Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Otherwise known as a continental breakfast and a "cheese plate"
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

Kirby did bring over Nocella from AA, who called the shots on food at America West / US.

These meals seem out of that playbook though we haven’t seen plastic cups yet!

3.5 hours was the min for a meal on US even after some “upgrades”

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...irways-Express

Ok but even if they were brought over, US catering wasn’t that bad and the plastic cups eventually disappeared; everyone seems to have this belief about US being so bare bones and awful but I took a few flights in the 2012-2013 period and can say that US catering was superior to UA. For as crummy as catering is right now at UA, it’s nowhere near as bad as the 2011-2015 timeframe with the infamous chicken bouquet. have to dig up some pics.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by halls120
I've had hospital food that looked better than that.
Completely agree, but UA's catering has been quite bad for a while now. AA's is just as bad and DL's is even worse.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
wow, this new change sucks. Was looking at some flights yesterday and saw a lot of 'snack' where I was expecting 'meal'. This is ridiculous.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA
1/27/18 LAX-EWR
UA2041, sUA 752

2/3/18 LAX-EWR
UA2041, sUA 752

Expecting more from the chorizo dish, plating leaved much to be desired as well as taste and quantity.

Last edited by thejaredhuang; Feb 7, 2018 at 11:55 am
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I'm not trying to justify UA's decision to cut catering costs, but I feel like the "snack" offerings are still pretty substantial for a snack. The egg white pastry with kale with yogurt and fruit is probably around 400-500 calories, and if we were outside of the US, that would generally be considered a solid meal. The veggie wrap with the grapes and chocolate shown above is also probably a 300-400 calorie meal.

But then again, UA is not our nutritionist or doctor, and the norms here are to have hearty portions.

Last edited by 764toHI; Feb 5, 2018 at 7:49 pm
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:22 pm

They really shouldn't call it a snack because it invokes the feeling of being handed a bag of chips or snack mix. They should really call it a "Light meal" which people may find more appealing.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: United 1K
So tired of the same crappy food on UA - flew SFO-ORD and was the same crappy jumbalya and lentil chili options - new month. And it sounds like the Lentil Chili is going Polaris - pathetic
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
EWR-ORD
Snack

Two choices: a noodle salad with prosciutto (prosciutto served on a separate plate which I declined) or a cheese/cracker/fruit plate. Both came with a Ghirardelli chocolate sqare.

Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
ORD-BOS
496 (6 a.m. departure)
05 FEB 18
Snack. It was a warmed blueberry scone barely larger than the size of a silver dollar coin. That's it. I've already sent a note to 1Kvoice expressing my disbelief.
SkiPremier likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:32 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
yycden
express - skywest e175
1640 departure, 2h30 flight, so per ua "full dinner service" (not necessarily hot, but a real dinner)
no pdb despite flight only 75% full in the back (100% in front, oprah was here and silvers got upgraded) and we left the gate 8 min early. #fwp #ihadalongdayandrantotheairportandjustwantedavodka

dinner was:
-7 chicken jerky, i mean, sausage
-3 types of bland (i'm suspecting semi processed) cheese
-crackers
-acceptable enough olives although not tk standard

knowing the day turns to yyc are double catered is den still dealing with lysteria or is this new normal. i know it quick flight but cmon a cold salad with chicken or something.

blah airlines: you will get there.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:34 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk, Bluefinn! If that really is what "Snack" has become on that route, I'd complain too. That's not a "snack," that's barely a refreshment. That's ridiculous considering that it used to be a full meal, and that AA continues to serve a full meal on this route.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I've stopped taking pictures, but my thoughts:

-On recent TCON flights, I have very much enjoyed the chicken dishes. I had a cajun chicken dish with lentils on EWR-SFO last weekend and really enjoyed it. The version with kale pesto and orzo is also quite good.
-On SJC-EWR, I had a chorizo scramble for breakfast...the tortilla strips in it were a dry, but the flavors were very good. Also enjoyed the warmed-up cookie I got...made me miss them on the p.s. flights (taking those away was a big mistake, and I have yet to see the cabin crew actively ask people if they want the later snack in the flight. Talk about providing less food than on a regular domestic TCON flight...).
Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:55 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by Bluefinn
ORD-BOS
496 (6 a.m. departure)
05 FEB 18
Snack. It was a warmed blueberry scone barely larger than the size of a silver dollar coin. That's it. I've already sent a note to 1Kvoice expressing my disbelief.
OH. MY. GOSH. And to think I was considering buying F on this route. Not now.
Delta has a nonstop flight that will get us where we’re going. If we buy that ticket instead I’ll send 1k voice an email with the reason why.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:46 am

I am flying EWR - FLL in the coming days in First. The flight leaves at 8:30A and is blocked at 3 hours 13 mins. According to the new meal guidelines, this flight would qualify for a full meal. That is, "A full meal service with two entree choices is available on flights 3 hours or longer."

However, my itinerary now lists the flight as SNACK. What gives? Should I expect the breakfast snack or is this a glitch?

Regardless, I will report back after my flight...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.