Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by chermorg
the woman got what she was owed,.
Please explain to me how United owes her $10,000? I would love to know... I only spend about $2,000 each year on United and I still have Gold status....I wish to be in a position where UA owes me $10,000.

Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you were involuntarily denied boarding on an ex-SFO flight, you were eligible for cash compensation instead. However, if you were actually involuntarily denied boarding as a Gold, then United likely broke about 6 rules (not laws, to be clear) in doing so.

The $10K voucher is not for IDB. It's for VDB. If she wanted cash instead of a voucher, it was her right, but the cash value would have been much less than $10K. Maybe she would have preferred that, but I can't imagine why. The voucher is transferrable and can be used multiple times. Even if she doesn't have a use for it personally, it could take care of her gift-giving needs for the entire year.
Can you clarify why the 10K voucher is for VDB and not IDB?
Can't you be issued vouchers for IDB as well?
chermorg likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by geometry
Please explain to me how United owes her $10,000? I would love to know... I only spend about $2,000 each year on United and I still have Gold status....I wish to be in a position where UA owes me $10,000.

Thanks!
She was owed compensation - either 0-400% of fare paid in cash/check, or a travel voucher as agreed upon by the customer and the airline. She chose to take the voucher as she agreed to it, thus she got what she was owed - compensation as prescribed in the rules.

Originally Posted by jsloan
If she actually changed due to a weather waiver, as opposed to a cancelled flight, she has even less to complain about, since you normally can't change origins during a waiver. Sometimes, with UA, it seems that no good deeds go unpunished, and if UA is going to take negative press over this story, they're quite likely to reason that there's no point to do good deeds in the first place.
​​
Oh yes, but that will likely never be mentioned. I secretly hope United flags this woman's MP account (presuming she is a member) and/or does anything possible to claw back the 10k act of goodwill voucher from her. United had every right to give her the cash payment and tell her to piss off, but they worked with her to find a voucher amount that was amicable to both parties, and now she's trying to start (crap) in the news? If it wouldn't cause bad press and I were making the decision, next time she tries to get a ticket (without using the voucher which they legally have to let her use) I'd tell her to get lost.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: *bucks Gold
I want this!

Apparently, UA in this case would rather offer a $10k ETC versus cutting a check for an IDB.

https://www.sfgate.com/chris-mcginnis/article/United-offers-traveler-10-00
0-to-get-off-plane-12774724.php#item-85307-tbla-10
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by chermorg
​​
Oh yes, but that will likely never be mentioned. I secretly hope United flags this woman's MP account (presuming she is a member) and/or does anything possible to claw back the 10k act of goodwill voucher from her. United had every right to give her the cash payment and tell her to piss off, but they worked with her to find a voucher amount that was amicable to both parties, and now she's trying to start (crap) in the news? If it wouldn't cause bad press and I were making the decision, next time she tries to get a ticket (without using the voucher which they legally have to let her use) I'd tell her to get lost.
How does the agent(or the supervisor or manager who signed off on it) justify this to the company's bean counters?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Can you clarify why the 10K voucher is for VDB and not IDB?
Can't you be issued vouchers for IDB as well?
Yes, you can be issued vouchers for IDB, but the customer has the right to refuse and take the cash instead. With VDB, there's no right to refuse a voucher.

So, OK, I suppose it is possible that she was given a $10K voucher as an IDB, although I really can't fathom that nobody would have volunteered for that same $10K, and the CoC specifies that they'll request volunteers before IDB. But as soon as she refused the voucher, she should have been given the cash compensation instead.

The thing is, the cash compensation is capped at $1350. So, if you believe her story, then not only does she value a $10K voucher at less than $1350, so does UA. The former is possible, if shortsighted; the latter is not. If it got to an IDB, and the woman refused to sign the volunteer form, UA would have been better served by giving her the cash, because they'd still have to count it as an IDB.

My guess is that she signed the form, at which point it's a VDB.
chermorg likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by geometry
How does the agent(or the supervisor or manager who signed off on it) justify this to the company's bean counters?
The 10K? The agent doesn't have to justify it. Gate agents are empowered to give up to 10K in vouchers for denied boarding compensation after the incident with Dao. The person who made and implemented that policy would have to justify it. The policy basically tells agents to do whatever possible to get someone to voluntarily take compensation (as technically once they voluntarily take a non-monetary compensation the rule could be construed to call it VDB instead of IDB) instead of being truly IDB (as in "give me your boarding pass here's a check see you in 4 hours on the next flight").
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
This is ridiculous. If I got a $10,000 UA voucher, I would be ecstatic. What is her problem?

If there isn't verbiage like this in a VDB travel voucher now, UA needs to add it:

"UA shall render null and void this voucher should passenger intentionally create negative press surrounding its issuance"

That would be hilarious, getting a $10k UA voucher, whining about it on twitter, then finding out that you've effectively burned the thing by your own stupidity LOL
chermorg likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the USA Today article -
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ght/452168002/

Seems like she would have taken a reasonable amount of cash. Nor is she complaining. See the extracted quotes.
It's also obvious that because she's got a large Twitter presence that UA wanted to turn it off at least, or turn it to their advantage at best. That's why she got a sudden offer of 10K.
So if you asked for $650 cash and they offered 10k in vouchers, what are you doing?

​​​
Preiss told NBC that United agents had offered her a $2,000 voucher, but she pressed for cash instead. Preiss said she thought the gate agent was about to issue a check – not a travel voucher – for $650 when another agent offered a $10,000 travel voucher and a spot on the next plane.
Preiss accepted, tweeting a photo of the voucher while saying “this is how badly United didn’t want to give me cash.”
"Well, I can say it was the best flight delay ever,” she said to ABC News.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
This is ridiculous. If I got a $10,000 UA voucher, I would be ecstatic. What is her problem?

If there isn't verbiage like this in a VDB travel voucher now, UA needs to add it:

"UA shall render null and void this voucher should passenger intentionally create negative press surrounding its issuance"

That would be hilarious, getting a $10k UA voucher, whining about it on twitter, then finding out that you've effectively burned the thing by your own stupidity LOL
Does accepting the UA voucher essentially mean that the customer is signing a NDA?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rickg523
From the USA Today article -
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ght/452168002/

Seems like she would have taken a reasonable amount of cash. Nor is she complaining. See the extracted quotes.
It's also obvious that because she's got a large Twitter presence that UA wanted to turn it off at least, or turn it to their advantage at best. That's why she got a sudden offer of 10K.
So if you asked for $650 cash and they offered 10k in vouchers, what are you doing?

​​​
David Muir on ABC just congratulated her saying “way to go!!”
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
does the $10k have to be spent on a single ticket or does it have residual value and for how long?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
does the $10k have to be spent on a single ticket or does it have residual value and for how long?
It can be used repeatedly until exhausted. It's good for a year from the date of issue -- and then the tickets that you buy with it are good from the date of purchase. So, she could us that voucher to buy a ticket in March of 2019 for travel in February 2020.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:37 pm

Is the travel voucher taxable income to the recipient? Unlike miles (which the IRS won't tax), it is equivalent of cash, albeit one that can only be used at one company... sort of like company store scrip.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Since the voucher has a set validity and can expire, I'd imagine that it would be considered a coupon. It's more like a "store credit" than anything else. If you complained to the airline (lets say, the wifi wasn't working), and they throw you a voucher. Is that taxable? I don't think so, but IANAL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.