Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Marcin83
UA737 (likely a flight number, not Boeing type) is a flight IAH-DEN. "3.5" was probably a typo.
Anyway, the veggie wrap is a shame - I saw it personally (ORD-IAH, Nov 25th) and someone should be fired for this brilliant idea of serving that crap. If you you are ever offered this or cheese plate, I´d take cheese plate.
correct it was the flight number and yes typo. Should have been 2.5
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Although there are no changes in service for premium transcons, I can't help but think reductions are on the way. If domestic flights and Polaris are getting enhanced, ps can't be safe.

Sigh, and I've just returned to UA. Bad timing.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
What was the AA routing?
Nonstop SFO/PHL - the cost is higher than UA, but they would rather pay a little more and get a "real First Class" vs paying a little less and not getting their money's worth. Most of their flying is on AA anyway, so it all works out in the end, except on price.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Nonstop SFO/PHL - the cost is higher than UA, but they would rather pay a little more and get a "real First Class" vs paying a little less and not getting their money's worth. Most of their flying is on AA anyway, so it all works out in the end, except on price.
Is that route served by a lie-flat aircraft on AA?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is that route served by a lie-flat aircraft on AA?
There is a A332 that shows up on this route for AA with lie-flat seats, but most of the aircraft on the route are narrow body. UA does not offer lie-flat or PS service on this route.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
(back to food...)
02/09/18
EWR-LAX
dinner in J
pdb: glenfarclas (forgot to take a photo...)

note: "dressing" was only olive oil - no balsamic

asked for and received the "steak" - a bit well done for my taste but edible; also, broccolini was really broccoli:

dessert: turned sundae into affogato + chocolate bar square:

David
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

LAS-IAH yesterday 9:53a departure, 2:57 blocked. One choice was egg white frittata. More than I expected in two ways - more substantial breakfast than I was expecting and (2) got yanked from 10F to 4A after boarding 👍

Declined cinnamon roll or croissant also offered. The Moscow Mule I wanted w/ breakfast “was not catered” 👎.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 10, 2018 at 7:05 am
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wish I got the hot sauce with that dish on my flight. It was so bland.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by DELee
(back to food...)
02/09/18
EWR-LAX
dinner in J
pdb: glenfarclas (forgot to take a photo...)

David
I had the cajun chicken breast on my flight recently - that was really good. I tend to stay away from the 'steaks' onboard because those are hit/miss depending on what the FA is doing.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by demkr
Wish I got the hot sauce with that dish on my flight. It was so bland.
i used both the hot sauce and pepper to mitigate the blandness. Pepper jack cheese would have helped.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
i used both the hot sauce and pepper to mitigate the blandness. Pepper jack cheese would have helped.
otherwise it tasted ok?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 1855 MCO-EWR, 2/7/18
737-800, breakfast

Despite the flight-status amenities list only showing a snack upfront--which I had kind of expected for a flight with an ungodly 5:36 a.m. departure followed by less than two hours in the air--we had a choice of cereal or a ham and egg sandwich. The latter was the same thing I had on an IAD-IAH flight a month earlier, minus any breakfast breads and plus a packet of Cholula hot sauce. Much appreciated overall.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA 5987: SFO to MSP
February 8, 2018
Embraer ERJ-175, Dinner

I think it's a sad state how far mainline catering has fallen that I was happy to be flying what seemed like the dependable (if cut-rate) world of Express catering.

Tonight's choices were an Asian glass noodle salad with beef, or a chicken wrap. I took the former, which was advertised to me in 4A as "we have only one left" - no idea if that was true or if it meant I was taking it from a non-1K in front of me. The FA serving made some comment to the effect of "wow you're all like Platinum" and we chatted that as an OO FA she regularly flew for all kinds of express operations (DL, AS, etc.) This dinner has been flying with United Express for quite a while, and I thought it was pretty good. The ginger sesame dressing reminds me the value of actually paying attention to things like that, and for all people seem to be hating on it, Shiner Bock is a fine beer. Notably, the "chicken wrap" was not the disaster "buffalo chicken wrap" I've seen on other UAX flights (e.g. Jan 2017 MSP-EWR Dinner), but appeared to have more greens and it came with a salad.

The Express cookie remains one of my favorite cookies in the sky, even if it isn't "fresh baked".
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by EWR764
Welcome to Kirby/Levy's United Airlines. Product doesn't matter... it's all about network and hub connectivity.

To be fair, AA and DL domestic catering standards have declined precipitously, too. We're firmly back in a cut cycle, despite profits.
I disagree about AA. DL and UA, yes, cut cycle for sure, but AA's catering has (so far) remained more generous, with better midcon/transcon dessert choices, substantial breakfasts, and a proper snack service on snack flights (i.e., hummus and pita bread, fruit/cheese) vs. the snack basket you'd find on most DL/UA snack flights.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although there are no changes in service for premium transcons, I can't help but think reductions are on the way. If domestic flights and Polaris are getting enhanced, ps can't be safe.
Seems to go into that direction, looking at the "Goat cheese" appetizer.

Originally Posted by DELee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.