Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]

Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓

Time for the new thread. Happy new year! Happy bumping.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: United Platinum
SFO - EWR

Did a SDC from 12:30 to 10:10 to push through an RPU.

10:10 oversold by 2, offering $500 voucher. I volunteered with the condition that I want to stay in BF.

Confirmed on the 11:10 in BF, then the 10:10 was delayed due to late arriving aircraft so it only beat me to EWR by 30 minutes or so
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kryssa
SFO - EWR

Did a SDC from 12:30 to 10:10 to push through an RPU.

10:10 oversold by 2, offering $500 voucher. I volunteered with the condition that I want to stay in BF.

Confirmed on the 11:10 in BF, then the 10:10 was delayed due to late arriving aircraft so it only beat me to EWR by 30 minutes or so
Nicely done
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:25 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Kryssa
SFO - EWR. Did a SDC from 12:30 to 10:10 to push through an RPU.
How did a flight go from allowing SDC to over by 2?? Did you make the change the day before, and something weather happened in SFO?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by TA
How did a flight go from allowing SDC to over by 2?? Did you make the change the day before, and something weather happened in SFO?
I've seen this on a few flights. I'm allowed to SDC 24 hours in advance, then day of, the flight is zeroed out and overbooked.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by TA
Not sure - I saw the R availability and called almost exactly 24 hours out from my original flight, so about 22 hours went by before he oversold situation.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by TA
Between t=24h and t=2h, many things can happen, especially if irrops are in the picture. A half empty flight at 24hr can quickly fill up if flights cancel. GS overrides can easily put a flight into oversale. Every flight generally has a certain number of oversales allowed... in many cases 1 seat... on others, though (such as on hub-to-hub), there can be 3-4 ... or even 6 oversales (seen this on the last flight going ORD-DEN quite frequently in this situation).

Many factors play into the end-game... but these are a couple causes.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA1K
i had this happen last month. SDCd DEN-LAX to DEN-SMF-LAX and SMF-LAX filled up real fast after i switched.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
LAS-LAX tonight overbooked by 2.

I was headed LAS-LAX-CLE anyway, and had a Frontier $19 one-way LAS-CLE already booked as a backup in case I missed the UA flight.

Offered $300. Took it, then walked to the other end of D terminal and got onboard the F9 flight

Last edited by Wooglin; Jan 8, 2017 at 11:03 pm
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wooglin
LAS-LAX tonight overbooked by 2.

I was headed LAS-LAX-CLE anyway, and had a Frontier $19 one-way LAS-CLE already booked as a backup in case I missed the UA flight.

Offered $300. Took it, then walked to the other end of D terminal and got onboard the F9 flight
Nice! More astonished at the price of that F9 ticket.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Nice! More astonished at the price of that F9 ticket.
Yeah it was a two-day sale they had Jan 2-4, for select travel through mid-Feb. Needed to be back to CLE by 7am at the latest, so I considered it a $19 insurance policy if my other routing was delayed, or I was just late to the airport with all the extra traffic/pax from CES this week.

Had to pay $35 to check bag I was carrying on, but still- ahead.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Thursday 1/5 they were offering $150 for the last IAD-PHL flight of the night. Pretty weak for what would have been an overnight. I steered clear.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Thursday 1/5 they were offering $150 for the last IAD-PHL flight of the night. Pretty weak for what would have been an overnight. I steered clear.
First offer doesn't mean final offer! I volunteered on LAX-SFO last night for what was going to be an overnight. They offered $150. I walked, but told them to let me know if they were willing to go higher. Less than a minute later they paged me and upped it to $300.

In the end they had a mis-connected and didn't need anyone.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
EWR-DFW today $400 for a later flight. Not sure why this & other flights today got packed so quickly - 2 weeks ago the flights were half-full; today most of them full. I took it - asked if I could get more $ but was denied - didn't want to push my luck.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Cargojon
There are definitely some terrible offers out there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.