Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Iboy80
thank you!! How do I cancel online?
After I wrote that, I realized II don't think it's actually possible to cancel online -- I think you need to call. (You can cancel PlusPoints requests online, but I don't think you can cancel miles+copay requests online). They shouldn't need to contact Carnival because Carnival doesn't have anything to do with the upgrade part of the ticket.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:16 am

Ugh.. they said they can’t cancel those requests on phone either. Is that right?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ugh.. they said they can’t cancel those requests on phone either. Is that right?
It shouldn't be, unless there's some new policy that I haven't heard about. Here's the relevant thread: Using Miles to Upgrade on United
Old Mar 13, 2024, 11:02 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by jsloan
It shouldn't be, unless there's some new policy that I haven't heard about. Here's the relevant thread: Using Miles to Upgrade on United
I was able to as "recently" as 18 months ago. HUCA...
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 11:31 am

Both earn PQP; neither earn redeemable miles.
But only through talking with agent? Not online?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 11:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
thank you!! How do I cancel online?
Mileage upgrade request can only be cancelled by an agent. And not if any segment has cleared
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
PN will always open fully first — so if it’s J9, it has to go to PN9 before PZ space will start to open.
I agree with your sentiment but I don't think this part is strictly true. I've seen plenty of flights with PN<9 but PZ>0, whether it's day of departure, a few days to a few weeks in advance, or several months in advance.
friedablass likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
I agree with your sentiment but I don't think this part is strictly true. I've seen plenty of flights with PN<9 but PZ>0, whether it's day of departure, a few days to a few weeks in advance, or several months in advance.
I may be wrong, but I believe what may happen is that to begin with its PN9 and for example they decide to open PZ6, but as soon as passengers upgrade into PZ, these 2 numbers move down in tandem - meaning if 2 pax use points to upgrade into PZ afterwards it will show PN7 PZ4. I believe I've seen this happening when I myself have been upgraded to PZ but I'm not 100% sure. But this would explain how you can see PZ<9 but PZ >0.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 8:46 pm

You are all amazing!! Thank you for your help. I did it and it worked!
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by friedablass
I may be wrong, but I believe what may happen is that to begin with its PN9 and for example they decide to open PZ6, but as soon as passengers upgrade into PZ, these 2 numbers move down in tandem - meaning if 2 pax use points to upgrade into PZ afterwards it will show PN7 PZ4. I believe I've seen this happening when I myself have been upgraded to PZ but I'm not 100% sure. But this would explain how you can see PZ<9 but PZ >0.
Yeah, this is definitely possible, but I don't think it's the only explanation for PN<9 and PZ>0. For example, when UA starts to level fare buckets close in (an increasingly rare practice), they can level to something as extreme as J1 ... P1 PN1 PZ1.

In other words, the difference between PN and PZ is not strictly 9+. It might start out that way but change over time.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 10:47 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by dkc192
Yeah, this is definitely possible, but I don't think it's the only explanation for PN<9 and PZ>0. For example, when UA starts to level fare buckets close in (an increasingly rare practice), they can level to something as extreme as J1 ... P1 PN1 PZ1.

In other words, the difference between PN and PZ is not strictly 9+. It might start out that way but change over time.
Seeing that "phenomenon" today on UA880/UA5, IAH-LHR, J2 JN2 C2 D2 Z2 ZN2 P2 PN1 PZ1
Old Mar 14, 2024, 11:34 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by VRFast
Seeing that "phenomenon" today on UA880/UA5, IAH-LHR, J2 JN2 C2 D2 Z2 ZN2 P2 PN1 PZ1
Within T-24 h, this is typical for some flights, not for all flights. You won't see this before the clock hits T-24 h, however.
VRFast likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 7:36 am

Hi everyone,

I confess my head is spinning trying to understand these upgrades and how they work. I could use some advice or thoughts on my odds of upgrading IAD to HND on March 21. I’m Gold Status and in Premium Plus. I applied for the upgrade to Polaris using miles and dollars, and this site someone else made shows I’m currently #9 and #10 on the waitlist. That same site says 38/50 Polaris seats have been booked, but the United flight map shows there are 18 open seats left. The fares are as follows:
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P9
  • PN0
  • PZ0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • O0
  • ON0
  • A0
  • R0
  • RN0
  • Y8
  • YN8
  • B8
  • M8
  • E8
  • U8
  • H8
  • HN8
  • Q8
  • V4
  • W1
  • S0
  • T0
  • L0
  • K0
  • G0
  • XN0
  • X0

If PZ ever opens up (from monitoring this route over the last week for other days, it looks like PZ and PN open up the same time, and some flights that departed this week had PZ9 and PN9 a few days before departure), would it be safer to just cancel my upgrade request by phone and then try to instantly upgrade on the website using miles and dollars? Or is that too risky? I’m not even sure what my upgrade odds are, so it’s hard to know what my expectations and strategy, if any, should be. Any guidance would be super appreciated! Thank you!
Old Mar 16, 2024, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by junebeforejuly
Hi everyone,

I confess my head is spinning trying to understand these upgrades and how they work. I could use some advice or thoughts on my odds of upgrading IAD to HND on March 21. I’m Gold Status and in Premium Plus. I applied for the upgrade to Polaris using miles and dollars, and this site someone else made shows I’m currently #9 and #10 on the waitlist. That same site says 38/50 Polaris seats have been booked, but the United flight map shows there are 18 open seats left. The fares are as follows:
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P9
  • PN0
  • PZ0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • O0
  • ON0
  • A0
  • R0
  • RN0
  • Y8
  • YN8
  • B8
  • M8
  • E8
  • U8
  • H8
  • HN8
  • Q8
  • V4
  • W1
  • S0
  • T0
  • L0
  • K0
  • G0
  • XN0
  • X0

If PZ ever opens up (from monitoring this route over the last week for other days, it looks like PZ and PN open up the same time, and some flights that departed this week had PZ9 and PN9 a few days before departure), would it be safer to just cancel my upgrade request by phone and then try to instantly upgrade on the website using miles and dollars? Or is that too risky? I’m not even sure what my upgrade odds are, so it’s hard to know what my expectations and strategy, if any, should be. Any guidance would be super appreciated! Thank you!
1) seat maps do not always represent booked seats, as many tickets purchased outside of UA ticketing do not have seats selected by default.

2) yes, if PZ opens up, you can look to upgrade instantly. PN is for Global Services requests use.

At 9 and 10 with 12 seats remaining? There is still a chance but not good odds.

You can also look to see if you are being offered a buyup, which will move you into business class.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
1) seat maps do not always represent booked seats, as many tickets purchased outside of UA ticketing do not have seats selected by default.

2) yes, if PZ opens up, you can look to upgrade instantly. PN is for Global Services requests use.

At 9 and 10 with 12 seats remaining? There is still a chance but not good odds.

You can also look to see if you are being offered a buyup, which will move you into business class.
Thank you! Would I be able to upgrade instantly through PZ availability even if there are PNs still open? Or would the fact that PNs are open and prioritized because of GS mean that even if PZ opens and I reapply for an upgrade, I’d still be waitlisted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.