Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
EWR-MIA has also been "snacked" despite blocks over 3 hours.
Great job staying competitive UA!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by demkr
They are being competitive - with Spirit
demkr, kirkwoodj and tstauck like this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by B787938
However, my itinerary now lists the flight as SNACK. What gives? Should I expect the breakfast snack or is this a glitch?
GDS code is almost always correct.. expect to be Snacked. The chart uses "canonical block time" which is an internal average route block time (probably based on flight distance) and not the block time for an an individual flight.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I am flying EWR - FLL in the coming days in First. The flight leaves at 8:30A and is blocked at 3 hours 13 mins. According to the new meal guidelines, this flight would qualify for a full meal. That is, "A full meal service with two entree choices is available on flights 3 hours or longer."

However, my itinerary now lists the flight as SNACK. What gives? Should I expect the breakfast snack or is this a glitch?

Regardless, I will report back after my flight...
I have been flying this route quite a bit over the last few months. In late January, F class was offered two choices, both of which were quite poor, including a small cheese plate that my seat mate did not enjoy. When I flew FLL to EWR on 2/2, F class was offered only a snack basket, with the usual assortment of chips. The FAs explained that the flight is double catered out of EWR because FLL "does not have any catering facilities."

Only a fool would actually pay for a first class seat with that type of service. And I was such a fool.

(As an added bonus, the flight was diverted to IAD because of fuel pumping issues at FLL, arriving in EWR 4.5 hours late and causing a misconnect. With that, the FAs could not be bothered with looking after the F cabin after serving one round of drinks because they spent the bulk of the flight in heated discussion in the galley)
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LarryU
When I flew FLL to EWR on 2/2, F class was offered only a snack basket, with the usual assortment of chips.
Wow.

I see DL is still serving breakfast JFK-FLL. They designate meals based on flight distance, which seems to me much less susceptible to the gaming we are presently seeing from UA (since its meal service guidelines are based on a metric they do not actually publish).
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow.

I see DL is still serving breakfast JFK-FLL. They designate meals based on flight distance, which seems to me much less susceptible to the gaming we are presently seeing from UA (since its meal service guidelines are based on a metric they do not actually publish).
Delta and American both serve meals on NYC-ATL and south. United serves an inconspicuous Snack on Breakfast and Lunch flights, sometimes just being a Muffin or a Snackbox.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
I am flying EWR - FLL in the coming days in First. The flight leaves at 8:30A and is blocked at 3 hours 13 mins. According to the new meal guidelines, this flight would qualify for a full meal. That is, "A full meal service with two entree choices is available on flights 3 hours or longer."

Regardless, I will report back after my flight...
Unfortunately UA does not use block time at all for these categories. The catering flight time is the average in-flight time for both directions over a year. For EWR-FLL for example that time is somewhere around 2h 28min
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
ORD-EWR
A319
Snack

Choice of small cheese and cracker plate or this Southwestern salad with chicken and a side of spicy salsa, which took the place of separate dressing.

Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
ORD-EWR
A319
Snack

Choice of small cheese and cracker plate or this Southwestern salad with chicken and a side of spicy salsa, which took the place of separate dressing.

Did they really cut salad dressing now? A dry salad? Seriously?
God, I really hope that is a mis-cater or something.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium

"snacked" SFO-DEN flight this morning. Choice of cheese and egg white crumbs on bread or cereal with a few scraps of fruit and yogurt.

Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I'm just waiting for the first broken cashews picture.
demkr and zeer0 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
It is NOT a mis-cater!

The whole story of F-catering cuts became on Sep1st with my flight ORD-IAH. I was served exactly the same crap. And in december, in my IAH-ORD I was served exactly the same. No dressing, no cookies. Comparing with the Sep. flight, they served nuts though.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:24 am

Wow this new 2017-2018 catering has been the worst yet. I made a comment in the 2016 Let’s Eat about how fantastic United’s domestic catering has gotten, and how looking back at 2012 Let’s Eat (with Hot Nuts, Chicken Wraps, Pita Chips and Cookies) was depressing.

Of course, 2014-2017 were the days of Three Entree Choices, Lobster Mac and Cheese or Salmon on EWR-MCO, with Nuts, and Ice Cream on flights over 3 hours.

Today’s catering is despicable.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I think the lime wedge dropped into the middle of the salad is the DIY dressing.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

"snacked" SFO-DEN flight this morning. Choice of cheese and egg white crumbs on bread or cereal with a few scraps of fruit and yogurt.

That's absolutely disgusting
demkr and zeer0 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.