Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:20 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I'm especially interested in your case to see if you get Y posting.. though with $0 base fare on the original ticket, I'm wondering if the new UA system will automatically populate X/XN for any base fare of $0.... who knows is this could happen in your situation.

I have also seen in the past that my base fare gets screwed up in irrops / rebooking situations, and I have received way more PQD's than originally paid on reservations that get messed up.......

Let us know what happens.
So yes to HH points and no to UA miles is the final verdict. I can't complain in any case. I still have a $2000 voucher to make my own PQM/PQDs. Hopefully, a good mistake fare will come along soon.
jsloan, jjmoore, FlyngSvyr and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA, Hilton
UIO-IAH

They were unable to run the flight the night before because of technical problems. Because there is only one United flight from Quito to Houston per day they were around 20 people on standby. Started at $500 with a call from a United representative 8 hours before the flight was schedule to depart. At the gate it was elevated to $1000. Eventually went to $2000. Then $2500. The last person who accepted (from the plane) received $3000 and so everyone who was bumped received $3000, hotel/food, and 24 more hours in Quito!
Billiken and uxb like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rahnerian
They were unable to run the flight the night before because of technical problems. Because there is only one United flight from Quito to Houston per day they were around 20 people on standby. Started at $500 with a call from a United representative 8 hours before the flight was schedule to depart. At the gate it was elevated to $1000. Eventually went to $2000. Then $2500. The last person who accepted (from the plane) received $3000 and so everyone who was bumped received $3000, hotel/food, and 24 more hours in Quito!
Welcome to FT! That's a great result. ^

FYI: UA will not give vouchers to people to accommodate standby passengers. Someone in management must have approved an unusually large number of oversold seats, likely as a way to let the service disruption sort itself out somewhat.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
STL-ORD, 5-AUG 4:50PM flight.

Checkin asked if we wanted to be on the vollie list, we said yes at $300. When we got to the gate, they were asking for 1 volunteer, $500. I approached and before I said anything it went to $600. I said, we'd take the $600, but, you need to VDB both my wife and I. I told them if they wanted to give us each $300 to make it work, that would be OK. What I didn't realize is they already had one vollie at $500 who was psyched because she was going to get a direct flight to her destination, getting in sooner. As it turns out, they told her thanks, but no thanks, put her on the plane and then VDB'd my wife and I, $600 each, Marriott St. Louis for the night, $40 in food vouchers, and we'd get into Boston at 12:46PM (about 11 hours later than original schedule).

All hell broke loose when we got to Chicago we ended up spending most of Monday in ORD, made it the first time we questioned if it was worth it.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by PATRLR

Checkin asked if we wanted to be on the vollie list, we said yes at $300. When we got to the gate, they were asking for 1 volunteer, $500. I approached and before I said anything it went to $600. I said, we'd take the $600, but, you need to VDB both my wife and I. I told them if they wanted to give us each $300 to make it work, that would be OK. What I didn't realize is they already had one vollie at $500 who was psyched because she was going to get a direct flight to her destination, getting in sooner. As it turns out, they told her thanks, but no thanks, put her on the plane and then VDB'd my wife and I, $600 each, Marriott St. Louis for the night, $40 in food vouchers, and we'd get into Boston at 12:46PM (about 11 hours later than original schedule).

All hell broke loose when we got to Chicago we ended up spending most of Monday in ORD, made it the first time we questioned if it was worth it.
Was ORD your final destination? If not, it is always a gamble what happens at next connecting airport.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:33 am

Sounds like BOS was final dest.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓

If any of the connection irrops in ORD were due to mx, I would argue writing in for some additional compensation.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Was ORD your final destination? If not, it is always a gamble what happens at next connecting airport.
BOS was the final. Yep, always know there is a risk on the connection.

Originally Posted by jjmoore
If any of the connection irrops in ORD were due to mx, I would argue writing in for some additional compensation.
No, weather on the East Coast. There were a handful of cancelled flights at ORD yesterday.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold

This is strange. They had the one needed volunteer at $500, but turned her away so they could give you and your wife $600 each, plus hotel and meals? (And why would it have gone to $600 if they already had the one volunteer they needed at $500?)
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
This is strange. They had the one needed volunteer at $500, but turned her away so they could give you and your wife $600 each, plus hotel and meals? (And why would it have gone to $600 if they already had the one volunteer they needed at $500?)
It seems that they needed two volunteers total.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
They needed 2 total. They had 1 at $500 and were asking for 1 more when we arrived at the gate. I approached and said we'd volunteer, but had to take both of us.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
They needed 2 total. They had 1 at $500 and were asking for 1 more when we arrived at the gate. I approached and said we'd volunteer, but had to take both of us.
This was a very easy decision for the GA... take party of 2 willing to go when 2 seats needed vs. taking the first person to come and having to split the party of 2 (risky as they may opt out in the end and create a nightmare scenario for the GA).

I've seen this happen before in the past... sometimes the proactive ones get unlucky in these instances.... all part of the game though.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I agree, but it wasn't clear in the OP that they actually needed two.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
2 x $800 VDB voucher and Canadian $14 meal voucher for a 2:54 delay

Tried to SDC to an earlier flight yesterday. Except for first 6 am flight, all 4 UA YVR-SFO flights were unavailable. Which was quite unusual, must be cruise season. Did not attempt to SDC. Showed up 2 hours before flight time. Volunteered at kiosk.

At T-60, asked a gate agent, there were five of them instead of normal two, if there were still looking for volunteers. Immediately a more experienced looking agent replied yes, and asked if we had any check-in luggage which we did not have. She said that was the best. She then showed me available WestJet flight on her screen, departing 2:54 later. I asked for last UA flight, she said she would but that flight was over sold also. I then asked her how much was compensation. She replied $800, from the way she said it, I interpreted $800 for each one of us, not $800 for two of us. She asked me to go to the other end of counter so a less experienced looking agent would process our VDB.

I was standing next to less experienced agent while she processed us, I saw five volunteers, we were #1 and #2 volunteers. She followed steps and selected our scheduled delay arrival time. $400 popped up. I informed 2nd agent that 1st agent told us $800/PAX. #2 agent confirmed with #1 agent, then some more typing. I asked for meal vouchers because it was close to dinner time. #2 agent again asked #1 agent.

About ten minutes later, we each received an $800 VDB voucher and $14 Canadian meal voucher. Best VDB for me so far.

During all that time and until our original flight had boarded, did not hear any announcement for additional volunteers.
Flying Machine, BThumme and ajGoes like this.

Last edited by 1KChinito; Aug 21, 2018 at 3:14 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
About ten minutes later, we each received an $800 VDB voucher and $14 Canadian meal voucher. Best VDB for me so far.
Were the $800 vouchers USD or CAD? I'm just curious if Canada origins generate CAD or USD bump vouchers. At least they generated a CAD$ meal voucher

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.