA would change C's flight and then tell B to board the original flight. Either there were different GAs involved or something is missing from the story.
Nothing missing. There were 4 people at the podium when this occurred. The one GA that was doing most of the talking, another who was adding her input to this and then the 4th was a supervisor who came over at the end and confirmed that there would be no comp for B and he could either get on the plane or fly the next day with C. I have no idea if they were intentionally scamming them or not but the end result was neither of them got on the plane and neither of them got a comp.

One thing I didn't mention earlier is the pilot came out twice to get them to start boarding as we had already been delayed and he was concerned about ATC issues at EWR. The second time the GA said that they were trying to 'sort this out' and then asked C to make up his mind what he wanted to do, that's when this all went down.

Last edited by AugustusM; Jun 6, 2018 at 6:22 pm
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Right. If the GA was really this cutthroat, he or she would have told Passenger A that he wasn't needed and further saved United the $1,000 voucher. But that's not what happened, so it seems more likely that there's more to the story here vis-a-vis Pax B and C.
A is out of the story by this point. S/he has their comp and is (presumably) making their way to the hotel to overnight.

Ive got to believe GA never fully understood, and perhaps B and C never really did either. Else, I agree, it’s a different level of cutthroat - and another GA plus super had to have approved it by staying silent.

Unfortunate for those guys though.

Not sure why people wish to stop this discussion, by far the most enjoyable story on FT in months.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Nothing missing. There were 4 people at the podium when this occurred. The one GA that was doing most of the talking, another who was adding her input to this and then the 4th was a supervisor who came over at the end and confirmed that there would be no comp for B and he could either get on the plane or fly the next day with C. I have no idea if they were intentionally scamming them or not but the end result was neither of them got on the plane and neither of them got a comp.
This makes it even more weird. Two GAs plus a supervisor heard Passenger C insist that he wanted/needed to travel with Passenger B, so they changed Passenger C's flight and then ... told Passenger B to board the original flight with no comp?

Unless there's an epidemic of short-term memory loss among United GAs at CVG, that makes no sense at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.