Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
OMA ---> EWR nonstop on 12/29, united express flying small embraer 145. needed one.

offered $350 at gate. no takers. upped to $400, then $500. then $600. then $800.

two people approach, but decline when they hear the next flight would be midday the next day with a connection. i'm sitting adjacent to the gate with mrs. stages, who really wants to go home, but says it's OK if i stay another night. i say i'll volunteer at $1200, which was my prediction for where this was headed. i hated to give up my exit row seat, which is one of the few bearable seats on this unbearable aircraft... but, hey... for $1200, they can have it.

they jump from $800 to $1000 and add a hotel... and somebody bites. they process her paperwork and the plane boards. twenty minutes later, i see her coming down the aisle, as one of the last people to board. apparently her seat was not needed.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Went ahead and started the 2019 thread...

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

let's keep this one open for another week in case there are some straggler posts to hit the 2018 thread.

Happy New Year, everyone!!!
Flying Machine likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 2, 2019 at 11:35 pm Reason: cleanup per OP's request

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.