Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Iboy80
it says PN2. What does this mean? I was hoping that we’d move up the list, but we are still 5,6,7 and only 13 seats available. Are our odds none existent?
PN2 is a good sign, as in addition to Kmxu’s statement that it means that any GS passengers in groups of 2 or less would have cleared — less important when you already know your position on the list, but not nothing — it also means that UA is getting increasingly desperate to sell the seats. Ultimately you need PZ space to open before you can get upgraded, but PN will always open fully first — so if it’s J9, it has to go to PN9 before PZ space will start to open. It’s a step in the right direction.

Good luck!
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:33 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by jsloan
. (Note: the money spent on the upgrade will not earn miles and is forfeit if you make any voluntary changes).
I think it earns PQP.
But I don't know about MUA copay. Does copay earn PQP?
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I think it earns PQP.
But I don't know about MUA copay. Does copay earn PQP?
Both earn PQP; neither earn redeemable miles.
SPN Lifer, PanAmWT and VRFast like this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 4:46 pm

PN2 is a good sign, as in addition to Kmxu’s statement that it means that any GS passengers in groups of 2 or less would have cleared — less important when you already know your position on the list, but not nothing — it also means that UA is getting increasingly desperate to sell the seats. Ultimately you need PZ space to open before you can get upgraded, but PN will always open fully first — so if it’s J9, it has to go to PN9 before PZ space will start to open. It’s a step in the right direction.

Good luck!
thank you! One more question. On the way back, there are people who are on both the Polaris and PP lists. Some of these people are ahead of us. How is this possible? I thought UA clears PP cabin first? thank you!
Old Mar 9, 2024, 5:25 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Glad I thought to check inventory this afternoon, albeit for a flight I don't care that much about (MCO-IAD). I'd switched back and forth between the 4 and 7pm departures, and kept clearing using PP. Switched back to the 7pm this morning, and it was PN0 PZ0, so I left it with CPU. I was 2nd on the list at the time with 4 seats.

Around 4pm, I figured I would check again. Still 2nd, still 4 seats, but it was now PN/PZ3. So I applied PP (knowing I'll not use them all anyway this year), and cleared.

I just checked again a few minutes ago, and F is checked in full, with the person who was #1 ahead of me still #1 on the list and not cleared. Guess folks bought up.

I really don't care that much about a 2-2.5 hour flight, but sitting in F beats sitting in Y 95% of the time.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thank you! One more question. On the way back, there are people who are on both the Polaris and PP lists. Some of these people are ahead of us. How is this possible? I thought UA clears PP cabin first? thank you!
Passengers using an instrument from a Global Services account will be ahead of all other passengers, regardless of their paid class of service.
Iboy80 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 4:17 pm

Hey all, incredibly new to this, first time trying MUA – appreciate the tips and guidance!

Flying SFO-TPE (UA 853) on 3/16 booked in Economy (S):J7 JN7 C7 D6 Z5 ZN5 P4 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 O1 ON1 A0 R0 RN0 (Updated!)

My partner (two of us flying) who is Platinum (I'm no status haha) put us on the MUA list for both Premium Plus and Polaris.
When I do the date change trick, the upgrade list on the website shows:
Polaris total seats: 50, Booked seats: Full, Checked in: 0 – Position #8 and #9
Premium Plus total seats: 24, Booked seats 22, Checked in: 0 – Position #2 and #3

Why does J show 9, but the upgrade list show booked seats = full? I'm assuming that J9 = 9 open Polaris, and there's a very low likelihood of us getting Polaris if we're 8 & 9? And then O1 means 1 PP seat open... but then the upgrade list makes it seem like there are 2 spots open? I'm not sure what number I should be looking at to know the chance that we get upgraded? 🤣

Last edited by hibrian; Mar 11, 2024 at 5:35 pm
Old Mar 11, 2024, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hibrian
Hey all, incredibly new to this, first time trying MUA – appreciate the tips and guidance!

