Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
UA 5375 DEN-FAT over by 1 today.... everyone showed and I took $500 to fly to SJC. Only arriving at my final location 2hr late.... not bad.... though I should have put in for more as I was the o ly person on the vol list.
For what it's worth, a couple of weeks ago on an IAH-DTW leg, I volunteered and put $200, the lowest amount. When I got to the gate to ask, she said "oh, I would do much more then that" referring to the $200. So I don't even think the amount means much on what you enter, with the exception of some hourly routes.

My thought process is that it gives me some priority in a list, if that exists, and also I can always play dumb and say "well I thought the next flight would an hour later, not 3.5" and then renegotiate.

At the end of the day though it all comes down to whatever the gate agent wants to give out. You could have tried for 800, I don't know how that works (I'm guessing the GA would have started asking for volunteers for 500 first before going to 800). All that would indicate is that the GA wouldn't have to offer more the 800. Or not, who knows.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had a weird one today on CVG-ORD. Apparently they had some in-op seats reported on an inbound where they were trying to do a quick turn.

They decided to begin boarding anyway, so it was chaotic. Still, I asked if they needed a volunteer, and the GA said yes, and her colleague was going to handle it, but the current offer was $700. Her colleague arrived, and I said I’d volunteer if I could be put onto an AA flight that evening (there weren’t any other UA flights to my destination). She looked at me like I’d insulted her mother or something and said told me that they couldn’t rebook me on another airline. I said something like “you can for a mechanical,*” and she still refused. I stepped away from the counter, and she told me, impatiently, to board, wherein I said I was waiting to see if she’d change her mind. She gave me another nasty look, turned to the other agent, said “announce it again; increase it to $1000,” and somebody walked up and volunteered.

So, $1000 + a hotel voucher is somehow a better deal in her mind than $700 + an AA flight....

I boarded at that point, so I don’t know if they ended up needing a seat or not (the quick volunteer boarded the flight after me, but there may have been other volunteers waiting; I don’t know). I hope she’s proud of the great savings she accomplished for UA.

* They can for a non-mechanical as well, but I admit I was caught off-guard by her refusal; while they’d rather rebook on UA, obviously, this is the first time I’ve ever been refused. Generally, they appreciate having somebody volunteer.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
So, $1000 + a hotel voucher is somehow a better deal in her mind than $700 + an AA flight....
Probably is, though, isn't it? The AA flight would cost UA a lot more immediate cash out of pocket than the hotel voucher.

(The GA's snippy attitude, obviously, was uncalled for.)
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Probably is, though, isn't it? The AA flight would cost UA a lot more immediate cash out of pocket than the hotel voucher.
When airlines reconcile tickets moved to an OAL, they do so at a greatly discounted rate. I don’t know what rate they discount the extra $300 worth of ETC, but I’m pretty confident they’d have come out ahead by taking my offer.

Now, if two pax volunteered, and one needed OAL and one didn’t, then it’s a no-brainer. But I don’t get increasing the voucher amount to find another one.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:45 pm
Suspended

When airlines reconcile tickets moved to an OAL, they do so at a greatly discounted rate. I don’t know what rate they discount the extra $300 worth of ETC, but I’m pretty confident they’d have come out ahead by taking my offer.

Now, if two pax volunteered, and one needed OAL and one didn’t, then it’s a no-brainer. But I don’t get increasing the voucher amount to find another one.
Last-minute CVG-ORD is a lot cheaper than I would have guessed, but if the claimed breakage rates I've seen for ETCs are anywhere near accurate, I'd bet United came out ahead doing what it did.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
United pays an industry rate that's not much above cost. Last year, I had to fly to ROA, and was booked BOS-IAD-ROA. The normal cash price is ~$300 one way. But, United's inbound aircraft cancelled, so I had them put me on American. American's last minute price for BOS-CLT-ROA was over $600. United paid American $125 based on the EQD I earned by crediting the rebooked flights to American (fare class was Y on American).
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:34 pm
Suspended

