Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Were the $800 vouchers USD or CAD? I'm just curious if Canada origins generate CAD or USD bump vouchers. At least they generated a CAD$ meal voucher

-RM
US$800, not CAN. I believe all UA VDB vouchers are issued in USD, not local currency. Meal vouchers were issued in CAN, in parentheses, equivalent in USD
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:31 pm

UA535 SFO-EWR 11:35am today, E+. GA asked for one volunteer @$700 voucher + Business seat on the 6am tomorrow. I had the flexibility, and having recently reached Plat was right in front of her in BG1, so a nod was all it took. A couple more hopefuls queued up behind me, so I didn't haggle. A quick Uber home and I'm enjoying the balmy SF afternoon.

Question: I'm considering SDCing to the 11:35am tomorrow. That shows as an option via the app, which only displays open Business seats for the change - is there any reason the SDC wouldn't go through?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mehitabel
UA535 SFO-EWR 11:35am today, E+. GA asked for one volunteer @$700 voucher + Business seat on the 6am tomorrow. I had the flexibility, and having recently reached Plat was right in front of her in BG1, so a nod was all it took. A couple more hopefuls queued up behind me, so I didn't haggle. A quick Uber home and I'm enjoying the balmy SF afternoon. ...
Nice score

Question: I'm considering SDCing to the 11:35am tomorrow. That shows as an option via the app, which only displays open Business seats for the change - is there any reason the SDC wouldn't go through?
Go for it, if offered, it should work and no getting up before dawn. What's your new fare class?

Flexibility is the friend of the VDBer.
mehitabel likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:03 pm

Nice score

Go for it, if offered, it should work and no getting up before dawn. What's your new fare class?

Flexibility is the friend of the VDBer.
Done, though the 11:35 was no longer available so went with the 2:37pm. Fare class is J
jsloan, AeRoSpaceman and jjmoore like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Done, though the 11:35 was no longer available so went with the 2:37pm. Fare class is J
J gets you 300% PQM. ~7600 or so. Nice!

Looks like your flight UA2044 is in pretty rough shape today as well... will you try for a double-dip?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 26, 2018 at 1:48 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
J gets you 300% PQM. ~7600 or so. Nice!

Looks like your flight UA2044 is in pretty rough shape today as well... will you try for a double-dip?
Ha, good catch. It IS in rough shape - in the UC club now crying into my coffee. Looks like half the flights going through EWR are delayed - the 11:35am just announced boarding, 2.5 hours late. UC help desk fielding a long line of pax in similar high dudgeon. They even checked other carriers into JFK, but everything full up this aft and into the evening.

Suggestions? What kind of double dip would you advise? Right now I'm just hunkering down and getting some work done, viewing it as a redeye and being thankful for the lie-flat. But I don't have much faith in the estimated 7:30pm(!) departure (as if that weren't bad enough.) Any coaching welcome

Btw: NO advance notification from UA. Plane coming from EWR - so they must have known in advance. Per the app it actually departed EWR at 4pm and is due SFO at 7:17pm, so I'm guessing we'll actually dep 7:45-8pm. Grrrrr.

Last edited by mehitabel; Aug 26, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Ha, good catch. It IS in rough shape - in the UC club now crying into my coffee. Looks like half the flights going through EWR are delayed - the 11:35am just announced boarding, 2.5 hours late. UC help desk fielding a long line of pax in similar high dudgeon. They even checked other carriers into JFK, but everything full up this aft and into the evening.

Suggestions? What kind of double dip would you advise? Right now I'm just hunkering down and getting some work done, viewing it as a redeye and being thankful for the lie-flat. But I don't have much faith in the estimated 7:30pm(!) departure (as if that weren't bad enough.) Any coaching welcome

Btw: NO advance notification from UA. Plane coming from EWR - so they must have known in advance. Per the app it actually departed EWR at 4pm and is due SFO at 7:17pm, so I'm guessing we'll actually dep 7:45-8pm. Grrrrr.
My guess would be ATC in EWR... they likely changed aircraft logistics and utilized your aircraft for another flight that was likely impacted by inbounds.... hard to say for sure. Yeah... what a mess. I just left SFO an hour ago and saw the mess on the boards.

