Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by diburning
Since the voucher has a set validity and can expire, I'd imagine that it would be considered a coupon. It's more like a "store credit" than anything else. If you complained to the airline (lets say, the wifi wasn't working), and they throw you a voucher. Is that taxable? I don't think so, but IANAL.
It's not like a store credit, it is literally a store credit. It's not a prize in a raffle drawing (that would be taxable); it's a travel credit they gave you in exchange for the inconvenience of being bumped (possibly real $$cost to yourself as well, if not, well then good for you). While $10k is well over what would be considered reasonable, I really doubt the IRS cares about a one-off situation like this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by diburning
Since the voucher has a set validity and can expire, I'd imagine that it would be considered a coupon. It's more like a "store credit" than anything else. If you complained to the airline (lets say, the wifi wasn't working), and they throw you a voucher. Is that taxable? I don't think so, but IANAL.
I have received $15,000 worth of vouchers over the last 8 or 9 years... never once received a tax burden from them. They are coupons... credits... no true cash value (unlike when a game show contestant wins a car, which does have declared cash value, which can be turned immediately into liquid), and can only be used to purchase tickets on UA metal. Additionally, if you try to turn these into cash by selling them, that will forfeit your right to the voucher as this is against UA's rules.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I have received $15,000 worth of vouchers over the last 8 or 9 years... never once received a tax burden from them. They are coupons... credits... no true cash value (unlike when a game show contestant wins a car, which does have declared cash value, which can be turned immediately into liquid), and can only be used to purchase tickets on UA metal. Additionally, if you try to turn these into cash by selling them, that will forfeit your right to the voucher as this is against UA's rules.
Wouldn't that be a hoot if this this lady somehow thought she could sell the residual value from her voucher to someone else. I can see it now. 8 months down the road there is another news story with her complaining about her MP account being closed for voucher fraud.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Doesn't seem "very nice" when they aren't happy about VDB comp for an IDB.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
I'm sure they did this wrong -- first picking the passenger to deboard and then being forced to compensate her for what she would take quietly. I'm sure if they had come onboard and offered, say, $5,000, or even $2,000, they'd have gotten people sprinting for the door.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
I'm sure they did this wrong -- first picking the passenger to deboard and then being forced to compensate her for what she would take quietly. I'm sure if they had come onboard and offered, say, $5,000, or even $2,000, they'd have gotten people sprinting for the door.
I would have taken the $2,000. There are enough of us with some flexibility in our schedule who could make that work.
jjmoore and zeer0 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Plat
Still an IDB

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
I don't think UA did it wrong per se. It's a pretty complicated story.

Many here seem to think it's an IDB that turned into a VDB. But I don't think the 10k bribe undos the IDB. You can't unring that bell. I would posit that the moment they pulled her out of line it became an IDB. That was done by the book: 1. Solicit volunteers 2. Pull lowest on totem pole (remember that UA still has never disclosed the exact methodology, even in the CoC or the Dao report) 3. Offer cash (or voucher if UA gets lucky) 4. If pax refuses, they preserve a cause of action for civil damages against the airline.

Since pax refused, UA realized they had a sticky situation on their hands (to say the least, in wake of Doggate and Daogate). Imagine the optics if they had said, get back on board, we're gonna take someone else.

So I think this incident must be reported in the DOT stats as an IDB and that the pax could (in theory) sue UA since they never got cash. However, I don't think a judge would be receptive to her "plight." If UA really cared about their IDB stats, they would have (and should have) gone higher during the initial bidding process.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by sexykitten7

Many here seem to think it's an IDB that turned into a VDB. But I don't think the 10k bribe undos the IDB. You can't unring that bell. I would posit that the moment they pulled her out of line it became an IDB. That was done by the book: 1. Solicit volunteers 2. Pull lowest on totem pole (remember that UA still has never disclosed the exact methodology, even in the CoC or the Dao report) 3. Offer cash (or voucher if UA gets lucky) 4. If pax refuses, they preserve a cause of action for civil damages against the airline.
It's not that complicated. They don't have to pull the lowest on the totem pole until they have gone through announced offers of $2k, $3k, etc. which they can do at the gate or even onboard. Then it's a VDB, everyone walks away happy, and they've saved thousands of dollars. (Although I suppose it's not the gate agent's thousands of dollars, so that person probably doesn't care, just wants the problem to go away.)
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓

Since pax refused, UA realized they had a sticky situation on their hands (to say the least, in wake of Doggate and Daogate). Imagine the optics if they had said, get back on board, we're gonna take someone else.

