Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Those people likely ended up in worse shape since the last 2 flights of the day ended up going out full with no standbys taken.
Possibly, but not necessarily. They should have been rebooked into positive space, not standby, unless somehow the delay was the passenger's fault. Now, if there was no positive space -- i.e., Y0 -- then, yes, they'd have been put onto standby.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by jsloan
Possibly, but not necessarily. They should have been rebooked into positive space, not standby, unless somehow the delay was the passenger's fault. Now, if there was no positive space -- i.e., Y0 -- then, yes, they'd have been put onto standby.
It's also possible that they used our protection space on that later flight for those missed connections... hopefully that worked out for them.... will never know for sure.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Scored a $600 VDB last week while I was flying on a sub $300 P fare.

Had SDC'd my original XXX-IAH flight to XXX-SFO-IAH the night before. While I was inflight to SFO, SFO-SEA-IAH opened up so I hopped on that for more PQM & another meal. By the time I got to SFO, online check-in was not working for my reservation (locked?) & the entire seat map was now grayed out in flight status. I heard my name over the intercom to report to my departing gate for a special message. When I got to the gate, the GA asked if I wouldn't mind taking the direct flight to IAH, and acted like he was doing me a favor. I said no thank you, as I wanted the extra PQM, then he jumped to a $600 offer which I accepted. I think there must have been a cancellation after I SDC'd which pushed more FC pax onto me SFO-SEA flight.

After he was done(and I could access my reservation on the APP) I walked around the corner and looked for my next SDC. Imagine my surprise when I saw he had rebooked me into "F". That is like handing a blank check to a SDC addict

Last edited by FlyngSvyr; May 9, 2018 at 10:25 am Reason: Less is more
Old May 7, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Flying ORD-GRR today on UA4042 (ERJ-145), scheduled to depart at 5:50 PM. At boarding they asked for a volunteer to give up their seat in exchange for a $1,000 voucher. I nearly sprinted to the podium, got the ETC, a $20 meal voucher and a confirmed seat on the 9:34 PM flight.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Plat
Tkk-pni $1000 etc

13MAY oversold by 1 after everyone had boarded (I was a little apprehensive in light of Daogate). Bidding started at $1000 and someone volunteered almost immediately I think the next flight is 15MAY.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
13MAY oversold by 1 after everyone had boarded (I was a little apprehensive in light of Daogate). Bidding started at $1000 and someone volunteered almost immediately I think the next flight is 15MAY.
I assume that's $1000 plus a hotel? I'm surprised they oversell that route, or maybe it was a mistake?
Old May 14, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by findark
I assume that's $1000 plus a hotel? I'm surprised they oversell that route, or maybe it was a mistake?
No mention of hotel. As you may know, most traffic is local on the island hopper. I'm assuming she wasn't transiting.

Mistake is certainly possible. They don't scan your BP at any island and they don't even check it at some (including TKK). But they do process upgrades/nonrevs and print manifests.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
No mention of hotel. As you may know, most traffic is local on the island hopper. I'm assuming she wasn't transiting.

Mistake is certainly possible. They don't scan your BP at any island and they don't even check it at some (including TKK). But they do process upgrades/nonrevs and print manifests.
Oh, good point, could have been a resident
Old May 16, 2018, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by findark
I have heard about weight restriction on this route in the past... not sure why that would be unless they fuel the plane for several hops and have to be under a certain weight to land safely on these airfields..... thoughts?
Old May 16, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have heard about weight restriction on this route in the past... not sure why that would be unless they fuel the plane for several hops and have to be under a certain weight to land safely on these airfields..... thoughts?
It's a good question. The Hopper is already doing a crazy balancing act with pax and cargo, and they're obviously sending a 738-SFP on the mission but I don't know whether they could get weight-restricted into an oversell if they accepted some high-value heavy cargo. Some of the fields have really short runways.. I also don't know how often they refuel along the way.

The last time I was on a weight-restricted 738 (over by 12 pax), it was into DCA when we got delayed into the curfew and apparently landing quietly also requires less weight.
jjmoore likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
How could it have been a weight restriction if all the seats went out full?
Old May 17, 2018, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joe_miami
How could it have been a weight restriction if all the seats went out full?
If this was the case, it would have been a true oversale, and weight wouldn't have had a bearing in this specific instance. I cannot see the seat map for a flight 4 days ago, so I just don't know.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
If this was the case, it would have been a true oversale, and weight wouldn't have had a bearing in this specific instance. I cannot see the seat map for a flight 4 days ago, so I just don't know.
The OP said the flight "was oversold by one after everyone had boarded" and he was "a little apprehensive in light of Daogate," so I took that to mean all seats were occupied.
jjmoore likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
The OP said the flight "was oversold by one after everyone had boarded" and he was "a little apprehensive in light of Daogate," so I took that to mean all seats were occupied.
Looks like Y was full but F appears to have had three open seats. Either use cablepick tool or just do manual URL (pasted below) to get flight status page and see seat map.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...SO=TKK&FSD=PNI
Old May 17, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by nycflyer1565
Looks like Y was full but F appears to have had three open seats. Either use cablepick tool or just do manual URL (pasted below) to get flight status page and see seat map.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...SO=TKK&FSD=PNI
Aren't those crew rest seats for the special relief system the Island Hopper uses?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.