FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:09 pm
1KChinito

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
2 x $800 VDB voucher and Canadian $14 meal voucher for a 2:54 delay

Tried to SDC to an earlier flight yesterday. Except for first 6 am flight, all 4 UA YVR-SFO flights were unavailable. Which was quite unusual, must be cruise season. Did not attempt to SDC. Showed up 2 hours before flight time. Volunteered at kiosk.

At T-60, asked a gate agent, there were five of them instead of normal two, if there were still looking for volunteers. Immediately a more experienced looking agent replied yes, and asked if we had any check-in luggage which we did not have. She said that was the best. She then showed me available WestJet flight on her screen, departing 2:54 later. I asked for last UA flight, she said she would but that flight was over sold also. I then asked her how much was compensation. She replied $800, from the way she said it, I interpreted $800 for each one of us, not $800 for two of us. She asked me to go to the other end of counter so a less experienced looking agent would process our VDB.

I was standing next to less experienced agent while she processed us, I saw five volunteers, we were #1 and #2 volunteers. She followed steps and selected our scheduled delay arrival time. $400 popped up. I informed 2nd agent that 1st agent told us $800/PAX. #2 agent confirmed with #1 agent, then some more typing. I asked for meal vouchers because it was close to dinner time. #2 agent again asked #1 agent.

About ten minutes later, we each received an $800 VDB voucher and $14 Canadian meal voucher. Best VDB for me so far.

During all that time and until our original flight had boarded, did not hear any announcement for additional volunteers.

Last edited by 1KChinito; Aug 21, 2018 at 3:14 pm