So I think this incident must be reported in the DOT stats as an IDB and that the pax could (in theory) sue UA since they never got cash. However, I don't think a judge would be receptive to her "plight." If UA really cared about their IDB stats, they would have (and should have) gone higher during the initial bidding process.
Once the VDB document is signed, regardless of the circumstances leading up to this outcome, IDB is no longer the case. The pax basically signed a document that states that he/she has voluntarily relinquished the seat in exchange for travel credit. Even if this ended up in court, that document will trump any argument and/or case for monetary compensation. For UA, this prevents an IDB from being reported to DoT and the additional bad PR that comes with that. $10,000 in UA funny munny is a drop in the bucket compared to what a PR nightmare would cost.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if this ended up in court, that document will trump any argument and/or case for monetary compensation.
I'm not sure about this, although UA would certainly attempt to claw back the voucher if they were sued to collect the cash. The passenger will claim the document was signed under duress; if that argument is successful, the document would be invalidated.

Having said that, I agree that this will be treated as a VDB until / unless such an argument is made. You absolutely can 'unring the bell' in this case, because the process of soliciting volunteers isn't over until the IDB is processed. The other gate agent in the story -- the one who authorized the $10K -- made the passenger an offer: accept the IDB comp or sign the VDB form and accept the $10K voucher. Passenger elected the latter.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:20 pm

For UA, this prevents an IDB from being reported to DoT and the additional bad PR that comes with that. $10,000 in UA funny munny is a drop in the bucket compared to what a PR nightmare would cost.

although - do you think because of the publicity more people will try to "test the waters" and push for higher compensation in the future? Usually someone will give in and take it once it hits their magic number - but maybe in the future people know they will go that high and be less likely to give in for the typical $400 that I have been offered recently.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
(remember that UA still has never disclosed the exact methodology, even in the CoC or the Dao report)
Is this not enough?

1. The priority of all other confirmed passengers may be determined based on a passenger’s fare class, itinerary, status of frequent flyer program membership, and the time in which the passenger presents him/herself for check-in without advanced seat assignment.
In the Dao Report also:

• First, agents will deny boarding if a passenger does not have a seat assignment prior to boarding the aircraft.
  • Customers are then sorted by fare class (estimated fare paid) and type of itinerary.
  • Customers with the lowest paid fare are placed at the top of the list for involuntary denial of boarding.
  • If a group of customers paid the same fare, then the group is sorted by time of check-in.
  • Customers with frequent flyer status will not be involuntarily denied boarding, unless all of the remaining passengers have frequent flyer status, in which case the lowest status will move to the top of the IDB list.
  • Customers with special needs (unaccompanied minors, passengers with disabilities) are excluded and are not involuntarily denied boarding.
Their IDB priority is crystal clear in both order and various priorities/exceptions. The only thing not made explicitly clear is the order of fare classes.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scotttyd
although - do you think because of the publicity more people will try to "test the waters" and push for higher compensation in the future? Usually someone will give in and take it once it hits their magic number - but maybe in the future people know they will go that high and be less likely to give in for the typical $400 that I have been offered recently.
In extraordinary situations... maybe so. Otherwise, people will grab an offer that they feel is attractive, which is how it has always worked. I won't hold out for a huge voucher if I feel the compensation is adequate and attractive, especially if I feel others may be interested as well. It's all a game, but I truly don't think that huge payouts will be an increasing trend. The huge voucher issued the other day was an extraordinary situation where some leveraging was possible... and now we see the result. In a typical VDB situation, I doubt I would ever see something like this unless it's holiday season and no flights are available for 48 hours.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by chermorg
Is this not enough?

In the Dao Report also:

Their IDB priority is crystal clear in both order and various priorities/exceptions. The only thing not made explicitly clear is the order of fare classes.
Okay thanks! I posted the Dao Report without reading it! With that being said, the CoC is still as a clear as mud. And the Report cannot be serious! Would they IDB a no-seat GS or an XN GS? I think not. That can't be right either.

If OP had a seat assignment, then we can quite possibly conclude that OP was in fact the cheapest fare on the plane. With that being said, hard to believe there wasn't at least one award seat on that flight (but hey anything's possible)!

My point is I'd like UA to come out and say what they mean etc. but that's never gonna happen.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Okay thanks! I posted the Dao Report without reading it! With that being said, the CoC is still as a clear as mud. And the Report cannot be serious! Would they IDB a no-seat GS or an XN GS? I think not. That can't be right either.
My point is I'd like UA to come out and say what they mean etc. but that's never gonna happen.
Seems like when UA posts the process, you don't want to believe it.

BTW, you may have missed
Customers with frequent flyer status will not be involuntarily denied boarding, unless all of the remaining passengers have frequent flyer status, in which case the lowest status will move to the top of the IDB list.
That seems to squarely address your GS question.

Further BTW, for future reference, all of this is posted Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated] 's wiki.
onthesam, jjmoore and chermorg like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.