Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
How was the sandwich? That looks like nice cheese between pretty questionable bread.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by findark
How was the sandwich? That looks like nice cheese between pretty questionable bread.
Yeah top bread slice was a bit dried out - I stopped in the galley and both the sandwiches and the wraps were kept in the cart with plastic lids onot top of porcelain plates - faster for service but dry cabin air removed a lot of moisture. Mozzarella was quite good.

David
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Feb 13 IAD-LAX Dinner

Flew IAD-LAX to connect onto LAX-SIN, so I was able to access Global First Lounge at IAD, and enjoyed a few pre-departure appetizers.

Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Meals in F on UX flights

I have a quick query for those who are in the know...

I have a UX flight on an E-175 from LGA-ORD seated in F. The blocked duration for the flight is 2hrs 48mins leaving at 4:30pm, which is meant to include a dinner going by United's website. Initially when I booked, a dinner was part of the flight. But on checking yesterday, it's now listed as "refreshments".

So has United changed their meals service for F on UX?

As I will be transferring from an earlier international flight, I'm not entirely sure if I will be hungry or not. But if meals are no longer served on flights of this duration, then I want to know beforehand so I can grab a meal before getting on the flight if I'm hungry.

Thanks everyone.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA is cutting their domestic catering faster than anyone can keep track.

LGA-ORD is coded Dinner on mainline which means according to the published rules it should be dinner on express as well. But it's not, as you note. I would be prepared for the Refreshments code to play out, and write in angrily if it does. This is just getting absurd.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sol95
I have a quick query for those who are in the know...

I have a UX flight on an E-175 from LGA-ORD seated in F. The blocked duration for the flight is 2hrs 48mins leaving at 4:30pm, which is meant to include a dinner going by United's website. Initially when I booked, a dinner was part of the flight. But on checking yesterday, it's now listed as "refreshments".

So has United changed their meals service for F on UX?

As I will be transferring from an earlier international flight, I'm not entirely sure if I will be hungry or not. But if meals are no longer served on flights of this duration, then I want to know beforehand so I can grab a meal before getting on the flight if I'm hungry.
It says refreshments? It should say snacks which is not any better.

Actually, I think that on those UAX flights, on the back you can purchase a tapas box which would be better (or if you are 1K or GS get it for free).
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
It says refreshments? It should say snacks which is not any better.

Actually, I think that on those UAX flights, on the back you can purchase a tapas box which would be better (or if you are 1K or GS get it for free).
Yeah, it actually says "refreshments".
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by sol95
Yeah, it actually says "refreshments".
This terminology is changing so fast on United. I had a flight last month on UAX that was supposed to be a full meal that was downgraded to a snack. And you get a bigger downgrade......
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
If you’re looking at your reservation, chances are it’s an error. It’ll likely go back to dinner at some point, and might change several times, including items like snack, or even Meal: 2 or meal: 5.

Best way way to check is by doing a dummy booking to see what it says, or looking up flight status for today’s flight ariund the same time. I just realized you said the flight was 4:30, which today is listed as ‘light snack and beverages” (E75). The 5, 6 and 7 flights, all main line, show as dinner. However, UA and UAX should be consistent based on time of departure - with UAX getting a cold dinner (no ovens) either a cold sandwich or I forget the typical other option, and mainline getting hot food. I’m not sure the breakdown of times for those exception flights (since its technically under the mileage limit for meals, but is an exception route), and if the 4:30 ever received dinner.
chermorg likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
in this instance probably an error on a competitive route. But yes, UA is devaluating meals faster than anyone can keep track. Soon there will be lottery at the gate ... we have 4 meals for the F cabin tonight ... grab you ticket and see if you won one!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I got a cheese plate for RIC-DEN on E-75, leaving in the late afternoon. That was the only choice for this flight.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I asked this same question in the meals thread a month ago hoping someone would report back with an update, since I noticed the coding had changed on all of the flights to "refreshments".. would be great if someone can provide a new update, specific to the express flights. Before the latest cuts, I actually enjoyed the UX F meals on the route.
sol95 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Given the competitive nature of the LGA-ORD route (vs DL shuttle flights), it seems likely UA will keep meal service on this route, even as an unpublished exception to the new <3hr rule. But as to OP, flight departs at 4:30. Under the new rules 2:20 to 2:59 flight time departing between 4pm and 8pm is a full meal. Expect the dinner.

Last edited by onthesam; Mar 5, 2018 at 6:53 pm Reason: grammar
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by onthesam
0. Under the new rules 2:20 to 2:59 flight time departing between 4pm and 8pm is a full meal. Expect the dinner.
I disagree, unfortunately.

While the OP should get a meal under the outlined description, meals are almost always what the code says it is. So if it says refreshments, expect just that. When in doubt, trust the code.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I got a cheese plate for RIC-DEN on E-75, leaving in the late afternoon. That was the only choice for this flight.
But, did you get crackers? Last year ORD-DEN I got the cheese plate with no crackers or bread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.