Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
Today’s catering is despicable.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
That's absolutely disgusting
I think "pathetic" is a better term...
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Thumbs down

"Dinner" up front last night from DEN to YYZ. I have low expectations on a CRJ, but when offered the "cheese tray" I expected a bit better plating than this!

Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
ROFL

"Pasteurized Process Cheese Foods" ???

Trotter Project must be so proud of the premium dining experience....
cranky1K likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I think "pathetic" is a better term...
Looks like a bad UX catering day.. can't believe this is mainline
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
Wow this new 2017-2018 catering has been the worst yet. I made a comment in the 2016 Let’s Eat about how fantastic United’s domestic catering has gotten, and how looking back at 2012 Let’s Eat (with Hot Nuts, Chicken Wraps, Pita Chips and Cookies) was depressing.

Of course, 2014-2017 were the days of Three Entree Choices, Lobster Mac and Cheese or Salmon on EWR-MCO, with Nuts, and Ice Cream on flights over 3 hours.

Today’s catering is despicable.
Welcome to Kirby/Levy's United Airlines. Product doesn't matter... it's all about network and hub connectivity.

To be fair, AA and DL domestic catering standards have declined precipitously, too. We're firmly back in a cut cycle, despite profits.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21
ROFL

"Pasteurized Process Cheese Foods" ???

Trotter Project must be so proud of the premium dining experience....
Trotter Project? Ha!

One of my premium clients decided to have us book UA due to it being the only nonstop option SFO PHL - they had visions of a lie-flat seat with superb dining designed by Charlie Trotter! Ha!

We had to explain their seat would be a domestic F recliner, as a non-status passenger in the last row, they would receive the last available entree option, and their "Charlie Trotter" entree would most likely be a pile of rabbit-poop looking lentils with some tasteless polenta-like substance - or nothing more than a cheese tray.

Needless to say we found space on American and booked them there instead. I am not risking my agency's reputation on United - every client gets a disclosure warning on the possibility of an unacceptable product and service, the same disclosure we provide before booking any mainland Chinese airline.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Trotter Project? Ha!

One of my premium clients decided to have us book UA due to it being the only nonstop option SFO PHL - they had visions of a lie-flat seat with superb dining designed by Charlie Trotter! Ha!

We had to explain their seat would be a domestic F recliner, as a non-status passenger in the last row, they would receive the last available entree option, and their "Charlie Trotter" entree would most likely be a pile of rabbit-poop looking lentils with some tasteless polenta-like substance - or nothing more than a cheese tray.

Needless to say we found space on American and booked them there instead. I am not risking my agency's reputation on United - every client gets a disclosure warning on the possibility of an unacceptable product and service, the same disclosure we provide before booking any mainland Chinese airline.
My S.O. flew SFO to PHL this past Sunday. It was an A319 (8 F seats). For some reason they had not catered enough meals for the entire first class cabin and so the FA was offering people the BOB food options from economy as a second choice. He was actually in row 7 (forget upgrades even as a 1K) and only heard the conversations with the FA. So not sure if any compensation was being offered.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
Welcome to Kirby/Levy's United Airlines. Product doesn't matter... it's all about network and hub connectivity.

To be fair, AA and DL domestic catering standards have declined precipitously, too. We're firmly back in a cut cycle, despite profits.
Delta’s meals are small and American’s aren’t very tasty, but at least it’s a service.

Alaska served a meal (Penne & Rigatoni Mix) on my last 1h 20min flight, and you see Boxed Cheese and Crackers on a Four Hour UA flight.
Marcin83 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Premium transcon

I don't see it talked about much here, but what are the Economy Plus transcon meals like? I thinking about using United as my go to LAX - EWR airliner.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cryan71
I don't see it talked about much here, but what are the Economy Plus transcon meals like? I thinking about using United as my go to LAX - EWR airliner.
Some photos and descriptions here—
2018 Let's Eat - Economy Class (Domestic & International)
—although mixed in with discussion of other Economy food.

It's basically like the meal you get in Economy on int'l flights, although maybe slightly scaled back if that's possible.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA GS
Got snacked

just did IAH-DEN on UA 737. Blocked at 3.5 hours. Tiny vegan wrap a few grapes and a piece of chocolate. As a GS in coach I would have been fed better. I might even prefer the current Denver special. 🤮
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
just did IAH-DEN on UA 737. Blocked at 3.5 hours. Tiny vegan wrap a few grapes and a piece of chocolate. As a GS in coach I would have been fed better. I might even prefer the current Denver special. 🤮
IAH-DEN is never 3.5 hours!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
IAH-DEN is never 3.5 hours!
IAD-DEN perhaps?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
UA737 (likely a flight number, not Boeing type) is a flight IAH-DEN. "3.5" was probably a typo.
Anyway, the veggie wrap is a shame - I saw it personally (ORD-IAH, Nov 25th) and someone should be fired for this brilliant idea of serving that crap. If you you are ever offered this or cheese plate, I´d take cheese plate.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Trotter Project? Ha!

What was the AA routing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.