Looks like they finally got you out... red eye flight in J is not a bad deal..... 5 hours late stinks though. At least you aren't on the 11:35am flight, which is delayed til 9pm because of ATC + mx now. LOL
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore
My guess would be ATC in EWR... they likely changed aircraft logistics and utilized your aircraft for another flight that was likely impacted by inbounds.... hard to say for sure. Yeah... what a mess. I just left SFO an hour ago and saw the mess on the boards.

Looks like they finally got you out... red eye flight in J is not a bad deal..... 5 hours late stinks though. At least you aren't on the 11:35am flight, which is delayed til 9pm because of ATC + mx now. LOL
Just to close out this conversation, yes, my 2:37pm left SFO ~8pm, and yes, the 11:35am actually left SFO ~9PM (after returning to gate from the runway TWICE), so my delay was ultimately shorter. Also yes, I got 7695 PQM and 1.5 PQS, plus, in the end, a $175 comp e-cert for the delay. So, to stay on VDB topic, I netted $875 plus J on a p.s. red eye. And no, I'm not complaining
jsloan, BThumme and jjmoore like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titan., Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres
9/14 BHM-ORD. Board as normal and ready to push when the GA comes down and sheepishly says we’re +1. $2,000. I’m in downtown Birmingham celebrating and searching for R>1 for an anniversary trip.
jsloan, jjmoore, zeer0 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:46 pm

Is there a way to proactively sign up for VDB? Or is it only when the gate agents make an announcement?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by walkertalk322
Is there a way to proactively sign up for VDB? Or is it only when the gate agents make an announcement?
You'll often be prompted to volunteer on the app, during online check in, or at the kiosk. However, doing so just puts your name on an interest list; you'd still want to check with the agent, preferably as soon as the gate is staffed.

Generally, I ask about an oversale situation any time it looks promising (F0Y0 a day or two before the flight is often a good indicator, as is the kiosk prompt). I never wait for the announcement, as it's much better to be proactive than to be part of a mad rush up to the gate.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by walkertalk322
Proactively no
Sometimes UA will ask for your interest before traveling, generally at check-in but occasionally even earlier (pretty rare).

Proactive would not make sense since there is no need for creating a list for most flights. But when UA thinks there is a chance, it will let you know.

However, if you think the flight is oversold and you haven't seen a request, you can ask the GA.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
You'll often be prompted to volunteer on the app, during online check in, or at the kiosk. However, doing so just puts your name on an interest list; you'd still want to check with the agent, preferably as soon as the gate is staffed.

Generally, I ask about an oversale situation any time it looks promising (F0Y0 a day or two before the flight is often a good indicator, as is the kiosk prompt). I never wait for the announcement, as it's much better to be proactive than to be part of a mad rush up to the gate.
Proactively no
Sometimes UA will ask for your interest before traveling, generally at check-in but occasionally even earlier (pretty rare).

Proactive would not make sense since there is no need for creating a list for most flights. But when UA thinks there is a chance, it will let you know.

However, if you think the flight is oversold and you haven't seen a request, you can ask the GA.
The UA app is by far the easiest way to check before arriving at the gate. From what I know, they still keep a list, and that list is prioritized by whoever gets on it first, and this is how the GA will start calling people up if nobody is proactive enough to be there at the podium asking. You can continually check on the app by going to "travel options" for your checked-in reservation, and clicking on "view boarding pass options" ... the moment that flight ends up in oversale (or one of the multiple flights on your itinerary), you will be prompted right there. At 24 hours, they sometimes don't prompt, but the flight oversells within that time, so I always check back when I suspect this is the case so I can get on the list if true.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:28 am

Got it. Thank you!
Proactively no

thanks!
Originally Posted by jsloan

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 15, 2018 at 11:38 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:07 am
Original Poster

UA 5375 DEN-FAT over by 1 today.... everyone showed and I took $500 to fly to SJC. Only arriving at my final location 2hr late.... not bad.... though I should have put in for more as I was the o ly person on the vol list.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.