... plus the taxes and non-carrier fees, one assumes.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... plus the taxes and non-carrier fees, one assumes.
UA would already have collected those from me, so they’d have just remitted those anyway.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:05 pm
Suspended

UA would already have collected those from me, so they’d have just remitted those anyway.
True, but that's also true of the whole fare paid. If airlines truly give each other such a deep discount, there'd be an arbitrage opportunity. One assumes airlines are expected to use these reciprocal agreements only when absolutely necessary.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True, but that's also true of the whole fare paid. If airlines truly give each other such a deep discount, there'd be an arbitrage opportunity. One assumes airlines are expected to use these reciprocal agreements only when absolutely necessary.
They do give each other that kind of discount, and it is subject to arbitrage, and, in fact, AA was essentially doing exactly that, relying on DL to paper over their lousy operations. DL's response was to request a much higher reimbursement rate from AA, AA refused to sign the contract, and (for a while, anyway), DL and AA reused to transport each others' customers. That's how the "only when absolutely necessary" part is enforced.

BTW: I should walk back at least part of my criticism. I was actually connecting to AUS, which limited my options; it turns out that there was one later UA flight to ORD today than the one I was on, and that flight didn't go out full. So, if the other volunteer was terminating at ORD, or was going to some other destination where there was a later connecting flight out of ORD, then the decision would make sense -- $300 in extra UA funny-money is likely less expensive than buying me a ticket from AA. And if the agent had told me, "Sorry, but I need to wait and see if there's somebody who can make use of the later Chicago flight," I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

Anyway, TL/DR: apparently we don't always have as much leverage as we'd like in VDB situations (although this refusal is still the exception, not the rule).
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I should walk back at least part of my criticism.
Not so sure about that. The GA was out of line and I seriously doubt she was performing mental arithmetic to figure out which deal was better for her employer. To the contrary, most likely she was too lazy to push your ticket to AA and was willing to spend more of UA's money in lieu of doing extra work herself. In any event, she should have said "thank you, go ahead and board we'll let you know if we need your seat" rather than lie to you. This sounds like one of those bad apples that causes UA to have such a poor reputation for cs.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not so sure about that. The GA was out of line and I seriously doubt she was performing mental arithmetic to figure out which deal was better for her employer. To the contrary, most likely she was too lazy to push your ticket to AA and was willing to spend more of UA's money in lieu of doing extra work herself. In any event, she should have said "thank you, go ahead and board we'll let you know if we need your seat" rather than lie to you. This sounds like one of those bad apples that causes UA to have such a poor reputation for cs.
I don't know if she's a bad apple or not. For all I know, I'm the spitting image of her ex-fiancé who left her at the altar in favor of her best friend. (I didn't see her interact with anyone else, so I really only have a single data point). I rarely get bad service from UA -- or anybody else, for that matter.

But, yes, it certainly could have been handled better; my point was just that if you take the rudeness out of the equation, her decision makes more sense than I thought when I wrote my initial post, at which time I didn't think there were any further westbound flights from CVG that evening -- I could see prioritizing a volunteer who could fly UA the same day over someone who needed to be pushed to AA, even if you have to bump up a compensation level. It was the forced overnight that I'd (wrongly) thought was required that made me think she was being completely ridiculous (again, rudeness aside).
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by diburning
United pays an industry rate that's not much above cost. Last year, I had to fly to ROA, and was booked BOS-IAD-ROA. The normal cash price is ~$300 one way. But, United's inbound aircraft cancelled, so I had them put me on American. American's last minute price for BOS-CLT-ROA was over $600. United paid American $125 based on the EQD I earned by crediting the rebooked flights to American (fare class was Y on American).
Pardon my ignorance, but what was the process for crediting American for your United purchased itinerary?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by plinth857
Pardon my ignorance, but what was the process for crediting American for your United purchased itinerary?
Adding one's AA number at the gate before the first AA segment, or submitting the "request mileage credit" form after the fact.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
When I called United to rebook me on American, they gave me the American PNR so that I could check in. I added my FF# on the website when viewing the PNR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.