Flying SFO-TPE (UA 852) on 3/16 booked in Economy (S):
J9 JN9 C9 D6 Z2 ZN2 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0
O1 ON1 A1 R0 RN0
UA 852 is TPE-SFO, not SFO-TPE. And neither UA 852 nor UA 853 (SFO-TPE) have that inventory on that date, at least as far as I can tell. Please double-check the date, flight, and direction.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 4:40 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Are you looking at SFO-TPE, which is flight 853? Flight 852, TPE-SFO is J1.
oops jsloan beat me to it....
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by VRFast
Are you looking at SFO-TPE, which is flight 853? Flight 852, TPE-SFO is J1.
oops jsloan beat me to it....
UA 852 is TPE-SFO, not SFO-TPE. And neither UA 852 nor UA 853 (SFO-TPE) have that inventory on that date, at least as far as I can tell. Please double-check the date, flight, and direction.
D’oh.. thank you both! I didn’t realize it shows the actual next date when it’s a past midnight flight, was searching 3/16 but actually looking at 3/17 😂 And fat fingered 853…

This is what comes up for the actual flight: J7 JN7 C7 D6 Z5 ZN5 P4 PNO PZO INO 10 01 ON1 AO RO RNO - still confused why it says J7 but upgrade list says booked in polaris = full?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA1K
This is a known issue with the upgrade list. It’ll self correct approximately three days before to match what you’re seeing in expert mode. I forget what exactly the reasoning was for the upgrade list double counting certain passengers to make it seem full when it is not
Old Mar 11, 2024, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hibrian
D’oh.. thank you both! I didn’t realize it shows the actual next date when it’s a past midnight flight, was searching 3/16 but actually looking at 3/17 😂 And fat fingered 853…

This is what comes up for the actual flight: J7 JN7 C7 D6 Z5 ZN5 P4 PNO PZO INO 10 01 ON1 AO RO RNO - still confused why it says J7 but upgrade list says booked in polaris = full?
Seats are going fast, as it's now down to J5. Very little chance that you'd be able to clear to Polaris from economy. You might clear to PE, because if anyone upgrades from PE to Polaris, that'll create an extra seat to upgrade into in PE.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:53 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

When you look up inventory in Expert Mode, you have to search for just the flight you're interested in, without any connections. Since you're saying 34/50, you must be on the earlier flight, which is on a 777-200 (50 J seats). The actual inventory there is J9 ... P9 PN0 PZ0, which means UA is willing to sell cash fares at its deepest discount but there's no upgrade space available yet. If you could change to the later flight without a fare increase, you'd find that it's J9 ... P9 PN9 PZ0, which means that they've cleared all Global Services customers, which would be good news for a non-GS member in PE.

5, 6, 7 on the waitlist, I'd be nervous about clearing that flight, but your chances would be excellent on the later flight.
Hi! Please help!! I just looked up my flight SFO to SYD March 21 at 9. It looks like there are three PZ seats available, but no one is getting upgraded. They are just sitting there. I called United and they said they can’t help because our booking is through Celebrity. What do I do? We’ve also dropped in spots to 8, 9, 10. Thank you so much!!
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi! Please help!! I just looked up my flight SFO to SYD March 21 at 9. It looks like there are three PZ seats available, but no one is getting upgraded. They are just sitting there. I called United and they said they can’t help because our booking is through Celebrity. What do I do? We’ve also dropped in spots to 8, 9, 10. Thank you so much!!
UA is supposed to clear people from the list when PZ space opens. However, in practice there is often a window of time exactly like you're describing, where upgrade space will open but nobody gets cleared.

You can leapfrog people on the upgrade list, but most UA agents won't help you. The easiest approach would be to cancel your existing upgrade request and then re-apply it. You'll have to pay the co-pay again, but your original co-pay would be refunded so it should end up as a wash. You may be able to cancel your existing upgrade online, or by calling United.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:11 am

UA is supposed to clear people from the list when PZ space opens. However, in practice there is often a window of time exactly like you're describing, where upgrade space will open but nobody gets cleared.

You can leapfrog people on the upgrade list, but most UA agents won't help you. The easiest approach would be to cancel your existing upgrade request and then re-apply it. You'll have to pay the co-pay again, but your original co-pay would be refunded so it should end up as a wash. You may be able to cancel your existing upgrade online, or by calling United.
thank you!! How do I cancel online?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.