Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
100%. You will clear no later than T-36 h.
Good luck.

Add: Check PZ space daily. If PZ1 appears, split the reservation into two. You need PZ2 to clear both pax. You will be skipped if PZ1.
I have been checking daily in hopes something would open, my concern is if I split the reservation would my husband no longer be #2? He is gold. Comparing the upgrade lists, 1-4 for Polaris are coming from PE (there is a group of 2 behind us).
Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pampa
As expected, no upgrades for me on the outbound flight. What are my chances for next Thursday?J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z8 ZN8 P3 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 O1 ON1 A0 R0 RN0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W1 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N9 XN4 X0
Is this GRU-ORD on March 28? The expert mode result does not match with the above.
Did you find your positions on the upgrade waiting lists for both Polaris and PremiumPlus cabins using the "date change trick?"
Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:47 pm

Is this GRU-ORD on March 28? The expert mode result does not match with the above.
Did you find your positions on the upgrade waiting lists for both Polaris and PremiumPlus cabins using the "date change trick?"
On the way back it's GRU-IAH on March 28. I'm sixth in line (using the date trick).
Old Mar 21, 2024, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by hgarhan7
I have been checking daily in hopes something would open, my concern is if I split the reservation would my husband no longer be #2? He is gold. Comparing the upgrade lists, 1-4 for Polaris are coming from PE (there is a group of 2 behind us).
Assuming that PZ1 appears and you split the reservation into two, you can withdraw the PP request for your husband and re-apply the PP request to get the Polaris seat immediately. This assumes that no connection flight has cleared the upgrade (i.e., your originating city to ORD). You need to figure out how to split the reservation into two, and how to withdraw PP request. If you do not want to bother all of these, just wait for UA IT to do its trick. The expert mode says "P9," which means that UA has no confidence to sell lots of more seats at this moment. Further, you are at 1-2 on the WL. There is nothing to worry about the upgrade. UA will clear the seats down to 3 seat at T-36 h, which gives you enough time to order meals.

On the way back it's GRU-IAH on March 28. I'm sixth in line (using the date trick).
Depending upon how many seats are sold (e.g., "upsell") in the next few days, your chance may be better than 50-50. Good luck.
SPN Lifer and pampa like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:14 pm

Ok, there's a great chance I'll be able to finish my work here a day early and a small chance I could change my return flight to Wednesday. Here's the info:UA63 Wednesday:

J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 O9 ON9 A9 R8 RN0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V1 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N9 XN0 X0 (currently system can’t show how many are available).

UA63 Thursday:

J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z7 ZN7 P2 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 O1 ON1 A0 R0 RN0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N9 XN3 X0 (12 Polaris seats available if I try to book it).
I'm 6th in line for Thursday.

Is it worth it to change my flight? Would the late upgrade be much more expensive though?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 7:53 am

Ok, there's a great chance I'll be able to finish my work here a day early and a small chance I could change my return flight to Wednesday. Here's the info:UA63 Wednesday:

J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 O9 ON9 A9 R8 RN0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V1 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N9 XN0 X0 (currently system can’t show how many are available).

UA63 Thursday:

J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z7 ZN7 P2 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 O1 ON1 A0 R0 RN0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N9 XN3 X0 (12 Polaris seats available if I try to book it).
I'm 6th in line for Thursday.

Is it worth it to change my flight? Would the late upgrade be much more expensive though?
It is hard to tell without examining both PremiumPlus and Polaris waiting lists (WLs). For non-status pax, you will be near the end of the lists unless someone purchases a lower fare class. You have S class fare, which is only ahead of T, L, K and G class fares. If the length of WLs on next Wednesday's flight is much shorter than the number of available seats, you will have a good chance. Based upon the comparison in expert mode for both days alone, it is easier to get upgrades on Wednesday's flight (P9 vs. P2; O9 vs. O1; UA is willing to oversell Premium Plus cabin seats on Wednesday's flight). It is better to make an educated decision with more info (e.g., WLs).

If upfare (offer to upgrade price; from your own pocket) to PremiumPlus cabin is reasonable, which will reduces your co-pay to Polaris slightly, your chance for upgrading to Polaris will increase greatly (ahead of all economy cabin pax without Global Service upgrade instruments).
pampa likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:05 pm

Learning the route:
  1. I'm on SFO-SYD, booked into a 'B' fare, 1K status, midweek, and am on the waitlist for Premium Plus/Polaris with pluspoints, lots of inventory showing in Polaris a few weeks out.
  2. The return is an 'R' fare with a confirmed Premium Plus seat, 1K status, Friday flight, on the waitlist with pluspoints, lots of inventory.
Anyone have experience with this route and using pluspoints to upgrade into Polaris?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:19 am

It is hard to tell without examining both PremiumPlus and Polaris waiting lists (WLs). For non-status pax, you will be near the end of the lists unless someone purchases a lower fare class. You have S class fare, which is only ahead of T, L, K and G class fares. If the length of WLs on next Wednesday's flight is much shorter than the number of available seats, you will have a good chance. Based upon the comparison in expert mode for both days alone, it is easier to get upgrades on Wednesday's flight (P9 vs. P2; O9 vs. O1; UA is willing to oversell Premium Plus cabin seats on Wednesday's flight). It is better to make an educated decision with more info (e.g., WLs).

If upfare (offer to upgrade price; from your own pocket) to PremiumPlus cabin is reasonable, which will reduces your co-pay to Polaris slightly, your chance for upgrading to Polaris will increase greatly (ahead of all economy cabin pax without Global Service upgrade instruments).
Looks like I'm 8th in line for Thursday. For Wednesday, UA 63 shows 31 out of 50 booked and 10 people in the waitlist. If I move to Wednesday, I'll be number 11 probably.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by searchforfulfillment
Learning the route:
  1. I'm on SFO-SYD, booked into a 'B' fare, 1K status, midweek, and am on the waitlist for Premium Plus/Polaris with pluspoints, lots of inventory showing in Polaris a few weeks out.
  2. The return is an 'R' fare with a confirmed Premium Plus seat, 1K status, Friday flight, on the waitlist with pluspoints, lots of inventory.
Anyone have experience with this route and using pluspoints to upgrade into Polaris?
We'd need exact dates to be able to offer more precise insights. My hunch/anecdotal knowledge is that Australia flights these days are generally easy upgrades, so even if your odds on your currently booked flights are slim, you should be able to switch to a different flight with confirmable space or higher chances without too much inconvenience, i.e., SFO-LAX-SYD on the same day instead of the nonstop.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:25 am

Looks like I'm 8th in line for Thursday. For Wednesday, UA 63 shows 31 out of 50 booked and 10 people in the waitlist. If I move to Wednesday, I'll be number 11 probably.
No worse than 11th on the WL because someone may purchase a lower fare.
Good luck.

Add: Check the flight status for UA 63 on Wednesday. 11 is on PremiumPlus WL, 16 on Polaris WL. #1 probably used Global Service Pluspoints (PN space); 2-6 are already on PremiumPlus cabin; the rest is waitlisted for both cabins.

Last edited by Kmxu; Mar 25, 2024 at 11:50 am
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:07 pm

Hi, can someone please give me their educated guess about my chances of getting upgraded?

Flight info is UA 875 (SFO - HND) on April 1st.

Background.... Silver Status, currently in 6th position for business. Originally paid for economy (S) and waitlist upgraded with 30k points and cash. I was upgraded to Premium Plus already automatically a few weeks ago (RN). Date of original ticket was 10/29/23

Seat map shows 17 open seats out of 49 (though I realize this might not be accurate).

Current avail fare classes copy and pasted:
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P9
  • PN0
  • PZ0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • O9
  • ON9
  • A9
  • R6
  • RN0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V8
  • W3
  • S0
  • T0
  • L0
  • K0
  • G0
  • XN0
  • X0

Thank you!

Edit: Update, I was upgraded this morning

Last edited by realcxd; Mar 26, 2024 at 10:18 am
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:13 pm

Add: Check the flight status for UA 63 on Wednesday. 11 is on PremiumPlus WL, 16 on Polaris WL. #1 probably used Global Service Pluspoints (PN space); 2-6 are already on PremiumPlus cabin; the rest is waitlisted for both cabins.
I see, so it's better to stay #8 for Thursday than who knows what position on Wednesday, but potentially 10-16th?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Gold
Flying April 25th IAD-HND in premium plus. I just went into the upgrade offer section and for the first time I have ever seen the miles and money option says 6 seats left and not the usual "waitlist". I went and double checked the fare codes and saw PZ6.
Does this mean if I put for the miles and money or pluspoints it will immediately clear? Also could I have one upgrade sponsored with plus points and the other with miles and money, as my husband only has 40 pluspoints at the moment.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akb9x
Flying April 25th IAD-HND in premium plus. I just went into the upgrade offer section and for the first time I have ever seen the miles and money option says 6 seats left and not the usual "waitlist". I went and double checked the fare codes and saw PZ6.
Does this mean if I put for the miles and money or pluspoints it will immediately clear? Also could I have one upgrade sponsored with plus points and the other with miles and money, as my husband only has 40 pluspoints at the moment.
Yes, it will clear immediately.

You may be able sponsor one with each currency, but I believe you have to split the PNR, and while the most likely result of upgrading one reservation is for it to go to PZ5, it is possible that a single upgrade triggers UA’s computers to close the bucket entirely.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by akb9x
You will get the seats right away if you request for upgrades with either Pluspoints or miles+co-pay. If you use different upgrade methods (PPs on one, miles+co-pay on another), you will need to split the reservation. If you have a friend with 60 PPs, you can trade some miles plus 40 PPs with this person. This would be most cost effective approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.